To swap or to overhaul? That's the question.

SilentSeeker

Jun 20, 2010
Kuching
After 5 years of driving my ee100 for god knows how many mileage, I have reach the point at sound starts to be worrying.

Brief tech of my car:
Silvertop 4age20v auto convert manual 5spd
Custom 4-2-1 extractor
Geared exhaust
Apexi open pod air filter.
Brakes from Levin111

The rest stock.

After a major chassis overhaul which includes all the linkages arms sorbers. I am facing one problem. My engine lost compression. Am told the block might be scratched. From what I learn, overhaul will cost me about 3k. My friends all poison me to swap 3sgte. What do all sifu. Here think? What is the cost range to 3s swap? Any directions in the mounting of gb to use?

Unfortunate I'm in Kuching...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
What is your budget? From my survey, a 3S swap will not be cheap and so straight forward as most think. The mountings are one thing. And although it will be much more powerful, you will have to upgrade the brakes, chassis and suspension as well because it will be very nose heavy. Even if the brakes, chassis and suspension can cope, do note that it will gain in straight line but lose in bends. Due to the nose heavy nature, it will tend to understeer.

teamsleepnine

Mar 21, 2006
the swap engine might be in no better or worse a lot less better conditions.
if i were you,i overhauled em!!!.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, overhaul unless u want a much better upgrades. Heard of people transplanting 2zz-ge but wont be cheap. 3SGTE engine cheaper xD
Wont be a direct swap though :smile:

SilentSeeker

Jun 20, 2010
Kuching
Hmmm.. Thanks for all prompt replies. I have a budget of around 8k at most 9k if I squeeze it a lil. I'm in love with the 3sgte since a long time ago but economy don't allow me to get that MR2 I longed for. I heard most ppl say that its a engine "senget" but I find it to look like a castle. LOL that aside.

I've known about the weight issues and tackling the bends after the swap. Seen quite a few success as well as failures. Its those failures that made me think thrice if not twice. Chassis crack, overturned car etc Even still am at the crossroad whether to swap or not. Its not like the SVT is no good. Just... This is how I feel. Gosh.

2zz-ge is out of the question for me. Don't even like the looks. And suddenly it pop up, overhaul plus turbo kit?? What do you guys think?

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
All depends on your budget. Supra Fanatic is correct on the price, a 2zz-ge halfcut ranged from 6-9k depends on transmission and overall condition. And that is just buying the halfcut first step :biggrin: prepare another 2k+ safe for mounting engineered, transplant work and wiring. As for 3sge/gte more people opted because halfcut comes cheaper and parts availability issue, swapped in already on-wheel 200whp.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Hmmm.. Thanks for all prompt replies. I have a budget of around 8k at most 9k if I squeeze it a lil. I'm in love with the 3sgte since a long time ago but economy don't allow me to get that MR2 I longed for. I heard most ppl say that its a engine "senget" but I find it to look like a castle. LOL that aside.

I've known about the weight issues and tackling the bends after the swap. Seen quite a few success as well as failures. Its those failures that made me think thrice if not twice. Chassis crack, overturned car etc Even still am at the crossroad whether to swap or not. Its not like the SVT is no good. Just... This is how I feel. Gosh.

2zz-ge is out of the question for me. Don't even like the looks. And suddenly it pop up, overhaul plus turbo kit?? What do you guys think?
Yes i would suggest to prep up the whole body before swapping in the heavier heart.

P/S 3SGE (NA) halfcut below 5k can get.

Last edited:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
recently, i do hav this issue, which come into my mind,

current engine - 4age six speed ecu + 5 speed gb....plan to

1) 7age wif stroker kit + hi cam 272in, 272ex,......total will cost >15k
a) stroker kit ~8k,
b)7a block ~1k,
c)toda cam 272 + cam pulley + valve spring ~5.2k,
d)workmanship~2k,
e)standalone ecu + harness~4k,
f)big smal bearing~750
g)tuning~600

2) supercharger 101, remove oem charger, replace wif merc kompressor -chun power in sa said can rev till 8k rpm++,
a)halfcut charger101~5k or engine lantai ~3k
b)merc supercharge ~4k(new), 2nd ~2.5k,
c)standalone ecu + harness~4k,
d)workmanship ~2k,
e)tuning ~600

3) supercharger 101 + 7a block........= more torge

jpj likes.....
4age turbo, 4age + supercharger, 3sge or 3sgte on seg chasis, 2zzge on seg chasis,......

when u unlucky " ter-jumpa " them......they will smile to u........nnnnnnnnnn......this is what i hate the mostttttt.....:mad:

Last edited:

SilentSeeker

Jun 20, 2010
Kuching
I agree on the jpj part. Just gotta have certified green card photocopy as back up. It works in kch. Kl I dunno.

I think I will opt for overhaul. Save the money and aim for the dream car.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i have the same issue after my engine overheated a few month back... after surveying parts price...this is my conclusion...btw my spec is 4age 20v BT in ae 101 chassis...anyway these are my options which still pending and considering which one to do...

option 1
fully overhaul
overhaul kit (all the oil seals...belting...water pump...pistons and wear and tear part) = aprox 2.5k...
skim head...re honing the cylinder...engine re balancing = aprox 1k
if add on special/race parts
trd head gasket = 3xx
toms thermostat 71c = 4xx
engine main bearing and conrod bearing = aprox 8 - 1k

pros : no need to worry for the next 2-3 years if the whole process done right...
cons : quite expensive and long downtime...might take a few weeks depends on mech...

option 2...
replace/swap with the same engine
a low milage enjin kosong = aprox 1k - 1.2 k not inclusive labor...

pros : slightly cheaper than option 1...almost no downtime (pagi masuk bengkel petang sudah siap)
cons : engine need to be re endorse and from what i heard nowdays the procedure is a b***h...and since its still a used engine...might have some issue afterward...

option 3
get another engine and use as spare
similar to option 2...but i'm planning to use it as spare...let say if the head is warped...then change it with the spare one ... :P

pros : spare item already in hand...not need to run around for parts...meaning less downtime...and no need to re endorse
cons : might take up some space (which for me is a premium)...and most of the parts will be lying around...

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
sifu2, as a daily drive cum little naughty driving style, + pros n cons ?

bt 6speed wif internal ungraded...means hi cam,
bt 6speed, 7a block, hicam, wif stroker kit
bt add supercharge
superchargers ae92 map type
superchargers ae101 map type.....................Tq:idea:

kennix

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi,

I would recommend overhaul over swap. This is my experience:

1. 4age 20v BT, 6sp GB with 5sp ECU on AE101, 2.3 inch APEXi piping with RSR invidia exhaust, stock BT Manifold.
2. Oil leak everywhere from first transplant;
3. Decided to Overhaul after n years of driving lost compression BT;
4. After checking, only needed top overhaul (Lucky).
5. Overhauled with only TRD metal Gasket changed. The rest relying on the engine repair kit, bearings etc.
6. Plonk in open pod air-filter K&N.

Run in and went for dyno. This surprised me the most. The result is awesome (at least for me). I get:

1. 13x whp;
2. 15.x kgm Torque on wheels;
3. this is not so good being on stock ECU. Fuel is rich, hence petrol consumption slightly higher.

The above is on RON97 fuel. Have not dyno with RON95 fuel.

So, I highly recommend overhaul. My top overhaul plus parts 3-4 years back cost me less than 3k overall. Save the hassle of inspection etc...

Hope this helps.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
sifu2, as a daily drive cum little naughty driving style, + pros n cons ?

bt 6speed wif internal ungraded...means hi cam,
bt 6speed, 7a block, hicam, wif stroker kit
bt add supercharge
superchargers ae92 map type
superchargers ae101 map type.....................Tq:idea:
i guess that depends on what your aim is...

if want to chase hp...boosted is the way to go...you'll get more bang for your buck...

if NA setup you can pour bucket load of money but you'll not gain much out of it...

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
seems lots old seg + 20v user in d same dilemmas. mine clocked 265k km still rev happy but with ron95 and bad idling <400 rpm, she (the car) no sprinter anymore... :frown:

tumpang thread; if opt for overhaul, which workshop? either trial tuning or powerzone

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
i guess like what others have said, it depends on the purpose of the car. Not just what you plan to achieve, but whether this car is going to be/remain a project or your daily driver.

If the car has served you well as a daily and you're trying to rejuvenate its performance, i'd say go for the overhaul, provided the guy knows what he's doing.

I've done an overhaul to an old BMW V12 engine before, but within 24hrs of driving, catastrophe struck and I was left with a oil/water mixed mess all over my engine bay. It was found that the block had a very minor crack that the mechanics had missed. So it really depends on the engine you're swapping or overhauling and above-all, budget. Some engines are just not worth overhauling if there's a strict budget constrain.

But for a simpler 4-cylinder Toyota, it's typically safe. A good overhaul will keep the engine running nice for years to come.

swapping your current engine may be a joy if you're looking to upgrade your toy. Or a curse if it were your daily car.