Suspension Guide: The Beauty of Short Strokes

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This writeup is intended for those looking to improve car handling. None of the things mentioned below will touch on comfort improvement.

I have been playing around with a few suspension setups on my AE101, I have to tell u guys that I am absolutely in love with Short Strokes. My first Short Stroke experience was a full set of Cusco Coilovers (Adjustable Hi-Lo) with the spring rates of 6Kg Front and 4Kg Rear, those Cusco were magnificent! but the low side is that I have to sacrifice comfort a lot, with such limited travel in dampening highway travel can be a nightmare - and hitting potholes can be bone and teeth jarring - but what I get is an extremely stable ride even at high speed corners and ultra responsive steering geometry - I can live with that hahahaha. Our resident Corolla Sifoos and SSO/GRA champions GT20V (Cusco Coilovers), Tom's (TRD Short Strokes) and QIW (TEIN Coilovers) are using this setup.

Now, I am still in the middle of experimenting with TRD Short Strokes, thanks to Ah Choi of Goodspeed Kepong, CorollaGTtouring and Tom's (Alvin), I have been able to piece up a full TRD setup comprising of TRD Short Stroke Catridges (Front, Yellow) + TRD Stage 2, 8Kg Rallying Springs and TRD Short Stroke Rear with 4Kg TRD Springs - all for less than RM1000 combined (used of course). These are non adjustable type and they use the normal sized coil wound and spring plate. The immediate feel that I can reveal is that they are not as harsh as Coilovers primarily due to wide springs wound - but the handling effect is Superb nonetheless.

Now that my aim is to combine my rear Short Strokes with an even stiffer 6Kg TRD Rally Springs - I have already fitted the front, so my rear is a bit imbalanced (softer). With this setup I expect to be able to reduce understeering on high Gs cornering but sacrifice even more on comfort - hey! I found comfort in top-notch handling hahahahaha.

And in the process I have also discovered the secret to make Short Stroke absorber even shorter when I "revised" my front set to have it lowered by another 1 inch. The Bonus is, not just that I get lowrider look, the steering response is even more agile and Camber offset become much more Negative now.

If you are looking for Short Strokes, most Japanese Coilovers like TEIN, TRD, Cusco, JIC (this one is ultra stiff), HKS, GAB Japan, Kayaba and Tokico have them. Most of them are manufactured by Tokico anyway. Speaking of Tokico, if you come across some Blue coloured Short Stroked absorber - those are the legendary Tokico Illuminas - most sougt after by serious Track, Drift & AutoCross enthusiasts. And if that is not enuff, you can call TODA for set of TODA Fightex dampers - RM12000 only......

How to know if those dampers are short stroke? well very easy - on the outlook they are short of course - the tubes looked short the shaft short everything oso short. And if the absorbers are already fitted, when you jack up the car, the wheels would not drop much.

Again, please take note that Short Strokes are designed for performance and competitive use! do not expect them to give u that extra comfort if you are looking for one.

All in all, personally I would never revert back to Normal Stroke suspension, once you are there you would not want to go back hahahahaha

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
but then again you can always try proper tuned inverted monotube long stroke with trd anti roll bars ... give you the comfort without sacrfising much performance .. most of us here uncle laaa .. not everyone can turn their corolla's into track spec :p

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
yolk said:
but then again you can always try proper tuned inverted monotube long stroke with trd anti roll bars ... give you the comfort without sacrfising much performance .. most of us here uncle laaa .. not everyone can turn their corolla's into track spec :p
Hehe, sound like my car setting. Love that setting very much. :biggrin:

suma_

Known Member
Jun 3, 2005
DU
EFN said:
DISCLAIMER: This writeup is intended for those looking to improve car handling. None of the things mentioned below will touch on comfort improvement.

aiseh.... he already put this on la... :biggrin:

just about to ask about comfort setup, now cannot ask
hahahahaha.....

like master yolk said " most of us here uncle laaa .."
may be it's time for comfort ride, no race2, give way to other car and bring family for jalan2 carik makan .....

hahaha....

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
excuse me sifu-sifu.. malaysia where can find tokico suspension ar? really interested :D but not anytime soon lar.. well you know my condition lar.. poor poor

any tip for poor ppl to make their ke70 stiffer through corner? i wan join motorkhana wui... body roll like this cannot enter...

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
artnet said:
rolla, u just go titan la...
kch road surface is s*cks...
i'm back to sibu now... even worse....
hahaha somewhat true also. but was wondering how much tokico cost here and where to get one... if not use what suspension good? me no money

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
wait...EFN...
yr rear is 8kg, front 4kg...then means ur front ride is much more harder then JIC mehhh...

Last edited:

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Rollakid, well the good news is tokico oems are still around. But most of it is being manufactured by APM now. Even my stock stuff are from APM and that engraved words "licensed by tokico"

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
chinozie said:
wait...EFN...
yr rear is 8kg, front 4kg...then means ur front ride is much more harder then JIC mehhh...
Aloo fren, read carrefully laaa, front 8Kg maa, rear 4Kg. Now I am planning to have the rear ones changed to 6Kg hahahahaha.

You see, the difference between your JIC and my setup is that yours use small wound coil, and mine use normal wide wound - even tho the rates are the same but the feel would be different hahahaha

QiW

6,000 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
KL
Visit site
eehhhmmmm ... sifoo GT20v no longer using CUSCO laa ... ppl using "other" things liauu now .. CUSCO not enuff comfort for him ... hahaahahahahaa ...
btw ... my TEINs oso quite comfy what ... no flying around in the car oso ... ahahahahaa .. performs quite well but not as well as yours laa of coz ... :p

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
EFN said:
Aloo fren, read carrefully laaa, front 8Kg maa, rear 4Kg. Now I am planning to have the rear ones changed to 6Kg hahahahaha.

You see, the difference between your JIC and my setup is that yours use small wound coil, and mine use normal wide wound - even tho the rates are the same but the feel would be different hahahaha
huuu...cuz saw JIC magic homepage...JIC FLT-A1...front 7kg, rear 5kg...i was like huuu sure aaaa...i thought mine was like 10k front, 8kg rear...

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
just becoz the website says it's 7kg front and 5kg rear doesn't mean your's is the same spec .. japan fella also like us .. like to simply mod one .. he could have always change the springs to harder or softer ones also ...

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
QiW said:
eehhhmmmm ... sifoo GT20v no longer using CUSCO laa ... ppl using "other" things liauu now .. CUSCO not enuff comfort for him ... hahaahahahahaa ...
btw ... my TEINs oso quite comfy what ... no flying around in the car oso ... ahahahahaa .. performs quite well but not as well as yours laa of coz ... :p
Dis one is can understand la fren, our sifoo is expecting one extra member in his family maa...so the ride have to comply to comfy standard laa hahahaha

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
hahah...
ok next time will try to take a ride with EFN n see the diff...:D

my bad my bad...
aiyaaa...why aaa this week so many "my bad my bad" huuuu...tiuuu...kena mandi bunga laa ini macam...:)

Danny101

Known Member
Apr 30, 2005
bro i'm using f 14k, r 12k.......is the setting too hard for track driving?

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Danny101 said:
bro i'm using f 14k, r 12k.......is the setting too hard for track driving?
14 & 12 Kilos! WOW! I tot most full time track racers use 10/8K or 8/6K, yours must be ULTRA SUPER DUPER HARD! hahahahaha

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
EFN said:
14 & 12 Kilos! WOW! I tot most full time track racers use 10/8K or 8/6K, yours must be ULTRA SUPER DUPER HARD! hahahahaha
lol.. the stiffest setup i've seen in best motoring video also only 11/10kg with slicks on AE86. 14/12.. i can't imagine how.. hahah.

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
rollakid said:
lol.. the stiffest setup i've seen in best motoring video also only 11/10kg with slicks on AE86. 14/12.. i can't imagine how.. hahah.
like Welding mati to the chassis laaa....no play at all hahahahaha

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
danny wants to be the king of SIC.... & he is willing to sacrifice anything for that title....