will the exhaust silencer harm the engine or turbo?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
im putting 3" straight flow piping with 3"exhaust, i felt so noisy so decide to fix up my exhaust silencer...the silencer inlet comes around 2.2inch only at the back end there..so will it be harmful towards my engine or either turbo or not ?? pls advise....thank you

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
im putting 3" straight flow piping with 3"exhaust, i felt so noisy so decide to fix up my exhaust silencer...the silencer inlet comes around 2.2inch only at the back end there..so will it be harmful towards my engine or either turbo or not due to air restriction ?? pls advise....thank you

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
think ur engine will suffocate due to the restricted flow..

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Turbo love straight flow...
my car also straight flow...let it loud man !! :thefinger:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
get a bigger (oval shud do the trick, FGK may have the size u need) and longer silencer / mid bullet

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
hmm i doesnt want it loud, as flowing restriction so i forced to put straight all the while so i hv no choice so i hooked up with multiple brands of exhaust still cant reduce the sound till i got tanabe medalion with silencer at least its better....then now worry bout the flow..!! I heard bout fgk, but mostly are quite big..i mean the size of the entire thing not the inlet...its not quite suitable for my hatchback..my perfect choice still goes to apexi mandrel type with straight flow exhaust or mr2 turbo catback with custom 3inch is just nice...!!! still havent found any yet >.<

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hey fren,

Do not put silencer for turbo car. As this will make the pressure back to your engine & turbo. It will harm your engine & turbo as well. I experience it on my previous turbo car.

Don't put the silencer. Your exhaust is Tanabe Super Medalion? If yes, dont put silencer as the sound damn great...As I am using it as well...Lolz...:driver:

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
im not sure if its a super medalion ..the picture will be like as below ...since it came with silencer so i thought is alrite to put that..seems like silencer is not recommendable..i think i shud just have it pulled off ... thanks for the info ..

Attachments

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
im already a straight flow , just with the silencer nia..
im running with silencer too...
all i can say there is some back pressure problem with silencer..so whenever using silencer dont push ur car too hard...
weekdays my car run with silencer..good fuel saving.weekend without silencer...can see a lot of different fuel and power...:driver:

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
im not sure if its a super medalion ..the picture will be like as below ...since it came with silencer so i thought is alrite to put that..seems like silencer is not recommendable..i think i shud just have it pulled off ... thanks for the info ..
Yes. This is the one. I am using it too...Trust me. With silencer, you only able to drive normally & you can't press your car to high RPM for NA car & can't have boost for turbo car as both will harm the engine.

What's your purpose on putting the silencer? If you want to save from roadblocks, I suggest you can install the Apexi or Arospeed exhaust bypass valve where this is totally silence & u can use it when passing by roadblocks.

My suggestion is just let it be as with silencer, d sound sucks bro...:thefinger:

And what if someone let you hear blow-off sound bside u while u on silencer & u worried to boost your car? Hehe....:driver:

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Does the silencer harm N/A cars as well?
Generally it will hard NA car as well...Don't shoot me ah. Any sifu? Correct me if I am wrong :driver:

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
My opinion : N/A put silencer for keep more back pressure F/I no need silencer :wavey:

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Yaya... Silencer useless for F/I ... But..the sound will more nicer...
IF without silencer .... the sound like pecah...

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
all i want is quiet ... and can boost without worry is da best...well if neccesary to do!! im nt boosting it often ...!!

sil80: howss the bypass valve looks like ?? anywhere can get it?

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
all i want is quiet ... and can boost without worry is da best...well if neccesary to do!! im nt boosting it often ...!!

sil80: howss the bypass valve looks like ?? anywhere can get it?
if thats wat u want just bring down ur boost to stock la..no need to take out silencer anymore...

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
i just boosting 1bar at current only, if i manage to find quieter exhaust i think i'd just switch...just want peace n quiet with a lil performance ride now... medalion sound are not bad afterall just that too noisy if driven daily....

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
how bout auto tranny car that needs back pressure :P ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello ZTHians...
Here I got something to ask any sifu or someone here who know how to refill the aircond gas into my car...
For your information...I already got all the equipments needed like a tank of R12 gas,and the hose with meter that the aircond shop used to to..
Here just the matter on how to ensure or any steps to follow or guideline to make sure that the gas is filled.???..
Anyone here who can explain or you got any information elsewhere from the net or any books that i can refer...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience