Watermark removal. Optimum vs Meguiars vs Osren

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I think I bought it for RM34. Yeah....you're right though. Only us people here are crazy enough to spend such money on such a small bottle of product.

Al-cheapo style...hrrmm...I've been meaning to try something but just wasn't been able to come to it. Superfine 3M sanding sponge (RM4) with a normal abrasive polish....want to be a guinea pig?
Oh hell no! I've seen Fishbonez do that with the 3M sponge and quite frankly I'm just scared shitless knowing that I'd have a thinner windscreen even though it's probably only 0.0001mm thinner. My tint mahal la! hehe

Different acids - As for vinegar, I expect that it wouldn't work as effective due to it being a weak organic acid instead of mineral acid. It might work, but will take a lot more effort and time. Just an educated guess.
The white clear stuff? This is actually in my list of things to try. "All natural" products vs a proper product. Kinda like my Darlie vs Autosol vs headlamp cleaner test I did last time with Fishbonez.

Any other type of 'all natural' you can recommend for comparison?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Oh hell no! I've seen Fishbonez do that with the 3M sponge and quite frankly I'm just scared shitless knowing that I'd have a thinner windscreen even though it's probably only 0.0001mm thinner. My tint mahal la! hehe
The tint won't be affected right? It's on the inside of the glass.

Any other type of 'all natural' you can recommend for comparison?
I love that idea! Now the idea of it being all natural will make me want to try even tough it is weak acid... It comforts environmentalist like me and probably will sell to health freaks :biggrin:.

Don't have any other type of product that I can think for comparing except different types of vinegar. Rice vinegar, malt vinegar, apple cider vinegar and the cheapo artificial vinegar... Maybe can try some home made enzyme too but that's going to cost a bomb!!!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
cornstarch...??? You know....those that 'detailers' of the olden days used for polishing before the 'real' polish were invented....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Haha... You ask me to test a few acids but say acids dangerous...
I am no chemical guy so don't know which acids are dangerous and which are not except for acetic/citric acid :hmmmm: Need people like you to test it out :rofl:

I love that idea! Now the idea of it being all natural will make me want to try even tough it is weak acid... It comforts environmentalist like me and probably will sell to health freaks :biggrin:.

Don't have any other type of product that I can think for comparing except different types of vinegar. Rice vinegar, malt vinegar, apple cider vinegar and the cheapo artificial vinegar... Maybe can try some home made enzyme too but that's going to cost a bomb!!!
Instead of a cloth soaked with vinegar and elbow grease, try facial cotton soaked in vinegar and slap it on the glass. It should stay there until perhaps it dries out. Even if vinegar is a weak acid but slowly and gently with time it may work...

Home made enzyme is not costly at all. Wife's doing it in the kitchen. Brown sugar, cut of fruits/veges...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
veloc how can u use acid!! if u know wad i mean =p

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Nice writeup bro!

My experience on this:

Using normal paint polishes, as per your result, doesn't fully remove.

Use Acid based cleaners (StainX), fast and effective, but risky. If the glass has been treated by using those powder type watermark remover + 3M sanding sponge (Rainaway style), and you use Stain X after that to remove new watermarks, it will haze the glass slightly because the 3M sanding sponge leaves very very fine scratches and the acid somehow will haze the glass. So the danger is not knowing whether or not the glass has been 'scoured' before. I have been using this combo also but it will leave some scratches in the glass when inspected with high lumens LED light.

Now my fav combo is Sonax/Osren Felt Pad and an abrasive glass polish (Sonax Profiline Glass Polish / CarPro Ceriglass / Osren Glass Polish Cream) polished with DA polisher. Removes all watermarks, without putting any new scratches in. You should try this if you have the chance. Downside is it takes more time compared to acid.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Ken, when I used Osren watermark powder + 3M sanding sponge, I used ONR as clay lube instead of just water, never cut down the 3M sanding pad then it already is to minimize pressure applied (more surface area), work with minimal palm pressure on pad. Slowly work the pad and spraying clay lube to the back of the pad without lifting it to reduce abrasiveness. So far don't see any scratches yet even with LED light. You saw those fine scratches on windscreen (laminated glass) or side windows? Never knew acid would do that. Great info.

Also, is there any visible difference on the glass surface by polishing with felt + cerium oxide? Want to try.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Nice writeup bro!

My experience on this:

Using normal paint polishes, as per your result, doesn't fully remove.

Use Acid based cleaners (StainX), fast and effective, but risky. If the glass has been treated by using those powder type watermark remover + 3M sanding sponge (Rainaway style), and you use Stain X after that to remove new watermarks, it will haze the glass slightly because the 3M sanding sponge leaves very very fine scratches and the acid somehow will haze the glass. So the danger is not knowing whether or not the glass has been 'scoured' before. I have been using this combo also but it will leave some scratches in the glass when inspected with high lumens LED light.

Now my fav combo is Sonax/Osren Felt Pad and an abrasive glass polish (Sonax Profiline Glass Polish / CarPro Ceriglass / Osren Glass Polish Cream) polished with DA polisher. Removes all watermarks, without putting any new scratches in. You should try this if you have the chance. Downside is it takes more time compared to acid.
Will try this in the future... Thanks bro!!! You advise is consistent as what Jack said. DA is better in polishing glass...