Maintenance: Timing belt and Engine Gasket

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Hi guys, it's time for me to change the timing belt already, i remember i heard/read from you guys regarding the price for the timing belt..mind to share with me again??

BTW, i also face some problem of oil leak on upper part of the engine(is it call the cam cover??) i think is caused by the harden rubber......any idea how much on that??

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Thread about Timing belt and Engine Gasket

Kelvin, you MIA straight after the gathering, only surface when you have problem. Haha, must punish, my next teh tarik on you.

both issue are common maintenance issue apply for all cars (maybe not Rotaty? :biggrin)
wwshyue said:
BTW, i also face some problem of oil leak on upper part of the engine(is it call the cam cover??) i think is caused by the harden rubber......any idea how much on that??
It's Engine Gasket for valve cover, Part No.17 (in red) in the pic, call spare part department and query for the price via part No/ part name. If I'm not mistaken, shall be RM60 or below including labour. Change it 2 years ago, can't recall.

wwshyue said:
Hi guys, it's time for me to change the timing belt already, i remember i heard/read from you guys regarding the price for the timing belt..mind to share with me again??
Timing belt is the one in blue colour box, price wise, don't know. Again, Spare part department. Some where saying that it's compatible with Mitsushibo timing belt
My advice, dont' take the risk.

PS: Don't get the wrong part, different engine CC have different part Number.

PS: Please POST update for your service/price/experience here to share with others.

Last edited:

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Kelvin, you are lucky I enquired from Hyundai Glenmarie that day while servicing my car. Mine is also due for change...the next 10,000km.

Our service manual mandates that we change the timing-belt every 60,000km or 48 months. However, if in doubt, you can ask the mechanics @ Glenmarie to check (FOC).
Dun try to save on timing belt. If snapped, BIG TROUBLE...engine kena overhaul.

Both repairs (Oil Gasket & Timing Belt Replacement) done @ the same time will cost you RM1,000 (after discounts on parts & labours).

I would rather send my car to authorized Hyundai Service Centers for major jobs like this. My 2 cents worth of comment....

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Usually when changing the timing belt you changing the other belt and bearing, because everything is out and its your chance to save on workmanship and time.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
How do we know that the timing belt is worned and it's time to change it?
Any signs or symptoms?

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Daniel,
No signs. So better check your mileage. If in doubt, go ask a mechanic to open up the side cover to check it. The 2 belts outside are not the timing belt.

Ace,
Did you mean the fan-belt? I changed mine earlier.

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Thanks guys......now i am going 2 check with Hyundai and also the workshop which i used 2 go......

BS,
hei...don't say so....just being bz recently....afraid i cannot join u all 2 PD.....
.......no problem on the teh tarik...actually if u guys are free or happen to be in Klang....jus let me know.....we can hav TT

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
dartango,
yeap..for me, once open up i change what ever belt and bearing in there to make sure every works perfectly. Its a pain sitting there whole day watching the mechanic doing, i don't want to do that again.

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
yo folks... another small piece of advice...if you are planning for major repairs like this..better go on a weekday (easier to get the spare parts, they collect the parts twice a day @ 10am & 2pm from the Central Warehouse @ Glenmarie) ... Hyundai Warehouse is closed on Saturday...sigh...:confused_smile:

Changing timing belt will take at least half a day, depending what time you go & get it diagnosed (pls refer to the spare parts collection time above...)

If in doubt, call the service center before going...

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
ic.....if i just wanna buy from them (glenmarie) but i will ask the workshop that i familiar with to install for me...then how??

where should i go pick up & pay for the goods ??
i read in the old forum....there is a guy Mr. Lee in subang selling Original hyundai parts at cheaper price is it?? can i get the things from him??

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
why don't you guys all list down all the available spare parts shop and service center that is reliable so that it will benefit to all the members?

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Yeah, make another thread for it so it would be easy for everyone when we are in need of it................:_:

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Kelvin, I was told if you buy direct @ the Glenmarie Warehouse only 10% discount on parts. If you buy @ the service centers, you will get 15% discount on the parts.

You must know what parts to buy to pass to your mechanic. Otherwise, you may end up making 2 trips to get the parts.

Never had experienced with spare parts shops. Maybe the rest can share their experience on the spare parts shop & also good Coupe mechanics.
Those who can repair Korean cars (eg Elantra) will be good enough to repair Hyundai Coupe RD1 & RD2 (same engine)

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
hi guys...here is the feed back for the parts price......

Glenmarie quote me RM303(Discounted and round up) for timing belt & bearing & oil seals while the gasket they quote me RM38 (Discounted and round up). they say labour is usually around RM 200++

My prefer workshop quote me timing belt & bearing & oil seals RM380 while gasket is RM78 (All parts original from Korea) labour charges around RM100

Mr. Lee from Han Jin (Subang) quote me timing belt & bearing & oil seals RM280 while gasket RM29 and oil filter RM10 (All parts original from Korea)

So my decision probably will be buying from Mr. Lee then ask my prefer workshop to Install for me

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The recently concluded Asian Auto-Auto Industry Awards 2011 has seen the Nissan Teana 2.5 V6 drive home with the ‘Best Local Assembly Executive Sedan’ award after surprising the judges with its quality offerings at a reasonable price.

“We are pleased to receive this award as it is recognition by our fellow Malaysians that Nissan is their most trusted automobile brand,” said Datuk Ang Bon Beng, Executive...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience