A question about Nissan Leaf's rumored price.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Electric cars might still grow to be common in Malaysia but not today, not this year nor next year. Probably will take many more years. What Pwhyze said is right. It's like the case of first generation mobile phones. I'm sure during those days, not many people would be able to imagine the situation on today where almost everyone ranging from pre-school kids to senior citizens, all owning or at least using a smartphone.

Sylver

Jan 6, 2010
Subang Jaya
The problem in general with Malaysians is that we all condemn before a product even takes off. Yes, it might be out of your price range if you currently only drive a perodua, proton or b-segment jap car. But that doesn't mean it's not for some people who really look into reducing their carbon footprint in a serious manner. Asking a person to pay 180k for a d-segment car all no complaints and acceptable. Ask to buy an EV for 168k, the feeling is worse than pulling all your teeth out in exchange. If you only look at saving your pocket, probably the model isn't talking to you. It is meant for people who are really looking at a cleaner, better future. Not those who want to save a buck or expect a car like an EV to deliver their dreams. This is the type of mentality from Malaysians now. Talk about global warming and pollution, but condemn when they see price.

And it isn't meant for the rich, but people willing to make that first step. I know a friend who drives a Vios and she and her husband are seriously considering trading in their 2 cars (they have 3 cars in their household) for this Leaf after they saw in Bangsar. It is encouraging that people try to make a difference. Maybe manufacturers can't do much about the price since just manufacturing cost is probably higher. So many parts not similar to petrol cars. But we should encourage, instead of sounding like bloody cheapos.

If it's only meant for showcase, I wonder why more automakers are going the electric route slowly. Just that some believe that people all don't want to compromise and still want to pump petrol to feel safer. Apparently charging at home every night is more worrying than thinking about an empty tank.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The problem in general with Malaysians is that we all condemn before a product even takes off. Yes, it might be out of your price range if you currently only drive a perodua, proton or b-segment jap car. But that doesn't mean it's not for some people who really look into reducing their carbon footprint in a serious manner. Asking a person to pay 180k for a d-segment car all no complaints and acceptable. Ask to buy an EV for 168k, the feeling is worse than pulling all your teeth out in exchange. If you only look at saving your pocket, probably the model isn't talking to you. It is meant for people who are really looking at a cleaner, better future. Not those who want to save a buck or expect a car like an EV to deliver their dreams. This is the type of mentality from Malaysians now. Talk about global warming and pollution, but condemn when they see price.

And it isn't meant for the rich, but people willing to make that first step. I know a friend who drives a Vios and she and her husband are seriously considering trading in their 2 cars (they have 3 cars in their household) for this Leaf after they saw in Bangsar. It is encouraging that people try to make a difference. Maybe manufacturers can't do much about the price since just manufacturing cost is probably higher. So many parts not similar to petrol cars. But we should encourage, instead of sounding like bloody cheapos.

If it's only meant for showcase, I wonder why more automakers are going the electric route slowly. Just that some believe that people all don't want to compromise and still want to pump petrol to feel safer. Apparently charging at home every night is more worrying than thinking about an empty tank.
You talk the talk about pollution and all. But with the majority of the electricity generated in Msia being from coal, how does driving a EV help? I can't be sure but I'm guessing 1 million cars with varying emissions can't be as high as the total number of Tenaga coal processing plants waste output?

And don't even get me started on hybrids. The way they are made and shipped cause more damage to the environment than you can save in 20 years driving a hybrid.

EVs and Hybrids that claim to save the environment are hypocritical vehicles. I prefer the more honest EVs like the Volt that uses petrol to power the motors and hybrids like the one found in Porsches that boost the performance of the car whilst reducing most of the cars emissions without affecting too much of the car price.

Hell, why doesn't anyone talk about the Honda FCX Clarity which is the true environmental car. Hydrogen powered and only water as emission. If they can figure out the most environmentally safe way to produce and ship the car then Honda has it made.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Sylver:

Don't assume and make conclusions too soon base on what you think why some 'condemn' electric cars. Is not that some wanted to condemn but look at the specs...like u said, ur friend plan to sell off 2 cars and get the Nissan Leaf instead....160km distance per charge? Seriously?

So, how do u expect to use it for longer journeys? Maybe there will be stations to charge electricity cars or so in future...maybe, but spend few hours charging at stations then continue their journey? :hmmmm:

The specs itself to me, doesnt make it convincing enough for ppl to get one base on the price as well. If it can travel long distance with decent speed and not Max speed at 140km/h. Then that would be a better consideration.

The main put off for me is the distance it can travel and the price is just too costly for its specs.
There is no selling point base on consumers demand. Then you may say a lot are not willing to take the 1st step. Why some rather buy a 180K D-Segment car than Nissan Leaf? Go figure in comparisons in terms of consumers point of view and needs.

EVs being great help in reducing pollution? I'm not sure how it helps by using huge amount of electricity in charging those EVs is actually helping mother nature. I wonder why our government did encourage us to cut down the usage on electricity and also have EARTH HOUR every year. :hmmmm2:

Charging every night at home is not worrying? Guess u have not started paying bills? We havent even started on the cost of maintaining EVs...

All the talk, since according to you is not meant for the rich and those who can afford only but actually meant for the those who are willing to take the 1st step in making the world a better place. Have you taken the 1st step in owning one then? :smokin:

Last edited:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
You talk the talk about pollution and all. But with the majority of the electricity generated in Msia being from coal, how does driving a EV help? I can't be sure but I'm guessing 1 million cars with varying emissions can't be as high as the total number of Tenaga coal processing plants waste output?

And don't even get me started on hybrids. The way they are made and shipped cause more damage to the environment than you can save in 20 years driving a hybrid.

EVs and Hybrids that claim to save the environment are hypocritical vehicles. I prefer the more honest EVs like the Volt that uses petrol to power the motors and hybrids like the one found in Porsches that boost the performance of the car whilst reducing most of the cars emissions without affecting too much of the car price.

Hell, why doesn't anyone talk about the Honda FCX Clarity which is the true environmental car. Hydrogen powered and only water as emission. If they can figure out the most environmentally safe way to produce and ship the car then Honda has it made.
Yep, in terms of true environmentally friendly vehichle, the FCX concept is the best one.

One snag with that is they haven't find a method of extracting Hydrogen without involving large input of power. Solve that, then Hydrogen is definitely the next 'fossil fuel' (in that it powers almost everything..hehe)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

The Hybrid that impressed me would be the new 918 Spider. Very impressive performance figures and even a more impressive mileage for fuel consumption.

We don't even have Hydrogen refueling stations in here.

Sylver:

Don't assume and make conclusions too soon base on what you think why some 'condemn' electric cars. Is not that some wanted to condemn but look at the specs...like u said, ur friend plan to sell off 2 cars and get the Nissan Leaf instead....160km distance per charge? Seriously?

So, how do u expect to use it for longer journeys? Maybe there will be stations to charge electricity cars or so in future...maybe, but spend few hours charging at stations then continue their journey? :hmmmm:

The specs itself to me, doesnt make it convincing enough for ppl to get one base on the price as well. If it can travel long distance with decent speed and not Max speed at 140km/h. Then that would be a better consideration.

The main put off for me is the distance it can travel and the price is just too costly for its specs.
There is no selling point base on consumers demand. Then you may say a lot are not willing to take the 1st step. Why some rather buy a 180K D-Segment car than Nissan Leaf? Go figure in comparisons in terms of consumers point of view and needs.

EVs being great help in reducing pollution? I'm not sure how it helps by using huge amount of electricity in charging those EVs is actually helping mother nature. I wonder why our government did encourage us to cut down the usage on electricity and also have EARTH HOUR every year. :hmmmm2:

Charging every night at home is not worrying? Guess u have not started paying bills? We havent even started on the cost of maintaining EVs...

All the talk, since according to you is not meant for the rich and those who can afford only but actually meant for the those who are willing to take the 1st step in making the world a better place. Have you taken the 1st step in owning one then? :smokin:
Charging needs few hours? Not too sure about this but I think it takes less than that in some fast charging stations. I think it depends on the voltage. Checked on Wikipedia that some of the longest would be 6-8 hours while the fastest would be 20-30 minutes. Still slow compared to petrol refueling though.

About saving the environment thing, from one point of view it is true that it can in terms of using less petrol. But like what Izso has said, the manufacturing process and shipping had damaged the environment as well. Don't forget the batteries. I think it is quite harmful to the environment if it is simply disposed.

It's ironic that they are saying things like go green in front of people but at the back, they are actually killing the environment in their pursuit to go 'green'.

BTW, what's up for this post, suddenly write a lot more than usual? No offence.

Yep, in terms of true environmentally friendly vehichle, the FCX concept is the best one.

One snag with that is they haven't find a method of extracting Hydrogen without involving large input of power. Solve that, then Hydrogen is definitely the next 'fossil fuel' (in that it powers almost everything..hehe)
RX-8 and BMW 7 Series also got hydrogen variant. Not only Honda is experimenting with Hydrogen. Can't remember what other Hydrogen cars are available out there...:hmmmm:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
The Hybrid that impressed me would be the new 918 Spider. Very impressive performance figures and even a more impressive mileage for fuel consumption.

We don't even have Hydrogen refueling stations in here.

Charging needs few hours? Not too sure about this but I think it takes less than that in some fast charging stations. I think it depends on the voltage. Checked on Wikipedia that some of the longest would be 6-8 hours while the fastest would be 20-30 minutes. Still slow compared to petrol refueling though.

About saving the environment thing, from one point of view it is true that it can in terms of using less petrol. But like what Izso has said, the manufacturing process and shipping had damaged the environment as well. Don't forget the batteries. I think it is quite harmful to the environment if it is simply disposed.

It's ironic that they are saying things like go green in front of people but at the back, they are actually killing the environment in their pursuit to go 'green'.

BTW, what's up for this post, suddenly write a lot more than usual? No offence.

RX-8 and BMW 7 Series also got hydrogen variant. Not only Honda is experimenting with Hydrogen. Can't remember what other Hydrogen cars are available out there...:hmmmm:
Ya, just an assumption of the estimated time needed to charge the car since even smartphones need few hours to charge it full. They don't have stations to charge these cars yet and the travel distance is too short and price is kinda high for such specs. So still have a few things not ready for the EVs car yet.

How much it will cost every single full charge, those are still uncertain. Electricity bills aint cheap. If it can charge up that fast, not sure how much power needed to pump it that fast.

So, go green car? tell me about it.

Usually I do type this long depends on whether it is worth replying or something that aint sound right. :biggrin:

Well he did indirectly say 'we condemn' EVs cars. So, just making a point. No offence on that.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ya, just an assumption of the estimated time needed to charge the car since even smartphones need few hours to charge it full. They don't have stations to charge these cars yet and the travel distance is too short and price is kinda high for such specs. So still have a few things not ready for the EVs car yet.

How much it will cost every single full charge, those are still uncertain. Electricity bills aint cheap. If it can charge up that fast, not sure how much power needed to pump it that fast.

So, go green car? tell me about it.

Usually I do type this long depends on whether it is worth replying or something that aint sound right. :biggrin:

Well he did indirectly say 'we condemn' EVs cars. So, just making a point. No offence on that.
One more thing to be considered is the safety of these charging stations. With that kind of voltage, any short circuit happens, then there goes your life.

Also I've read about Hybrid cars have a risk of electrocuting a person in the case of a road accident because the electricity might leak out. Can be dangerous for the victim and those rescuers if they don't know about how to handle Hybrid cars. Simply chop the car to remove the victim might end up killing the rescuer. A friend of mine who had a brother working in a halfcut shop in Japan told me that his brother said there is a case of a worker in Japan who died of electric shock when he was cutting up a hybrid in a halfcut shop. So, they need to be very careful when cutting up hybrid cars.

Haha, when you type so long, you sounded very serious.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Those I believe are hydrogen internal combustion, where as the Honda (as well other models) is Hydrogen Fuel cell. Slight difference in the way they make power (Fuel cell would produce electricity which would drive an electric motor whereas hydrogen internal combustion is pretty much self-explanatory).

Slight difference in methods but I believe both produce H2O as the only byproduct. Interesting to note that hydrogen combustion produce less power than fuel combustion engines.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Those I believe are hydrogen internal combustion, where as the Honda (as well other models) is Hydrogen Fuel cell. Slight difference in the way they make power (Fuel cell would produce electricity which would drive an electric motor whereas hydrogen internal combustion is pretty much self-explanatory).

Slight difference in methods but I believe both produce H2O as the only byproduct. Interesting to note that hydrogen combustion produce less power than fuel combustion engines.
I understand now after some research. Thanks for telling.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

where wud u all recommend ha? best in terms of workmanship and of course, a good reasonable price too lar... hehe...

;)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience