Throttle Body Cleaning

air-cond? dont think so la...cause it jerks also if i dont use my aircond...

apex .. i did it at tmn bkt cheras.

err i dun think dirty TB will caused jerking.. maybe sumthings to do with ur firing or fueling and aiya too many possibilities la.

im not sure but when he did it alot of black smoke came out from the exhaust. could be carbon. im not sure

white_bird said:
i think should take out the throttle body first..(remove all sensor la) then clean it with petrol..(especially at the butterfly there)...then spray it with hi pressure air.. n fix back like how it was..(connect every sensor correctly).. that's it.. right??
this is wad my instructor taught me..

scoupe,
urs sound like some carbon cleaning stuffs right?? i heard tht i can clean carbon in combustion chamber also wor??? true ar??

that can of liquid is called Carburator cleaner..... sold for less than RM10 in jusco...

RM30 for just spray some of it in ur TB? bloody expensive...

hehe.... RM5 for me to do it? want? LOL!!!

Members,

Read my post and experience in the Mazda/Ford section on Throttle Body cleaning. I explained it in detail and read other posts by others. See my disclaimer also.

The one I'm using is Zip Decarbonizer. 2 bottle system ; one spray and the other liquid. Cost of cleaning = Rm85. Cost of fuel saving = heaps!!

Only remove air filter and use the spray can to spray into AFM. This will go thru the TB and the intake manifold and the valves. The liquid will require a tube connected to one of the many hoses at the intake manifold. The liquid bottle will look like the car is having a drip as when you're really sick lying in hospital bed with a drip bag. Kekeke.

Anyway check out my post as a lot has been said there.

WARNING!!
If you use carb cleaner on your throttle body, you can kiss goodbye to your TB cuz it says Carburator Cleaner. Not for injection cars with TB. Those who have used carb cleaner on your TB, be prepared to replace the whole TB as it's gonna kong one of these days.

Last edited:
some of you said that your car jerk before the cleaning...
can define the jerk here?

like when your car is idle, not moving, rpm low and the car engine vibrate a lot?
or in the middle of driving, you can feel something "pull" the engine even your right foot still on the pedal?

and how many zthian here have EFI engine and send for throttle cleaning?
will there be any difference cleaning throttle body for EFI and Carburetor?

I was told by 1 of the mech at Cheras that my EFI need a "machine" to do the throttle body cleaning, not just spray. And I think the charges is more than 100 bucks. Can anyone verified that?

heh need machine? so complicated? and expensive? for those big new cars issit?...

hmmm i've taken mine out for cleaning, its just simple manual brushing with petrol and drying it
sometimes cleaning TB will not work for all......if idling/jerking problem still persist, go have ur TPS, ISC and AFS checked
make sure all vacuum hoses, sensors and wiring harness are tightly locked in
other possible scenario of jerking is a faulty/leaky caps in ECU

BlackSamurai said:
I was told by 1 of the mech at Cheras that my EFI need a "machine" to do the throttle body cleaning, not just spray. And I think the charges is more than 100 bucks. Can anyone verified that?
It depends on what kind of EFI car is yours. I dun know you or your car well so I can't say much. Have to be careful that some mechanics use forceful tone of voice to tell their loyal customers about some wacked up cleaning process when it's just very simple by not removing anything. Sounds like the mechanic is trying to burn your wallet unless you car is super unique.

My 2 cents, try this Zip Decarbonizer thing. If all else fails, get a 2nd opinion.

means there's no such thing la as using machines to do throttle body cleaning?

blacksamuraio drives a hyundei coopeh.. is that super unique?

oooh hyundai coopeh uses mitsu engine rite :tee:

psyk,
haha, how do u know that i'm coopeh owner? hmm.. I though I'm low profile?

gsr,
So many ppl tell me that hyunda coopeh is using mitsu engine.
The "terbalik" engine design makes everyone think that it's re-badge of Mitsu evo Vi (and above) engine. I can tell you that, I'm not sure. From Hyundai, I know that my engine is 1.8/2.0 16v DOHC Hyundai Beta engine.

My coopeh using the Korean ECU, so initially i though it will be a good point to argue that Hyundai Coopeh engine is not Mitsu, however, later I found that even SGTI can 2 type of ECU, 1 is Siemen and the other 1 is MMC. So, this is not a strong point.

And my coopeh 1.8/2.0 engine comes with feature that by chaging the lower engine part (i forgot that name of that liao), i can upgrade my engine from 1.8 to 2.0 directly. Of course I'll still need to change 2.0 or bigger throttle body and other stuff if I want to maximise the output. So I thought it shall be different from mitsu. But then hor, this zthian jin told me that Honda vtec engine also can do that. All Honda vtec lower engine part is swappable to change the engine output. I'm not sure Mitsu engine can do that or not, can you guys swap 4G13 with 4G15 lower engine part to gain housepower?

The latest coopeh using Hyundai 2.7 Delta engine.

Even have friend tell me that Mivec is Mitsu and Hivec is from Hyundai, and Mivec and Hivec is the same, just that M stand for Mitsu and H stand for Hyundai.
But I can tell you that that is so wrong,
Mivec = Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing Electronic Control system
Hivec = Hyundai intelligent Vehicle electronic control

Mivec is a VVT (engine) technology but Hivec is a shiftronic (gearbox) technology.

If you look at Hyundai History,
http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/internet/45/histo02.htm

Hyundai have their 1st proprietary engine developed at 1992, namely Alpha
at 1994, Hyundai's 2nd proprietary engine is introduced, namely Beta

There are member from coopeh club change their engine to 4G93T, a GSR engine, he went through the painful experience, none of the engine mouting point is the same. The engine bay need to be heavily modified in order to fit in the 4G93T.

If Coopeh using Mitsu engine, then the engine mouting point shall be the same, right?

So, can someone here tell me, is hyundai using mitsu? :)

The EFI hyundai using is name as ECFI = Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection. So I dunno how much different compare with other EFI.

PS:
frankly, i dun care, I just love my car the way it be.

blacksamuraio: u low profile? silver kaler hyundei coopeh so famerz.. jes abit behind the other blackhowlingo.. black supra with cf bonet.. bof oso fatty.. kekekeke :D :D

Unique

psyk said:
means there's no such thing la as using machines to do throttle body cleaning?

blacksamuraio drives a hyundei coopeh.. is that super unique?
No. No car is unique unless you run on solar panels, hydrogen, or some other form of energy that is not gasoline.

No dismantling the TB. Some mechanic just trying to make $$$ out of their deep pocket customers. That's all. We can listen but we don't have to believe it. These days, the internet and other forums are so well informed. Anyway you get what I mean.

gsr said:
hmmm i've taken mine out for cleaning, its just simple manual brushing with petrol and drying it
sometimes cleaning TB will not work for all......if idling/jerking problem still persist, go have ur TPS, ISC and AFS checked
make sure all vacuum hoses, sensors and wiring harness are tightly locked in
other possible scenario of jerking is a faulty/leaky caps in ECU

i agree with u. :congrats:
i adjusted my tps , it solved my jerking problem. :biggrin:

if I find the butterfly too dirty and till inside of the intake, I'll take off the TB from the inlet, and use diesel and paintbrush to wash off the grime inside the TB, later spray with STP's Throttle Body / Carb cleaner to wash off the diesel and let dry. Later rub autosol on the butterfly and inner surface of the TB.
Put it back on inlet, connect all wiring and vacuum hoses, start car then rev by butterfly flap, spray the TB cleaner again to wash out intake manifold of grime.

No significant improvement, just scheduled DIY maintenance to prevent sensors kong faster.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom