Type/brand of coolant for Myvi

deroll

What sort of coolant should be used for the Perodua Myvi? The manual simply states to use a high quality ethylene glyvol coolant.

Would normal green dye silicate coolant be compatible?

What sort of coolant should be used for the Perodua Myvi? The manual simply states to use a high quality ethylene glyvol coolant.

Would normal green dye silicate coolant be compatible?

No. Stick to Ethylene Glycol.

The normal ethylene glycol coolant is green in colour and contains silicates. What brand of coolant do you recommend that I should pick up for the Myvi from a spare parts shop in Malaysia?

The normal ethylene glycol coolant is green in colour and contains silicates. What brand of coolant do you recommend that I should pick up for the Myvi from a spare parts shop in Malaysia?

These days it'll be hard pressed to find anything except ethylene glycol coolants. I didn't know they contained silicates? Anyway, as long as it's ethylene glycol, it's safe for your aluminum radiator. Not good on old copper ones though. But I haven't seen a copper radiator for a looooong time.

Nowadays the green dye coolant does not seems to last. Within 6 months turn clear already. Have been using Toyota Long life coolant for sometime already. But Red is color....

My factory coolant has been 2 years already....red colour. Dont know what brand they use but it should be similar to toyota long life coolant. Just stick with that lu

Nowadays the green dye coolant does not seems to last. Within 6 months turn clear already. Have been using Toyota Long life coolant for sometime already. But Red is color....

I knew it... the color of the coolant was pink-greenish which showed there was different types of coolants mixing. The only clue that the Perodua Myvi was supposed to use the newer OAT/HOAT coolants was the recommendation in the owner's manual to use long-life coolant since I didn't what colour the coolant was when it was new.

I knew it... the color of the coolant was pink-greenish which showed there was different types of coolants mixing. The only clue that the Perodua Myvi was supposed to use the newer OAT/HOAT coolants was the recommendation in the owner's manual to use long-life coolant since I didn't what colour the coolant was when it was new.

Then buy back same from Perodua stockist to be safe....

Then buy back same from Perodua stockist to be safe....

Yes I should have done that but I already got some Toyota red which is about the same price per litre.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

There was a thread here on DIY coolant flush on a perodua myvi. But the TS made a big mistake when he said that the coolant:water ratio was 1:10 in post #30.
That's pure. It has to be mixed 1 part to 10 with water. You can't use that only la. Not good!

It should be around 50:50 otherwise there will be not be enough antirust protection. The manual says 30:70 which is reasonable since Malaysian weather is hot. 2 1L bottles in a total coolant capacity of 5.7L will give a 35:65 ratio which is close enough for me.

Most are 50:50 but have to see what's the instruction at the back.
Premix for a peace of mind. And u probably need to do flushing too since u said it showed evidence of mixing.

i only pour 1 litre coolant then the rest is distilled water.
Lazy to see ratio thing. :vroam:

My 2.0L car I use 2 bottles, never really check whether is 50:50 also....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Most are 50:50 but have to see what's the instruction at the back.
Premix for a peace of mind. And u probably need to do flushing too since u said it showed evidence of mixing.

If changing coolant type/brand is better to flush anyway......:driver:

Toyota LLC aka Long Life Coolant.
DSC_0929.JPG

yes I agree with Toyota coolant, uses it for all my cars except the beemer.

I said in my previous post that I got Toyota reds. The back label says to dilute it 50/50 strength.

I drained the radiator and removed the thermostat housing(and checked the thermostat in hot water) to flush until the water ran clear. I didn't measure how much coolant was drained out. I only managed to put back 2.5L of coolant+water not counting the reserve tank of 0.6L which is less than the stated capacity of 5.7L. After running the engine until the thermostat opened, the reserve level didn't drop. I think because I did my work on a slope nose up, some water from the garden hose flush was still trapped inside. I'll just have to redo it again but at least I found no evidence of rust and I got a red bottle in.

My mechanic say toyota red coolant is good, simply because it was "strong chemical" concoction. It would not suit older car as it would "eat" piping and internals and eventually become thinner, and possibly leaking. He claims many such leaking cases would start off through showing powdery corrosion at area of rubber hoses/radiator/engine hose coupling. Since then, I stopped using Toyota Coolant.

BTW, a few sparepart shop dealer I know in Seri Kembangan told me that Toyota red coolant is the most pirated coolant in Malaysia. Please make sure the coolant is ori.

Older cars have copper/lead solder which are not suited for newer coolants. Even Toyota reds aren't that new anymore and the newer OAT coolants are not compatible with Toyota LLC (except for Toyota's own ELLC). I did check the products I bought carefully and they all looked legit.

Could anyone tell me if they managed to fill back 5L of coolant+water mixture because it sure looks like an error in the manual. I searched for Sirion's coolant capacity and got 3.3L which seems alot more reasonable.

My mechanic say toyota red coolant is good, simply because it was "strong chemical" concoction. It would not suit older car as it would "eat" piping and internals and eventually become thinner, and possibly leaking. He claims many such leaking cases would start off through showing powdery corrosion at area of rubber hoses/radiator/engine hose coupling. Since then, I stopped using Toyota Coolant.

BTW, a few sparepart shop dealer I know in Seri Kembangan told me that Toyota red coolant is the most pirated coolant in Malaysia. Please make sure the coolant is ori.

strong chemical = hence the heavy sediment (or dust) inside the coolant even fresh from bottle

and i'm having hard time with those toyota LLC...radiator almost sumbat, and so many sedimen crust/rust inside piping all around the coolant system....

while it just barely getting into 2 years of usage.....

so now i just get the green one...seems suits my car quite ok.... 4g92p :listen:

My VR is coming 22 years old already and have been using Toyota LLC for many years already. Only recently change the fiber top to metal ones, the radiator shop poured in the green coolant so use first.....

I flush the coolant again because I wanted to change the hoses (4 of them incl the bypass hoses) which I missed doing the first time. And I tried to measure the amount of coolant and found that there was ~2.2-2.7L (some splashed out when I took out the bottom hose so I couldn't be accurate) not including the reserve tank of 0.6L giving a total 2.8-3.3L which doesn't fit the manual which says 5.7L. The Daihatsu sirion specs on the net says 4.1L total.

Assuming 3.3L total, I would dump in 1.1L coolant in the radiator then fill it up with water and add some coolant (for some colour) in the reserve tank with water which makes it easier to see the level.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom