A32 30GV Vibration and Alignment Problems at High Speed

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
Hi all...

Just got a A32 30GV as company car, prev driven by a high mgmt in the company.

A few days ago, changed the tyres to Falken 912, since it was so highly recommended and popular. Really, no regrets!! The difference can be felt on highways, esp during wet weathers. Grip is so good compared to the prev fitted AR10.

However, the car steering rattles / vibrate when the speed is 120 to 140, and alignment veer to the left starting after 90. After 140, vibration reduced a bit but alignment problem persist. But the vibration will go off momentarily when increase or decrease speed.

Alignment, balancing, wheel pressing, chamber adjustment, all were carried out during tyre change.

Additionally, the prev set of AR10 have the thread makan a bit more on the left wheel. I thought it was the alignment but obviously it was not.

Since the standard tyre adjustment procedures were carried out, I suspect the problem might be due to the car itself. But i need some opinion on where to start from to pin point the problem...

I travel KL-Johor very often and usually in the early morning, so usually drive at rather high speed, but this problem is bothering me...

Help and comments appreciated!!

KP61

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Visit site
Probably your balancing wasn't done properly. Normally this is the only case as driveshaft play will cause vibrations even at low speed. Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
thanx for ur reply KP61...

I suspected it was the mechanical part imperfection cos the previous set of AR10 also suffer the same problems at the same speed range.... strange...

Anyway, will try balancing at other shop...

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Hi CTK22, You should try to ask for an On-Wheel balancing. Takes a bit more time and cost a bit more. But you will get it fix or at least you know what is wrong. No need to guess ma.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
hmm... good idea on wheel balancing...

any recommended shop near subang / sunway?

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Not too sure about Subang/Sunway. Can try out the Michelin shop along old klang road 3rd mile. Opposite Esso station.
They always doing a good job!

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
thanx for your suggestion...
went back to the same tyre shop and complained, and demanded to have on-wheel balancing and re-alignment...
They found out that the steering rack bush torn out, therefore some freeplay... But that wont affect the alignment right?

Anyway, after on-wheel balancing and re-alignment, have not tried it on high speed yet...

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
thanx for your suggestion...
went back to the same tyre shop and complained, and demanded to have on-wheel balancing and re-alignment...
They found out that the steering rack bush torn out, therefore some freeplay... But that wont affect the alignment right?

Anyway, after on-wheel balancing and re-alignment, have not tried it on high speed yet...
ctk22, First of all r u using aftermarket sport rims? If ur rims does not fit the hubs, there might be some vibration on your steering but it is not dangerous. Try to fit a pair of cons on the front rims.

Secondly, try to check (ask mechanic) whether u have a worn inner CV joint (the one connected to the gearbox). That would probably cause some vibration too.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
I'm bringing back this topic to share my findings (not solution) after some extensive use and parts replacement of the car.

My prev set of Falken 912 has been replaced, cos the "out of alignment" problem caused the tyre to "makan" one side, until the wires also can be seen! Luckily i noticed it early. The tyre ran for 25000km only when replaced. Such a waste!

Since then, I'm on Michelin XM1, which to me feels like better than Falken 912. However, despite a few adjustment, the alignment problem still not going away. I have even changed the steering rod/mounting/rubber/etc, but it is still persist...

One thing I found out, the alignment tends to be "running", means sometimes it"ll steer to left, but sometimes after cornering it'll be straight and sometimes steer a bit to right. Tyre shop told me it's absorber mounting problem. Never check on it yet, cos the last replacement of mountings etc still have me bleeding...

Anyone encounter this before? Any other parts that might be causing this "running" alignment problem??

seizai

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I'm bringing back this topic to share my findings (not solution) after some extensive use and parts replacement of the car.

My prev set of Falken 912 has been replaced, cos the "out of alignment" problem caused the tyre to "makan" one side, until the wires also can be seen! Luckily i noticed it early. The tyre ran for 25000km only when replaced. Such a waste!

Since then, I'm on Michelin XM1, which to me feels like better than Falken 912. However, despite a few adjustment, the alignment problem still not going away. I have even changed the steering rod/mounting/rubber/etc, but it is still persist...

One thing I found out, the alignment tends to be "running", means sometimes it"ll steer to left, but sometimes after cornering it'll be straight and sometimes steer a bit to right. Tyre shop told me it's absorber mounting problem. Never check on it yet, cos the last replacement of mountings etc still have me bleeding...

Anyone encounter this before? Any other parts that might be causing this "running" alignment problem??
sound like somthing loose..

bush?

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
did previous owner change Bolt-knuckle arm before? if yes u need to do leveling for ur suspension set before tighening.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
Sorry late replies...

XTEC, i saw the tyre shop actually did the levelling during adjustment of the alignment...

Seeing not much options on the solutions, I will go ahead with replacing the absorber mountings and see whether there's any improvement.

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
One more thing to check.
I remember our Feilo Sifu told us about this Castor Joint.
It's not suppose to be adjustable and it's only a mounting.
But over time, it might cause problem.

Imagine your front 2 wheels, you can adjust camber (+ or - 1degree), adjust left right with steering rack and joint. Caster allows your to move your wheel front or back!
Normally no cars allow caster adjusting.. But this can contribute to tyre kena makan...

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
thanx for the suggestion dream.tent.

Dint know front / back adjustment using caster. Will highlight to my mechanic.

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
It's due to long time of stressed!
Changing the mounting can only soften the knocking sound.
But the position of the arm will have allowance moving front and back as there are spaces/gap at the mounting.

Just highlighting...but not confirm it's the case.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
Just to share the solution of my problems

After numerous visits to the workshop and tyre shop, my consistent alignment problem was finally solved.

The culprit is so-called "absorber mounting", as shown in the photos below. One showing the torn mounting disc, and another showing the installed new one. Cant imagine such a thin fibre disc (around 5mm thk only) can withstand so much load, and doing the rotation at the same time.

Luckily I changed the mounting earlier, cos already notice the absorber steel plate (holder) already starting to scratch on the car body (the one that's with screw).

The car steering felt a bit lighter and smoother after change

By the way, in the process, I learnt that for a big and heavy car like ceffy, we shud not use adjustable camber nuts. Cos the prev i used, the small protrusion on the screw meant for adjustment of camber is already makan almost flat, thus resulting in loose and changing camber config everytime we hit the pothhole. One more thing is, the camber nut's strength also not as good as the ori screw.

Attachments

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Good for you! So how much have to spend to get tat fixed?

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
so u will able to find ori camber nut & fix back. how much will it cost.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
Cant recall the exact price, but the mounting is around RM55/pc

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi there....need a little help here

my idle speed goes variable...what can i do to fix it??? any sifus hav
any idea???? i appreciate ur advise..^^

my ride is hyundai coupe 1.8L year 97.....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience