4g93P: oil trouble.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
i have no idea when or how this started but i'l give you a quick run-down.

the spark plug area of the 4g93p rocker cover is seeping oil. most probably from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spark plug bolts. no crack is visible. oil starts to appear in that contained area after driving and shutting off the engine (it seems that way).

so far, here's what i've done to try and rectify the problem:

1. thought bolt threads have worn out, so changed all 4 spark plug bolts. also, these bolts were torqued according to the manual in case some of you might have thought i'd over torqued them.

2. thought gaskets were gone. so i changed the spark plug area gaskets as well as the rocker cover one while i was at it.

3. thought it was time to service, so i changed oil to my usual Q8 semi synthetic along with original proton oil filter.

4. figured it might be the PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) since it was kinda stuck and the hose was cracked at both ends so i changed both items.

none of these solved the problem!!!

could fouled spark plugs cause this to happen?

somebody pls help.

malyadayada

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
hey whatdamn how r u?
still driving ur putra hehhehehe...
did encounter this problem last month i thought the oil came out from the spark plug but it was the rocker cover gasket fault...
get meself a new rocker cover gasket put some hi temp glue(red kaler) on the gasket n slap it in to the head...

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
malyadayada,
hey man, i'm doing alright. :) how's your 93p?
definitely not the rocker cover gasket, like i said, i changed it already. even the semi circular packing was changed and freaking good quality 3M gasket sealant was used as recommended by the workshop manual.

anyone else?

malyadayada

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
mine's doin gr8 ..thanx man.......
hurm mine that semi circular thingy patah...n the mechanic slap some actually lots of glue to render it from break again.....

either i dont have any clue....
sorie aite.....

Last edited:

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
better change the thing the next time you change your rocker cover gasket. as it will eventually fail prematurely. no worries :)

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
if oil come out from plug area...it shoulb be the plug gasket...tat the only way the oil can seeping out..

if oledi change it, maybe gasket didnt sit propwerly, re-check it again and apply a layer of gasket glue if possible....

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
huakenny,
the gasket seats properly because the there's a channel to fit the gasket in and the gasket itself has bumps on its side to help secure it in place.

been told by the mech that the most probable cause is a warped rocker cover.

so i guess one way to check it would be to take it out and place it on a piece of glass to see how warped it is.

suggestions?

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
that's the thing, no extra rocker cover. so it's either use glass to confirm the cover has warped, or buy a new rocker from proton which costs RM1180 new. gosh.

e819

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2004
rocker cover cheap2 nia.. gi 2 hafkat shop enough.. rm 40 ++ for the dohc cover

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
e819,
true la, but you never know that the cover has got no flaws like whether it's warped as well! hahah. anyway, i'll check it out. thanks.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
fcuk man, found the leak. turns out there was a crack. only thing is i didn't notice it cause of the angle tha i viewed the rocker cover from. here's the pics.

2nd cylinder plug area

3rd cylinder plug area

so sad la. really have to buy a new cover. apparently the price Proton parts center was to high, so a nearby parts shop quoted me RM746 for a brand new ori cover...hmmm, any thoughts on that? he said it's a 110% genuine original proton part.

Last edited: