Twin Weber 34ICT carbs problem..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

krazz77

Known Member
Hi guys,

My 1600 dual port Superbeetle is fitted with a set of twin weber 34ICT carbs. Recently i have been having a series of problems with the carbs so musch so that I am contemplating on whether i should switch back to the old PICT single carbs! Problems include
- irregular fuel (car shakes/jerks when accelerator is pressed)
- inconsistent idling (car can be at a low of 900 rpm to a high of 1800 rpm)
- extremely high temperature when travelling only a short distance.

Have any of you guys had any experience with the twin webers? Should i keep them and send for a total rebuild of the carbs? I understand the kits and jets are available in the US (expensive!) Sigh .... Please advice. Thanks.

Regards,
Danny

irregular fuel?
= your jets are of wrong sizes, pls tell me the weber is fm which engine b4 u put in.
= digital fuel pump is needed to cater to the xtra volume of petrol goin into the intake manifold, your oem is unable to give enuf petrol goin in!

i will dug up a few numbers for you to call, he deals with webers. his location in old klang road, u dont have to order fm U.S (that is he he has the jets)

hmmm .. problem is i''m in JB!! ... hehhehh ... If the jets can be obtained, maybe i'll get my mechanic to fit in to try.

Well, the carbs are brought in 2nd hand from US by a fren studying there. His fren has used it on a 1600cc dual port buggy ..! .. He said it was working flawlessly before selling to me.

danny, u must understand dat diff engine uses diff jets, altou it is flawless, the jets are not ngam eventou it has 200 cc less or vice versa.

fstrader is right, jetting is very important. Looks like jetting your prob here.

but my personal experience with these Weber ICT carbs have not been good. they are a pain the arse to jet and the quality is not that good. power is nothing to shout about compared to the stock SOLEX.

34ICTs were made originally for the VW flat four i think.

My personal preference owuld be Dellortos.

Yah man .. . having endless problems since fitting in. Need to get my mechanic to tune every now and then. You guys think this can sell? Dunno if anyone is willing to try to fit better jets and rebuild. I just want to recuperate the cost. It cost me about RM700.
Really considering the option of fitting back the old solex carbs....
Tried to search the dollertos but they are no longer in production, next one i might go for may be kadron carbs. Heard it's quite problem free. Any comment? Hehehe..

krazz77 said:
Yah man .. . having endless problems since fitting in. Need to get my mechanic to tune every now and then. You guys think this can sell? Dunno if anyone is willing to try to fit better jets and rebuild. I just want to recuperate the cost. It cost me about RM700.
Really considering the option of fitting back the old solex carbs....
Tried to search the dollertos but they are no longer in production, next one i might go for may be kadron carbs. Heard it's quite problem free. Any comment? Hehehe..

Hello Krazz,,,just a few question here.

Before you thinking of changing the jets,,,i would like to know your current setup now. When you fit that carbs, have you port your heads ? what type of cams do you use ?

Pls be inform that these type of carbs didn't go well with a standard engine, you must do the aboved to compensate the flow for that carbs,,

cheers.

cool down. they can be done right. you dont have to sell them. Take your time to sort out the jets. once done, you can forget about touching those carbs anymore. just need some time.

head poting is not really necessary as the ICTs dont really flow that well. they are actually Kadron replacement by webers. only thing quality could be better.

I would say dont sell them at rm700. why u may ask, it is because i feel they can easily fetch rm1500. new BRAZILIAN MADE 34PICTS which are crap in quality are almost fetching RM1000. i would personally hold on to them.

also twin carbs beat single solex in the looks department anytime anyday.

forget about Kadrons. They have crappy manifolds, poor quality lousy linkage. yea, they are slightly easier to set up with compared to ICTs, but still need some work on the jetting department.

i personally have couple of sets of Dellortos, from 36 to 48s, all twins and set for VW engines, also have a lot of jets, wanted to sell them at one time, but too sayang to let them go. cost me too much money for what i can get back for them.

you dont have to send the carbs to be retuned everytime. first find out exactly what jest you have now. then try to fit smaller jets, not better jets. i am not really familiar with ICTs, i used to have a lot of tuning book on these carbs, let me find what i stilll have. gimme some time. i will try my best to make your ICTs run.

dot think too much about your rm700, what u paid is little for the carbs. Concentrat on what u can do to make them run better.

if u ever need parts or need to order after trying to get locally, try

www.dellorto.co.uk

they should have everything u need. I bought all my Dellortos from them. i got their last set of 48 DRLAs way back in 2001.

was rereading your post again
your problems were

- irregular fuel (car shakes/jerks when accelerator is pressed)
- inconsistent idling (car can be at a low of 900 rpm to a high of 1800 rpm)
- extremely high temperature when travelling only a short distance.

i think your jetting is confirmed damn wrong. it is running lean. fug the books, i will just let you know what is from my head.

first thing first, make sure your engine is in good mechanical shape no leaky valves, vacuum leaks, and a good sound ignition system (no fouled plugs) or you are simply wasting your time messing with the carbs.

first remove the carbs and write down what jets u have. i am not familiar with ICTs but you should be runing a 55-60 IDLE JET. should be somewhere in between.

next is your main jet. As a starting point, choose a main jet size about 4.1 - 4.3 X Venturi Size (mm). i think your venturi sizeis 28mm. best to start rich and go leaner. drive the car. Now, you need to DRIVE the car.

sputtering, pulling is an indication of being too LEAN. if it happens at 2000rpms or lewer, you need to richen up your idle jet go bigger in small numbers. 2500-4000 RPMs and you need to richen up your main jet, aagiain in small numbers.

next is air jet. i cant remember much on this one. i think should be 200 or something like that.

then u have to adjust the emulsion tubesa and accelrator pumps.

wah .. geeze . that's some very technical stuff. First off, I have shall find out about the jets i have in the carbs. To access them, basically, I just have to remove the air cleaners right, peer inside and that's where the jets are right?

Now.. the problem is .. where do get the correct jets to replace them with? Are there anyone selling the jets here?

There is another strange problem.. after driving for a while, when shutting off the engine, the engine will vibrate several times violently until it turn off. Some people tell me fuel's too rich for the carbs .. Headache ah . .

wow.. aircooled.. you really know your stuff very well. must have some great experiences on your bug. What's your ride? Have a look at my super .. hhehhe

http://photos.yahoo.com/krazz77

you mentioned you live in Johor. you sending it to Chip Meng in JB? he should know what to tell you.

i am not really familair with ICTs, but i dont think the jest are from the top. some idle jets are at the side.

http://www.racecar.co.uk/weber/

some pics of the Weber. They cost 349 pounds BRAND NEW.

you really need a competent mechanic to help you out with this. or as fstrader mentioned, there is a guy in KL i think in Old Klang road who has all these jets. I have never met this person before though. You may need to seek his help to set up the carbs. dont bother tuning them anymore as they will never work.

i dont think anybody sells the jets here.

yea i used to be realy carzy about the flat four engine few years back. i started playing with Bugs when i was 9 and bought 1 when i was 16. i actually invested rather heavily in the parts, especialy engine stuff, what i paid can actually buy a new car cash. now sold off everything including my car as i could not get along with my mechanic and also bought a house instead. no more VWs, used to have a 1968 Bug.

your car looks nice, nice meters, what it needs is more HP for the 1303 GERMAN LOOK. you did quite bit of work already.

for 1303 a lot of things can play, you can fit lowered springs and absorbers, looks real nice. you can also play with big brakes and stufff like that. there are already people running big Nissan Skyline brakes but still use back the original VW bolt PCDs. all round dics baby.

yah .. bro aircooled. I'm going for the german look option. Next up would be a full dechrome. (currently the silver linings on the windows are still there). also will be changing to a single -piece windows on the doors when available.

When funds are really available, going for cheaper Porsche Boxster 16" rims (Not, so nice looking, but less attention mah .. scared hehhe ) By the way, those meters you see on the car are from Porsche 914.

My plan is to go to Chip Meng and seek his advice on what i should do with my carbs. Hopefully he could solve all my woes on the carbs.

Bro aircooled,

Went to Chip Meng on saturday. He checked through the carbs and true enough it's a jetting problem. He does not have the stocks available and mentioned it's a tedious process to get "everything right". As my car is gonna be a daily driver, his advice was for me to take down the webers and fit back the original 34PICTs. Anyway, compression on the 3rd cylinder is off, he's gonna do it back and hopefully the car's gonna be smooth.. hehheh.

Well, so if there's any takers, 34ICT Twin webers, with all parts necessary to install going for RM750 (Cost 700, 50 extra to cover little of my install and uninstalling) , PM me. But do remember the jetting has to be done before installing. Should be out of the car be end next week.

Cheers,
Danny

Last edited:
cool, glad you made a decision. yea, sorting them up will definately take some time, but once done, you rarely have to even touch the carbs. the initial money to buy the jets especially if u have to order them overseas is a little high and not to mention all the troulble you have to go through.yes, twin carbs are damn reliable once set up properly. you will be surprised the FC improves.

daily driver......not really a good idea if you want to keep the car in good shape, but i understand, sometimes no choice. i went through the same process.

good luck mate.

on the low compression side issue, it would be good for you to freshen up the engine assuming the bottom end is still in good shape.

wah...pening...pening...krazz...u kene jumper laberg ler...hehe...i pon dah hantar single dell i kat him..DRLA40...jetting prob...idle cun but bila accelerate..semput...i pon dah custom diafram...yg lama dah koyak...jadi jugak..then frust tak dapat nak feel that carb trus hantar kat dia
from wat i heard...that single dellorto ...power same like twin 48...fuh...dia punya pancut kaw-kaw..

Hi VWMANIA, trying to play Single Dellortos as well. Cool, but

• Where did you get the single Dellorto from? Is it from Alfa? If yes, the jettings are all different, even the venture tubes. It is also advisable to seal off the choke mechanism.
  • What manifold you using?
  • What spec is your engine that you are using the Dellorto on?
  • Jetting a SINGLE DELL is much more difficult that TWINS. The jetting requirements are totally different. It also depends on whether you are getting the LEFT SIDE or RIGHT SIDE CARB. Honestly I would try to get twin carbs rather than the single DELL. I understand it is difficult in Malaysia. Power for single is so so only.
  • Where did you have the diaphragm made and how much it cost you? I would advise you to order a new diaphragm as they are not really expensive and shipping for these items are quite cheap as they are small and light. Should be able to escape tax as well. It would be advisable to order the diaphragm spring at the same time as well

hi air cooled....hehe

@ ive got it from my sifus at kedah...for rm 500 including tapak..my sifus got it at
indonesia..
@ manifold custom made...tak lawa langsung..
@ im using 1600 enjin
@ laberg cakap dia boley buat..
@ diaphhargm made kat ipoh..coz dulu ive solve my fren 356 engine that using twin double carb..i nak order takder wang ler bro..hehe..

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom