20 ways you waste money on your car & learn how to protect her

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
why paint protections matters?
Cars make us irrational. We call them our babies and lovingly wax them every weekend ... Either mindset will cost you money, sometimes a lot of it

MSN recently wrote a beautiful article "20 ways that we can waste money on our cars will be "
Car washes. Ten bucks for long lines and gray water? Nothing shows you care like doing it yourself.

a common scene in Malaysia (this was shot 14 months ago) (car age - 8 months old)

the most severe country affected with acid rains

just after 10 days or so without washing her (this was shot 14 months ago) (car age -8 months old)

that is the very reason, our car instruction manual hand book recommends us to wax as often as we change our engine oils....

I have been doing a study on the effectiveness on paint protection?
at my own discretion, in quietly & secretly on my sis new car....

22 months ago (car age 1 month old)

when she got her ride 2 years ago, I offer to detail her ride, at the beginning I did the washing & wax

but 8 months later, when she is got busy....the ride became.....turning from white to zebra

a year later I got some OPTI COATING from USA and without her knowledge, I embark on this secret voyage...since she doesnt have the time to maintain her ride, by putting on the world's acclaim coating on.
.........hoping to find a solution for people like her..........perhaps to treat her laziness

nobody knew in my family, i even make some shots after the coating (car age 8 months old)

position mark on the hood

the uncoated side

the following day, i did some day light shots, in order to documenting this study

not too bad after 8 months (age 8 months old) driving & in spite of sending it regularly to the road side wash

(age 8 months old)

left side - Pls pay extra attention to this part (the non coated part)

giving back to her ride like new (age 8 months old)

__________________________________3 months later

(car age 12 months old)

on the uncoated side - Left side

12 months later (car age - 20 months old)
pay more attention on the Left side - swirls & rids became very visible

read more
after coating for 12 months (car age - 20 months old)

very obvious difference & visible

day shot (car age - 20 months old)

by this time differences is more define

___________________________________(13 months later)
(car age - 21 months old)

13 months later after coating (car age - 21 months old)

13 months later after coating (car age - 21 months old)

now

3 months later

12 months later

13 months later (now)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
remember what happen to the uncoated side 3 months - minor scratches is already found visible
some compassion close up shot

and now 13 months later became worst

day time after 14 months

simple conclusion
better protection = means lesser contamination = means lesser scratches gonna to be inflicted during washing (a coated surface is a tension surface - better repellent) in this case better protection on the coated side

see again
on this very left side (uncoated) very visible scratches can be seen

as compare with the protected side (it is not so much of an issue)

the conclusion
the very part of the paint is protected - it will with stand the stress & test of time
12 months later

NOW - 13 months later

look at the coated side

better protection = means lesser contamination = means lesser scratches gonna to be inflicted during washing

Why protecting?
The finish on your car, from the primer through the top coat, is just .004 to .006 of an inch thick. It is inevitable that our clear coat paint would deteriorate and become dull with time. Acids Rain, winds, extreme heat, pollution from factory emission, insect fluids and bird droppings damage the car's finish. protection such as wax, sealant
it would be even better after coating as it adds another .002 -.003 of an inch thick on our clear
this acts as a barrier between the car finish and the degrading factors.
its time every owner should start taking care of their investment.

just a weekly wash & a monthly wax will drive a long way

better protection = means lesser contamination = means lesser scratches gonna to be inflicted during washing

Last edited:

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
here are some of the comments I got from autogeekonline.com

the most happening detailing geek community ...in USA

enjoy ya

Very neat experiment, your sister is probably hoping you coat the whole car now.
Great long term test and review. Did you ever tell your sister you did this? Didn't she ever wonder why there was a line done her hood and one side was clean and the other so dirty?
Great write up KC!!!! :xyxthumbs:
Well done KC, nice write up :dblthumb2:
Great in depth review KC, always enjoy your detail write-up. Never thought the versatility of coating...
Good job, great pictures, even though the color of your sister's car is white, your shots clearly showed the difference in the treated and un-treated areas. Thanks.
This is a clear example of why we do what we do and why our vehicles are the envy of others. While I have enough products to outlast several lifetimes it's something that I enjoy doing and all my vehicles are a reflection of my obsession.

Awesome writeup KC and thank you for such an informative post!! :dblthumb2:
There's nothing better to put on a new car than Opti Coat. Best decision I ever made in terms of protecting my car against the elements...NOW throw in salt, harsh North East winters, and it becomes even more important.

This is one of the first reviews I've seen on Opti Coat over the LONG term...makes me smile even more...seeing is believing. Thanks again Dr G...and your awesome staff.
KC's- Great long term review :bowdown: I am amazed!

I have just recently (as in the past week) discovered the joys of Opti-Coat, it feels really good to have a visual representation of how much protection my cars are going to have over the coming years. Thank you! I will need to save this thread for future reference to show others.
Excellent write-up!!
thanks guys for yr many wonder words & encouragement

I am amazed to get such an respond from you guys

will be repplying u soon once i get the 911 turbo done

cheerios
excellent write up! very cool pics!
wow!

Great job showing the benefits of opti-coat but I can't believe anyone would drive around with a car with the hood half clean/half dirty looking for 13 months. I'd be to embarassed.
Awsome thread, this should be shown to any of the haters that say waxing/sealing is pointless. Think i'll be getting some opticoat from AG, shame its not sold in the uk.
This is really cool...cause I just Opti-Coated my car. I was hoping to read some durability threads but these pics give great comparisons about its protection. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Thanks for sharing
awesome

I wonder why I haven't seen an infomercial for one of these coatings as yet. Only enthusiasts seem to know about them.

Are they that difficult to apply for the general public?
Excellent documentation and a great read! Well done:applause:
WOW, good to see products that really work
Dang KC! Completely awesome. Very cool experiment. That difference is incredible!

to read more 20 ways you waste money on your car - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks buddy for all the kind words

not to worry of the cost - a more affordable than many others...:biggrin:

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Agree with your findings KC. On white/light coloured cars, coatings are definitely a must!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Really thanks for this research you've done. Taking time to wait for the results for months. If it were me, I will crave for the results day and night and it makes me crazy. Thank you for your patience. Actually I have seen this in autogeek and have thought of acquiring it. I'm also tempted to try. Maybe can get from you some day? Opti-guard and Opti-coat 2.0 right?

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Really thanks for this research you've done. Taking time to wait for the results for months. If it were me, I will crave for the results day and night and it makes me crazy. Thank you for your patience. Actually I have seen this in autogeek and have thought of acquiring it. I'm also tempted to try. Maybe can get from you some day? Opti-guard and Opti-coat 2.0 right?

no worries....just like u spent 3 weeks with george & apes.....I salute yr passion as well
keep in touch ya
Agree with your findings KC. On white/light coloured cars, coatings are definitely a must!
Thank bro....agreed

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Arnold Schwarzenegger has one and the Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have one in their garage - the roadster from Tesla. Now the electro car manufacturer will hit the market with a 4-door limousine and space for 7 person.

With a range up to 450km and 45-minute QuickCharge, the Tesla Model S can carry five adults and two children in quiet comfort – and you can charge it from any outlet, without ever stopping for gas. The mass-produced electric vehicle offers...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience