What to check when buying a 2nd hand car?

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
I'm not really good in such stuff but can anyone guide me on what things to check when inspecting a 2nd hand car? Leaks? Rust? I afraid i might miss out some undetected faulty after i bought the car.. Thanks

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
I'm not really good in such stuff but can anyone guide me on what things to check when inspecting a 2nd hand car? Leaks? Rust? I afraid i might miss out some undetected faulty after i bought the car.. Thanks
bro,
this is a subjective Q, lets make it a concise guide to buying a used car.

1) what is yr budget
2) how much is yr downpayment
3) how much is yr comfortable amount of monthly installments
4) you prefer a manual or auto transmission
5) the use of the car for business, leisure, daily use to work, for sales & marketing or commercial use.

After considering the above concerns, you may start searching, motor trader mag, ZtoH, newspaper etc....specs, year make, color, at or mt, price, locations, no plate etc. Then when you already streamlined into maybe 2 or 3 cars..then the answer to yr Q comes in..

things u need to check when buying a used car:-

1) outlook of the car, stock condition or modified - usually we go for stock condition
2) original paint or new paint - if new paint, find out why, if not same color with the original color, probe further on why color changed
3) interior - tidy, any torn here & there, roof lining and floor carpet clean or got stains
4) mileage - average usage of a car is about 15000 to 25000km per year.
5) tires - uneven thread worn means absorbers are bad and alignment is out.
6) all electronic gadgets are functioning, hazard, wiper,power window, radio, alarm, central locking,lights,switches,air cond and signals.
7) engine - see if there is any leaking or stains
8) body - hard to teach u how to see if the car has accident b4, but easiest way is to see the paint, lights, clips, stains, bracket and screws...get a mudguard guy if u doubt bout it
9) test drive - bring it out for at least 3-5km drive...accelerate & decelerate to se if there is any funny sound from the undercarriage or engine compartment. any jerks or not. ensure its a smooth drive...do question if u felt doubtful.
10) finally b4 u really nego about the price....and place a booking, see the reg card 1st...ensure the model, color and engine number are same.
11) Last......nego price....

then u decide to buy or not...of coz do all the steps above if u really keen and don waste the used car dealer's time too coz they are doing business too. happy shopping....

juz my 2cents and of coz these are generally explained..in detail, u may pm me if u wanted to know detailed in depth checking of cars...hope these could help..

by the way, what car u r looking for....who knows some brothers here could help.
cheerz.....

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
The first thing you should check is whether the previous owner dropped any loose change under the seats and carpets.

If the previous owner is female, then look out for discarded sanitary pads.

Happy Motoring and may your car always be loose and your women fast......or was that the other way round...... :biggrin:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
great idea......hope they don leave their "garments" in it....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
EvolutionZ, ZTH's resident car purchasing expert :adore:
pai seh la bro....i juz share share my knowledge only...coz dealing with cars, so its my job sickness...LOL

joev8796

Known Member
Oct 23, 2008
bout da engine part, another thing 2 check besides leakin is inside of da engine. open 2 lubricant cap n take a look inside, if u can c reali dirty tat's mean da previous owner neva service da car on time or regulary. thn look at da suspension mountin, it cost u a lot, avoid or negotiate a cheaper price if u c they r breakin/ crackin.

thn open da trunk n shake da car, if they r some funny sound thn cut down da price again coz suspension system like suspension arms, lower arms, absorbers, arm bushings n allignment arms r spoilt. another way 2 test is try askin some frens sit in da car durin da test drive, ask them 2 observe da car as wel thn ask 4 their oppinion on tat car. whn ppl get out of da car, try 2 listen da sound da car suspension react.

bout test drive, try al da road. i mean flat road, uphill n downhill 2 test da car's stability n performance. thn try some traffic jam roads 2 check if da car n engine r shakin.if da engine bay is 2 clean ask n doubt if da drivers has transplanted da engine onot.

check some places or corners of cars which every owner, car wash personnels n drivers wil miss 2 clean or not able 2 clean. if these places r clean tat's show tat da car has washed thoroughly, but y? most of da reasons r da car was wet or dimped durin a flood. dun buy dis cars coz edi soaked b4, performance sure out edi.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
this is more in depth into the car checking...u may pull out the engine oil dipstick to see if the oil still fresh or already like tar......that shows the owner change the oil on schedule or not.

you may also look at the joints and edge at the front hood and rear booth on anti rust mark...this shows the car still on stock condtion, no accident yet coz if accident, usually the w/shop will replace and spray the part, there are many more...maybe after test driving, u may post in here to seek some sifu here for futher advices.....

blackend

Known Member
Aug 5, 2008
Johore,
last but not least,dont forget to check any unpaid summons and speed trap as well..

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
yes..its important...do it with myeg.com.my
coz u'll face problem transferring name later...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
look at the reg card and make sure the year make of the car is the same as what the dealers said....1 year diff make big $$$ diff....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
coz many ppl get conned lately....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

This is my first post in zth forum. Would like to know your feedback\comments on

various air filters in the market i.e K&N, Apexi Dual Funnel, Blitz and etc. Currently

i'm using HKS super flow... thinking switching to a different brand.

Would also appreciate is someone could share their exp on a 6inch filter.. in terms

of HP and maintainance.

Thank you in advance. :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience