A question about Nissan Leaf's rumored price.

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
I've heard that the electric car Nissan Leaf is going to be launched over here soon with the estimated/rumored price of around RM168k. So, the question is, do you think it is feasible to buy this electric car at such a price?

I think not. Well, there are some people who have been arguing with me over the internet about my opinion though. I was thinking like, if the motive is for saving the cost of petrol bills, why not just buy a cheaper car like Prius, Insight or Prius C for example and you still have a few thousand(around 20k plus for Prius and over 50k for Prius C or Insight) RM left for petrol bills.

buy a viva for RM48k and save another Rm120k. It can cover until your 4th generation's fuel bills. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

buy a viva for RM48k and save another Rm120k. It can cover until your 4th generation's fuel bills. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah but the problem is some people might need a proper boot space and interior space and Viva doesn't fit into that criteria. But if the purpose of buying a hybrid or electric car is just for saving the of petrol bill, then you are right.

Look at I-Miev's price then you roughly know the price of electric cars...

Mitsubishi I-Miev at RM136K and cruising can only travel 150KM per charge...130KM/H max speed and 196nm of torque...:banghead:
Really a car meant for rich ppl to buy for Maid to go market buy some vege and meat...:frown:

Mitsubishi I-Miev at RM136K and cruising can only travel 150KM per charge...130KM/H max speed and 196nm of torque...:banghead:
Really a car meant for rich ppl to buy for Maid to go market buy some vege and meat...:frown:

Exactly what I wanted to say.
But selling electric car in Malaysia is 80% not logical,
because, 80% of our energy is made by coal. -.-

Exactly what I wanted to say.
But selling electric car in Malaysia is 80% not logical,
because, 80% of our energy is made by coal. -.-

People already afraid of electricity bills...yet charging up a car overnight...:hmmmm:
Wonder how much power pump into the car...this i not sure as well...

Don't think is cheap to maintain....

The maintenance would be in a different way with internal combustion engine. Perhaps all those electric motors and stuffs inside the engine needed a different kind of maintenance.

I think its perfectly understandable why EVs are marketed at such high prices.

These are not aimed at those who are looking to reduce their monthly bills. Given the relatively new technology used in manufacturing EVs, the Leaf and I-Mievs are nothing more than a showcase for Nissan and Mitsubishi. It's a toe-in-water model, if you will.

It's the same case with first generation of mobile phones. Big, cumbersome and very, very expensive. Given time, provided the concept is sound, the technology will mature and it gets cheaper and more accessible to the general public. The same applies here IMO.

Last edited:
0QRr05V.jpg

because some people prefer it up the ass.

not me. and i don't discriminate. by all means go ahead.

The only electric car I'll ever want is that Lemans racer that Chris Harris drove on Drive//. Great mileage and 4000nm of torque. :biggrin:

Therefore this girl is maid la :biggrin:

I can see myself owning a LEAF - YouTube

Hmmm, bad marketing Nissan... LEAF is not for normal people due to the price.. 2nd if they are targeting bloggers, they are targeting the rich ones who does gossip n catfights (bcoz our news talks about it all day)

anyway abu affording it, are we ready for the parts? especially the BATTERY? i heard battery price is expensive as a car !!

hybrids and electric cars are owned by rich ppl, in malaysia case..
Just like the beetle...

the hybrids/electric cars hardly benefitted the average joes in malaysia....even though the fuel consumption is much lower...

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

The maintenance would be in a different way with internal combustion engine. Perhaps all those electric motors and stuffs inside the engine needed a different kind of maintenance.

this means you couldnt send the electric cars to Ah Kow worksop under the cherry tree for maintenace anymore. The only place is the authorised service center, which most likely gonna slaughter the car owner kaw-kaw...

So, in malaysia, no doubt electric cars has noble cause and benefits.....but only works for rich ppl, and judging from our flip flop govt.....a "yes" in the policy can be "no" tomorrow....

Electric cars might still grow to be common in Malaysia but not today, not this year nor next year. Probably will take many more years. What Pwhyze said is right. It's like the case of first generation mobile phones. I'm sure during those days, not many people would be able to imagine the situation on today where almost everyone ranging from pre-school kids to senior citizens, all owning or at least using a smartphone.

The problem in general with Malaysians is that we all condemn before a product even takes off. Yes, it might be out of your price range if you currently only drive a perodua, proton or b-segment jap car. But that doesn't mean it's not for some people who really look into reducing their carbon footprint in a serious manner. Asking a person to pay 180k for a d-segment car all no complaints and acceptable. Ask to buy an EV for 168k, the feeling is worse than pulling all your teeth out in exchange. If you only look at saving your pocket, probably the model isn't talking to you. It is meant for people who are really looking at a cleaner, better future. Not those who want to save a buck or expect a car like an EV to deliver their dreams. This is the type of mentality from Malaysians now. Talk about global warming and pollution, but condemn when they see price.

And it isn't meant for the rich, but people willing to make that first step. I know a friend who drives a Vios and she and her husband are seriously considering trading in their 2 cars (they have 3 cars in their household) for this Leaf after they saw in Bangsar. It is encouraging that people try to make a difference. Maybe manufacturers can't do much about the price since just manufacturing cost is probably higher. So many parts not similar to petrol cars. But we should encourage, instead of sounding like bloody cheapos.

If it's only meant for showcase, I wonder why more automakers are going the electric route slowly. Just that some believe that people all don't want to compromise and still want to pump petrol to feel safer. Apparently charging at home every night is more worrying than thinking about an empty tank.

The problem in general with Malaysians is that we all condemn before a product even takes off. Yes, it might be out of your price range if you currently only drive a perodua, proton or b-segment jap car. But that doesn't mean it's not for some people who really look into reducing their carbon footprint in a serious manner. Asking a person to pay 180k for a d-segment car all no complaints and acceptable. Ask to buy an EV for 168k, the feeling is worse than pulling all your teeth out in exchange. If you only look at saving your pocket, probably the model isn't talking to you. It is meant for people who are really looking at a cleaner, better future. Not those who want to save a buck or expect a car like an EV to deliver their dreams. This is the type of mentality from Malaysians now. Talk about global warming and pollution, but condemn when they see price.

And it isn't meant for the rich, but people willing to make that first step. I know a friend who drives a Vios and she and her husband are seriously considering trading in their 2 cars (they have 3 cars in their household) for this Leaf after they saw in Bangsar. It is encouraging that people try to make a difference. Maybe manufacturers can't do much about the price since just manufacturing cost is probably higher. So many parts not similar to petrol cars. But we should encourage, instead of sounding like bloody cheapos.

If it's only meant for showcase, I wonder why more automakers are going the electric route slowly. Just that some believe that people all don't want to compromise and still want to pump petrol to feel safer. Apparently charging at home every night is more worrying than thinking about an empty tank.

You talk the talk about pollution and all. But with the majority of the electricity generated in Msia being from coal, how does driving a EV help? I can't be sure but I'm guessing 1 million cars with varying emissions can't be as high as the total number of Tenaga coal processing plants waste output?

And don't even get me started on hybrids. The way they are made and shipped cause more damage to the environment than you can save in 20 years driving a hybrid.

EVs and Hybrids that claim to save the environment are hypocritical vehicles. I prefer the more honest EVs like the Volt that uses petrol to power the motors and hybrids like the one found in Porsches that boost the performance of the car whilst reducing most of the cars emissions without affecting too much of the car price.

Hell, why doesn't anyone talk about the Honda FCX Clarity which is the true environmental car. Hydrogen powered and only water as emission. If they can figure out the most environmentally safe way to produce and ship the car then Honda has it made.

Sylver:

Don't assume and make conclusions too soon base on what you think why some 'condemn' electric cars. Is not that some wanted to condemn but look at the specs...like u said, ur friend plan to sell off 2 cars and get the Nissan Leaf instead....160km distance per charge? Seriously?

So, how do u expect to use it for longer journeys? Maybe there will be stations to charge electricity cars or so in future...maybe, but spend few hours charging at stations then continue their journey? :hmmmm:

The specs itself to me, doesnt make it convincing enough for ppl to get one base on the price as well. If it can travel long distance with decent speed and not Max speed at 140km/h. Then that would be a better consideration.

The main put off for me is the distance it can travel and the price is just too costly for its specs.
There is no selling point base on consumers demand. Then you may say a lot are not willing to take the 1st step. Why some rather buy a 180K D-Segment car than Nissan Leaf? Go figure in comparisons in terms of consumers point of view and needs.

EVs being great help in reducing pollution? I'm not sure how it helps by using huge amount of electricity in charging those EVs is actually helping mother nature. I wonder why our government did encourage us to cut down the usage on electricity and also have EARTH HOUR every year. :hmmmm2:

Charging every night at home is not worrying? Guess u have not started paying bills? We havent even started on the cost of maintaining EVs...

All the talk, since according to you is not meant for the rich and those who can afford only but actually meant for the those who are willing to take the 1st step in making the world a better place. Have you taken the 1st step in owning one then? :smokin:

Last edited:
You talk the talk about pollution and all. But with the majority of the electricity generated in Msia being from coal, how does driving a EV help? I can't be sure but I'm guessing 1 million cars with varying emissions can't be as high as the total number of Tenaga coal processing plants waste output?

And don't even get me started on hybrids. The way they are made and shipped cause more damage to the environment than you can save in 20 years driving a hybrid.

EVs and Hybrids that claim to save the environment are hypocritical vehicles. I prefer the more honest EVs like the Volt that uses petrol to power the motors and hybrids like the one found in Porsches that boost the performance of the car whilst reducing most of the cars emissions without affecting too much of the car price.

Hell, why doesn't anyone talk about the Honda FCX Clarity which is the true environmental car. Hydrogen powered and only water as emission. If they can figure out the most environmentally safe way to produce and ship the car then Honda has it made.

Yep, in terms of true environmentally friendly vehichle, the FCX concept is the best one.

One snag with that is they haven't find a method of extracting Hydrogen without involving large input of power. Solve that, then Hydrogen is definitely the next 'fossil fuel' (in that it powers almost everything..hehe)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom