what can i do for automatic gearbox ???

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
hehe...nice nice...so bro..if i change my auto gsr to manual...what gearbox would be the best for me?beside using the gsr one...how about evo?FC would be high?because some says that at 5th gear..the evo ratio(short) would bring more than 3.5k rpm on 110km..+ some say when auto change to manual...would got many problem..sometimes after step the clutch the car would idel...bla bla bla....is it true? so say jest leave the auto to auto to limit the future problem....is it true?
well u have a few manual options dude, each option has its own pros n cons:

1) Putra / Satria GTi / or even japanese 4g93 NA 2 wheel Gearbox which are all F5M22 gearbox, i'm using the Japanese halfcut 93 NA gearbox at the moment, no problem at all except that the clutch n flywheel n pressure plate are all 8.5 inch, u can fit a 9 inch but u need to remachine the gearbox housing for some clearance. Drive shaft future replacement is not a problem at all, good for general daily use and good for cruising, pick up is OK but still 'boley tahan' (coz turbo mah) and u can gain very good top speed.

2) Mivec close ratio gearbox, if u use this gearbox, u'll have a superb pickup due to the close and much shorter gear ratios, which means the time it takes from 2k rpm to 6k rpm is shorter, some even come with LSD but i don't have any experience and the good or bad bout the LSD (maybe can check with JinKL for some special LSD upgrade?) however the for highway cruising you'll suffer as ur 110km/h will hit a higher RPM even on the fifth gear....

3) 4 wheel GSR gearbox, it's locked at the rear diff for our Msian converted protons, so u get power transfer to the front wheels only, drive shaft is different, pick up is not bad as well, however i've always hear complaints from actual users that the pickup will be a bit slower in respond due to the locked differential, not too sure bout this....

4) VR4 / Evo Gearbox, no experience on this however will need some custom mount or additional bracket to fit with ur GSR flywheel.....

5) Others??

I'm sure and pretty confident u'll be happy after changing to manual, at least for your GSR, i do reckon auto gearbox is not bad too but will you custom mod the internals to the extent of beating a manual? it's all bout money here, everything can be done with the right amount of money, probably a rebuild of ur auto tranny to withstand high horsepower output will cost u the money u can spend on 3 or even 4 manual gearbox and maybe including customizing its internal gear ratios? and plus not much choice here for stock auto trannies swap, there may be auto trannies that are specifically designed for true performance but i doubt it's available as an option for GSR, period. I'm not saying auto is bad, it's good for daily drive but to extract the best power to ground, MANUAL IS CHEAPER to achieving it..... sorry for some pre-judgement i believe if ur really loaded, u wouldn't have asked this question in this forum?

u mentioned for manual after stepping the clutch the idling is bad?? there's something wrong with the throttle body servo motor, get a toyota FICD and it will fix all the GSR out there, me too using Toyota FICD for air cond idling only, but my main idling is controlled by my standalone map....

actually my GSR fren, the GSR halfcut that i bought is also an AUTO from mitsubishi libero !! but i use back my ol'trustworthy MANUAL GEARBOX Japanese spec NA 4G93 F5M222-RRKE (should be from some old 1.8 galant), i dun have any problems at all until recently after my turbo upgrade with huge increase of torque and horsepower, i've scored 260-270 on engine HP and about 350 Nm Torque until my clutch started slipping recently due to its small 8.5 inch flywheel, clutch n pressure plate, the best is of coz 9 inch, but how much of modifications have u done to your GSR?? if there isn't much then dun worry, even if u mod more than 300 HP one day and ur clutch started slipping, so wat? u still have plenty of options to cure the problem eg. racing clutch, or twin plate clutch.......and the good thing bout manual is, GENERALLY (mark my word but every general rule may have an exception) it's always more reliable than auto tranny in terms of failure probabilities for a monster Horsepower output (sooner or later-LAR)

Last edited:

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
forgot to add, u mentioned bout fuel saving, then opt for the first option like wat i've posted above, it has good cruising RPM !! n dun get any close ratio gearbox, u'll get a good fuel economy, before i mod my GSR, i'm getting 300 km / RM 50 at this year's (or was it last year? forgot lar) new fuel price, but now after mod, only 200km / RM 50 hehe....

Last edited:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
That's because MY drivers don't have experience with auto tranny unlike those in US or AU where they have been modding for decades.

I chose to stick with auto for many reasons. And since very few mechs in MY can give solid answer, I've decided to do some R&D myself. Technically, u can mod an auto to behave like a manual simply for reprogramming the stock TCM (transmission control module) and by beefing up the stock seals, clutches and rings. It is expensive unfortunately.

Auto have many potentials which are untapped otherwise why would Toyota even bothered introducing a 8-speed auto in their latest Lexus? Or why more n more cars are getting beefier auto boxes?

Mitsubishi auto tranny aren't exactly strong as stock (in fact, I broke 2 units of W4A33 in 1 year). Instead of discarding them for RM 100 a piece, I rebuild them and today, almost a year later, it still reliable and strong. Can say money is well spent. Plus, it is cheap to source a spare from chop shops. I recently bought another spare for RM 550 inclusive of 4WD drivetrain for future 4WD conversion (hoping to do the legal way).

Now, it is engine mods time - larger turbo, intercooler pipes, larger intercooler, piggyback ECU and an engine overhaul. Hoping to get the car out in a couple of days for tuning n dyno.

Don't look down on AT yet... one must learn to appreciate all trannies. Different people have different requirements.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
On top of that, a turbo-charged auto car is always fun to drive... just jab the pedal n watch others trying to catch up. Otherwise, those with Caldinas n Airtreks would never mod their cars.
yea...my fren caldina n myself airtrek also auto....semi auto......just press acceleration pedal only.......response is good though....:_:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
yea...my fren caldina n myself airtrek also auto....semi auto......just press acceleration pedal only.......response is good though....:_:
even my old junk kancil with l5T Auto also the same.. responce is better thn n/a auto cars...

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
i thought the topic here is GSR? maybe can get caldina or airtrek's autobox to fit in Mr. Guest's GSR, .... jus joking dude... but apart from that y not suggest to mr. guest since he's trying to make a decision, what other options he has for Auto box Swap with the factor of cost element ....

ACBC,

great info there, people like u r very rare in msia doing research and everything like the US guys, that's a great effort!! we should all be open to new technologies, that's partly the reason why our local automotive industry doesn't go far, coz less people are properly educated when it comes to vehicle technology, i guess one day when i have auto box for my other car i'll be looking up to you....

since we're just lifetime students of car mod, there's one answer we should look for, but i know the answer to that will cost us loads of money to find out, if only we can get as much info as possible on each auto and manual tranny on GSR: using the same vehicle same engine, first get an engine dynamometer reading, then on wheel dynamometer reading to compare, do it on both manual then auto, we'll know how much is the transmission loss.....to what i understand, auto tranny has more revolving parts and far more complicated, so the potential of transmission loss should be higher, but i've no data to prove this on a dyno test....... maybe if u have experience, can share with us....

p/s: i'm a neutral person, i'm not looking down on auto, i'm just trying to compare the facts....

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
i was also thinking to swap back to auto, cos blardy sienz putting in gears for my everyday driving.

aaron, u mentioned bout TCM reprom. You have any idea what they do? Cos mine is also with TCM but did fully utilise it yet cos am running on my standard manual GB. Talk in msn laa :D