Turbo to N/A

ziranath

Known Member
Nov 25, 2004
bangsar,kl
Visit site
Is there any possibility to change turbo to N/A?If i made this mod will it be any defect to the engine?Have been asking to few mechanics about this n they said the engine might kong..is it true?

alvinpck

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
KL
Visit site
turbo charged engines r designed to have a lower compression as compare to NA engines

if let say u wana NAed a vr4, u will be getting a very very underpowered car,
might even lose to a wira 1.5 <--- example ony ah...

NA to turbos or vice versa might needs lotta parts n work, da price of doin dis as equal as getting a NA/turbo halfcuts.

:)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
thus, better get a halfcut... but u'll have to deal with JPJ lo for the transplant...
i saw the RS project from hypertune, they say their bolt on turbo cost rm30k... is it true??... why so expensive ar??

ambayah

1,000 RPM
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
SkYwAlKeR said:
thus, better get a halfcut... but u'll have to deal with JPJ lo for the transplant...
i saw the RS project from hypertune, they say their bolt on turbo cost rm30k... is it true??... why so expensive ar??
All new item i think.

ziranath

Known Member
Nov 25, 2004
bangsar,kl
Visit site
is there any different for the block n head.i mean inside the engine...from wat i know the major different is that turbo use low compression piston n NA use high compression piston.can i just swap the piston n add metal gasket?

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
if im not mistaken, cam profile also diff.
valve closing and opening also diff.

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
if it is the from the same series engine, yes, u can swap the pistons easily, and no, metal gasket is not that necessary for NA engine. Normally turbo spec engine has better block, crankshaft, and con-rod. so with all those strong foundations, u can rest assure that your bottom end will be bullet proof, for NA.

Turbo to NA conversion is lots more easier than NA to turbo. :wink:

ziranath

Known Member
Nov 25, 2004
bangsar,kl
Visit site
i wanna swap between 1.8 NA with 1.8 turbo can or not?my fren wanna sell his ride but at the moment have problem with loan..so i tell him if we can swap his turbo to mine NA n sell the car as NA.could it be done?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
why not just straightforward swap engines...

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
perhaps your mech will have an idea on how much it will cost. you will need to change the pistons to high compression set, NA fuel injectors, ecu, exhaust system, and so on... :wink:

lonewolf

1,000 RPM
Jun 3, 2004
1298 said:
if it is the from the same series engine, yes, u can swap the pistons easily, and no, metal gasket is not that necessary for NA engine. Normally turbo spec engine has better block, crankshaft, and con-rod. so with all those strong foundations, u can rest assure that your bottom end will be bullet proof, for NA.

Turbo to NA conversion is lots more easier than NA to turbo. :wink:
NA-->TURBO = can kaboom
TURBO --> NA = not so easy kaboom..but might move slower

but both oso need alot of $$$$$

correct ar?

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
Any mod to the engine can be harmful. Yup, NA to turbo is more risky than turbo to NA due to the different piston compression, injectors, and etc. I won't say NA is slower (example modded VTEC) but sure you will miss the strong torque ...torque is addicted. :biggrin:

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
Can't say it's not good to turbocharge a NA engine but why have to go through all those hassles if it's available in turbocharged version? :smile:

It will be wised to get the halfcut rather than turbocharge the NA version. You will save a lot of time going around searching or fabricate for parts, and it's cheaper.

ziranath

Known Member
Nov 25, 2004
bangsar,kl
Visit site
Actually wanna do this swap because my friend wanna sell his ride but then nobody interested with his GSR n because fuel price has increase.thats y i wan an opinion from all sifu here regarding the swap.but yesterday my fren told me that finally that car will met its new owner on monday (loan approved i think).so i'll stick with my NA.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

short story of my problem.

I bought a used hyundai starex about 3 months ago.

received the car on Tuesday and on saturday went for long trip and found the temperature rising. sent the car back to dealer and they sent to workshop. they changed the head gasket which took almost 3 months ( I just received the car back today.)

today refueled the car and see thick white smoke coming out. checked the radiator water while running and can see bubbles now. so workshop said need to return back to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience