Wise advise appreciated

Black Mamba

Dear Good Sifus of the Honda world,

A small intro. I have been a Honda owner for some time now. Currently drive an EG with B16a engine....stock standard. Except for the computer box which has modified chip to release revs and top speeds to infinity and beyond. However I feel that there is something not right with the chip as it governs the air fuel ratio and it seems like there is wastage or rich combustion if u may say so.
Question is ...Is there anyway I can diagose the performance say via a dyno test or others to rectify the issue?

Thanks a lot if you have any feedback at all.

Rgds.....Black Mamba

u can either find someone who has a wideband sensor to check the A/F, or go to shop with dyno machine to find out about the A/F...but if u go to a shop with dyno, be prepared for the suggestions that are going to be made to rectify the issue ler....in other words, bring your credit card....:X-:

A chipped ECU is a compromise from a piggyback and standalone.

Obviously, the chip makers would not know of your setup, and will probably run fuel and timing maps that aren't very aggressive to avoid knock when daily driving it.

Not to say that chipped are bad, they have their place, and in some cases, they work best with upgrade parts that are from the same manufacturer, although some may find performance increase from parts of other manufacturers.

Now, to your concern about whether the chip is making your engine run rich, if you have driven your car for quite a while (the 'while' is very dependent on how rich the fuelling is), the first signs of a car running too rich is the plugs.. you will find your plugs fouling after quite a while, if this is the case. Of course, this is the poor man's unscientific way of looking at the problem. It's an old school way I use to determine if the car is running rich or lean.

Not sure about others, but I get very good mileage out of my plugs, since I'm positively not running rich.. usually I change them out at 30K, but even then they're very much usable that I can give to friends/plonk it in other family's car that don't see high mileage.

The other way is using a wideband 02 sensor. This measures the air fuel ratio of your car.. to understand the numbers, you need to know the 'stoichtometric' value of the fuel you are using. Petrol is usually 15-11
depending on setup, rpm and load. Numbers 15 and above is considered 'lean', and lower number considered 'rich', but like some people, I hold the idea that rich or lean is highly dependent on RPM/load/ignition timing. an AFR of 14 may be lean for an engine running at 9K rpm point, while an AFR of 14 is good for the same engine running at 3K rpm point.

This wideband sensors can usually be found at dynos since they use them as a tuning aid. Of course, some enthusiast have them as well, since you need them for a road tune, so you can trim fuel/retard ignition at part throttle to get better fuel economy.

Well.. good luck.. remember those numbers.. that's what AFR means in terms of rich or lean fuelling, and you'll learn more once you look at a wideband unit.

Last edited:
Gentlemen...thx for your feedback...i reckon my plugs are doing fine......i will run down to a tuing house to dyno the car. See whats screwed up in the whole package.

Cheers