The best practise for AT during traffic light stop?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Hi All,

May I know what's the best practise for Auto Transmission vehicle during traffic light stop or in the middle of the Jam?

1. Push from "D" to "N" during stop, and Push back from "N" to "D" when the vehicle prepare to move

2. Maintaine at "D" all the time.

3. Mainteine at "L" or "1" all the time.

Some told me that Method 1 will spoiled the gearbox if things done very frequent (due to the shifting). Any technical info mind sharing? Need your input here. Thanks.

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
method one... and the statement there... never heard before... but dun shift from N to D while the car is moving la...

cheers..

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
i leave it in D most of the time. otherwise put it in N...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
push to N before reaching traffic light (when slowing down)...
before move only push to D and prepare to move...

never use handbrake before... coz my mum put her baju (long sleeve) on top of the handbrake stick.... if the car is stop in a slope, push to P.... kekeke...

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
1. Push from "D" to "N" during stop, and Push back from "N" to "D" when the vehicle prepare to move

* the best way is.. wait the car fully STOP.. means brakes on.. fully hard press.. then engaged from D to N .. then .. like normal .. N to D

i hard 2 see that auto gearbox tends to "spoilt" .. accept for PERDANA.. hehe.. my car b4.. auto gearbox .. 14yrs old .. no problem oso?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
my mum's auto saga megavalve still works till today... but it is starting to show symtoms that it is going to damage la...

WHE1731

Mar 16, 2006
mrbear said:

* the best way is.. wait the car fully STOP.. means brakes on.. fully hard press.. then engaged from D to N .. then .. like normal .. N to D

i hard 2 see that auto gearbox tends to "spoilt" .. accept for PERDANA.. hehe.. my car b4.. auto gearbox .. 14yrs old .. no problem oso?
is it true PERDANA gearbox will be easily spoil?
i heard bout that so many times now...i'm plannning to buy perdana in the future...interested in it's muscular body

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Thanks for the info, especially Mr. Bear.

Any technical bit or online resource available?

gloss

1,500 RPM
May 23, 2005
SJ
for auto if you dun simply rev like a mad dog then will last longer lo... and its good always push to "N" when car idle, correct?

popcorn

Known Member
Jun 2, 2005
KL
last time i went to a workshop to add on rubber bush into my rear absorber coz change to 205/55/16 tyre. the pomen recommended me to put intercooler for auto gearbox like wira 1.6 oto and perdana v6. anyone heard about that

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
not intercooler la..it's oil cooler..i tot most auto car having their radiator with the gearbox oil cooler built in together? my kancil does....

earl-ku

Known Member
Mar 6, 2006
kukujiao.com
WHE1731 said:
i heard bout that so many times now...i'm plannning to buy perdana in the future...interested in it's muscular body
haha - u buying perdana in future also never heard bout this ar? its true, but most mitsubishi AT gearbox also cannot tahan wan ...

I normally push to N when i reach traffic light, then i just roll towards it, next time i will practice stoppping before pushing to N

but in traffic jam, u keep moving every 15 seconds or so, i think just applying brake is enough la, coz u shift too much from D - N i think will stress the gearbox also...

juniorkirk

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2006
from what i know... if for perdana v6... u need to use back the original proton transmission fluid... if u use different wan... then byebye... because my father took his new perdana to those workshop... they change the oild for them... then after that... the gear byebye... then go back to proton service center... they say need to use back the original transmission oil... same goes to waja if i not mistaken...

juniorkirk

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2006
craziechild said:
wut are the symtoms to determine tht a AT gearbox is breaking down?
1. Gear cant change smoothly...
(check the rpm... when it cant change smoothly... if will rev until quite high only change)
2. Choking when it change the gear (choke until passenger can feel it)
3. Car no power... :D

tat's my symptom before my gearbox broke down...
my gear broke down... when change into D... the car wont move... floor the pedal like on N...

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Heat is the real killer for A/T gearboxes. Installing an ATF cooler is a must whether u rev high or not. Our local weather is very hot when compared to Japan or other European countries.

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
automatic transmission .. theory..

1) gear tends to change automatically when its on D
2) gear will only change if the pedal been shift from 1 2 3 D or D 3 2 1

let say when the car stops.. (gears still engage rite?) means that u brake then gears still engaged on (D) level.. wont u think its kinda "a heavy load to the gears/engine"? coz D gears moving.. but at stop / traffic light the gears still move but when apply the brakes .. the gears are like "Stucking n waiting to move freely thru the rotation" .. its sumthing like high pressure thing is goin on.. but then u "block its way" .. sure its kinda in high pressure situation for the engine & gears itself..

just imagine u are using normal "siram bunga" water hose pipe.. to watering ur plants/flowers/wash ur car.. u should know how is ur water pressure going thru the hose rite? .. try to step on the hose or pinch it .. u will see how the water flow reacts..

* above is point of view from me.. please correct if im wrong.. tq

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
WHE1731 said:

yup yup correct.. no point of arguing coz its stated widely that PERDANA gearbox tends to spoilt.. easily.. heheh :mouth_closed:

juniorkirk

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2006
from what i know... perdana gearbox are very sensitive... and sux... LOLZ... anyway... is the best to fully stop ur car before changing N to D... or shifting any gear...

juniorkirk

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2006
actually ... perdana is the highest class among of all proton car... but for me.. perdana still sux for a 2.0 litre car... keke... out of topic for a while... mrbear... mind telling me which part of shah alam u from ? kekeke...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

im looking for vr4, evo 2 or 3,halfcut or engine lantai(but need ecu,wiring,gearbox),engine putra 1.8 if u have also can..GIVE ME BEST PRICE !!
Also looking for recaro fishnet seat, if anyone have all this thing give a msg!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience