What's in the OCT after 4 months?

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Many doubted the functionality of an OCT and today i am going to show you the proof that an OCT does work.

NOthing to do, so took out the OCT and.. hey! It's heavy.. Shake it a little .. liquid inside apparently!

It works..

So i drained the oil out.. it captured about 100 ml of the PCV blow-by in extremely dark color: drain-out from the OCT

Accidentally spilled it and you can see how dirty it is: it's dark and dirty!

So, i washed the OCT using petrol. Just pour some petrol through the hose and do a "milk shake"... this is what i got: yucks!

Discovered some leakage from one of the hole that was supposed to be sealed. Remove the seal and redo a silicone oil seal.

Then reinstalled it back and started the engine... seems like the idling now became irradic (from the vacuum gauge reading)..

Must be something wrong in the previous setting (remember the leakage?) that the ECU has adapted to.

So, no worries, reset the ECU and make sure everything is working fine, re-adapt the throttle position and everything went so smooth.

So, OCT works. Just clean it once a while..

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
yeap, OCTs do work. I poured the contents of my OCT out in front my 'non-believer' mechanic, then he now believes.... hehehe...

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
doink,

OCT = Oil Catch Tank
Prices ranging from RM90-RM300 depending on brands and quality.

rattan

1,500 RPM
Oct 30, 2005
www.itswat.com.my
Can u explain where to where is a OCT installed... saw there is one input and one output.... tq

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
aikz? some said the OCT is installed where the valve rocker cover connects the hose to the air-filter box?? im confused now :(

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
same thing, because the air still flows into the intake manifold from the airfilter box.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
gavan said:
aikz? some said the OCT is installed where the valve rocker cover connects the hose to the air-filter box?? im confused now :(
Tried that for 4 months and nothing was catched inside the can. What you need to do it to disconnect the hose to the intake hose, seal the nipple, and install a small breater on the hose. Like this: engine breather

DLegend said:
same thing, because the air still flows into the intake manifold from the airfilter box.
Not same. One has vacuum, one doesn't.

from the intake hose, air is being sucked into the cam cover.
from the cam cover, air is being sucked into the intake manifold. However, during hard runs (full throttle), the pressure inside the cam cover can be so high that the vacuum of the manifold can't neutralize that. This will result in having oil vapour kicking back to the intake hose. That's why some car has an oilly intake hose, filter element (not K&N), and throttle body.

Disconnecting the breather hose and selling the nipple will prevent these. No need OCT.

------------

To know how much oil vapour your engine can generate... open the oil cap after the engine is being shut down. See the vapour fuming out..

Last edited:

rattan

1,500 RPM
Oct 30, 2005
www.itswat.com.my
I wonder, if this OCT is so called effective why does the car manufacture's does not include one even as an optonal specs ? :eek:

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
i agree with rattan,
if this OCT is so effective, why car manufacturers neither include it in original spec nor optional spec?
If car manufacturer's could install in HID's, vibrating seats and other gadgets... why not install this effective gadget which only cost from Rm90 - Rm300...

if car owners knew to service their vehicle, clean their air filters and drain their black oil....
why would they not know to maintain this OCT ?

*dont shoot me pls, correct me if i'm wrong... hehe...

hey_guy

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006
Ok... i found this useful thread when i happen to do some research on OCT and breather :)

I have some questions maybe kinda stupid to some :p
- Can i use a breather without an OCT and vice versa? Whats the effect if doing so?
- Air flows thru breather to the cam cover which the air i believe is hotter than air from the intake hose. So isn't not so good since the air is hotter goes into the cam cover?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Cheers~

c-ground

Known Member
Apr 5, 2005
Seri Kembangan
cground.fotopic.net
hey_guy said:
- Can i use a breather without an OCT and vice versa? Whats the effect if doing so?
the breather filter is to filter the air going into the cam cover after the breather hose is disconnected from the intake ram pipe. The reason to diconnect the hose is to prevent the back flow of oil vapour into the ram pipe upon hard revving, or in the case that the PCV valve is clogged. By having a breather filter, a big portion of the oil vapour will be trapped inside the breather filter if there's any back flow.

Yes you can have either one. Best to have both.

hey_guy said:
- Air flows thru breather to the cam cover which the air i believe is hotter than air from the intake hose. So isn't not so good since the air is hotter goes into the cam cover?
har? The air going into the cam cover is definitely not as hot as the air inside the cam cover.

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
AXXeLL said:
i agree with rattan,
if this OCT is so effective, why car manufacturers neither include it in original spec nor optional spec?
If car manufacturer's could install in HID's, vibrating seats and other gadgets... why not install this effective gadget which only cost from Rm90 - Rm300...

if car owners knew to service their vehicle, clean their air filters and drain their black oil....
why would they not know to maintain this OCT ?

*dont shoot me pls, correct me if i'm wrong... hehe...
by doing OIL CATCH TANK you will not upset your AFR.......OIL CATCH TANK also been recognized as part of aftermarket parts.For racer in track or drag....OIL CATCH TANK is the must......as not oil will spill out on track......as per manufactured their re-route back the vapour and fumes to re-burn anything thats not un-burn during the all process of combustion.....and thats is Engine MAnufacturer Regulation that been using world wide.....and for long run...u got oily black air filter(and you start asked..where there hell this oily came?) and damn dirty cloged intake manifold.

read the article on the net...so many of it....PCV@CRANKCASE BREATHER@BREATHER...

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/239.cfm
http://www.carcare.org/Engine/crankcase_vent.shtml

Last edited:

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
another why without used OIL CATCH TANK....but wat the hack...nowdays you even can DIY the simple CATCH TANK on the earth w/o buying so expensive....

Covers:

4-Cylinder Engine (NA)
4-Cylinder Turbo Engine

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system ventilates the air in the cylinder head to equalize the pressure built up in the engine crankcase. The fumes are vented into the intake system to be burned up along with the air and fuel mixture. Although this improves the car's emissions, this results in three problems.
1) The crankcase gases enter the engine along with the air and fuel, cutting down on the amount of fresh, clean air the cylinders receive. Although there's a very small amount, it's always better for fresh, clean air to enter the cylinders rather than engine gases.
2) The engine gases are hot, and will increase the temperature of the air in the intake manifold. Remember, for every 10? increase in intake air temperature, you'll lose about 1% of the engine's horsepower.
3) Worst of all, the fumes contain vaporized oil which coats your intake manifold. When the piston rings begin to wear, blow-by increases and will cause a back up, resulting in the fumes exiting out the fresh air breather tube... where air is normally suppose to enter. The oil in the blow-by fumes will be blown through the intake and coat everything from the breather tube inlet to the throttle body with an oily film. If you have a turbo, this will include the intercooler and turbo. As the oily film builds up, a substantial decrease in performance will occur, including engine problems such as low idling and stalling.

Many Probes with over 100,000 miles on them suffer from excessive blow-by. After cleaning out my GT's intake system of a coating of oil and soot, I looked for a solution to this problem, short of replacing the piston rings. Although a higher flowing PCV valve is usually recommended at this point, it's not a cure. The solution turned out to be reverting the engine to a PCV system from older cars. Older cars took in fresh air through breather tube filters. Removing the breather tube intake from the engine's intake system and placing a filter on the end instead meant that the oily gases would no longer be able enter into the engine's intake system. Repeating the procedure for the PCV valve end of the system would keep the gases from mixing with the fresh air entering the engine. Although a pretty good idea, I'm pretty sure this is breaking emission codes. It's very easy and costs about $10

This is the original set up, with black hoses

The stock PCV valve and outlet hose

The new PCV valve, hose, and filter.

The stock breather hose connecting to the intake boot.

The new breather tube and filter.

Results

It took a couple of days for the oil that built up since the intake cleaning to disappear. Since then, the idle has been much smoother. One month after installation, I check the filters. The inner part of the PCV filter had yellowed from the gases. The breather tube filter turned light tan from the oil film. It was nice to know that this crap was no longer entering my engine. I'll probably change the filters every two months (about $3).

After two months, the PCV side started browning from the oil. The breather side was pretty saturated with oil, but not enough to clog or to drip. I changed the original hoses with black ones. Looks better now. I replaced both filters, giving both sides the large, higher flowing filter type

Last edited:

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
sample of DIY OCT

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

since there are so many replica or fake fuel regulator selling at RM1xx on the market..anyone have any experience on them?

pls give your feedback on these regulator if u have used them....

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience