When do we need Alignment?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear sifus and forumers..

Just curios here. What type of mods/maintenance that when we do it, we should go for alignment after that? Last time, I changed my rear abs. The mech advised to do alignment. HEre, I want to ask does the following things require us to do alignment:

1. Service brakes (remove, service and put back on)
2. Drum to disc brakes coversion

Thank you...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
no.1 no need..

no.2 sure need...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thanks Pomen. But mayI ask why? Both requires to remove the brakes. How come 1 no need?

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
take note of the points where alignment is done, any parts that is removed that could posibly affect the position of the alignment points when reinstalling the parts such as steering and camber thats when u need to do alignment...

service brake definitely dun need... unless u take off the knuckle together...

disc brake conversion not so sure... if it it involves removal of the knuckle definitely yes... but if ure converting on a torsion beam set up, i dun tink its necessary...

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Thanks Pomen. But mayI ask why? Both requires to remove the brakes. How come 1 no need?
when servicing brakes, most probably u would remove the pads only worse case u remove everything down to leaving only the backplate behind which wun mess up ure alignment.

when converting brakes, depending on what parts are removed, if parts which holds up the alignment such as the knuckle is removed and reinstalled back, the align would 'lari'..

Wan Syazwan

From Facebook
Jan 1, 2012
www.facebook.com
Steering feel steer to the right. Went back to the same shop for alignment (Aso Tire Jalan Gombak),

They said it is because of the new tire, tire still in round shape thats why its steer a bit.

So they just tighten the steering, Now my steering feel very heavy and still steer to the right. It this common?

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Steering feel steer to the right. Went back to the same shop for alignment (Aso Tire Jalan Gombak),

They said it is because of the new tire, tire still in round shape thats why its steer a bit.

So they just tighten the steering, Now my steering feel very heavy and still steer to the right. It this common?
never felt that before every time changed my tires, guess is more like a camber issue...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
do they check your camber reading also???and set it to be properly balanced camber reading left and right?

sometimes on car have been in accident the caster also could be a bit off than factory spec.. (*this need a bit irregular camber setting to compensate)

2method to compensate steering heavy to one side (only after proper alignment couldn't solve the problem) :

*higher tyre pressure on one side
*different camber setting on each side

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hybrid. I say the word with a bit of malevolence to it. I’ll be honest here and admit I’ve never been a fan of the concept. In my opinion, forced induction is the definitive way forward. Imagine the irony when Porsche called me up and unexpectedly offered me the keys to a Panamera S Hybrid for a day. I accepted the offer of course, but I certainly had my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience