Sound Quality Using Ipod on Alpine CDA-9831?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

nehemiah

Known Member
So i was wondering, i've got an Alpine CDA-9831 HU and i feel like getting an Ipod for it. I know i will need the adaptor(KCA-420i) for the ipod to use it.

My question is.. how is the sound quality when using the Ipod thru the HU? Is it lousy? Will it be really noticeable?

Second question, Will the HU itself be processing the sound separate from the Ipod..or will it basically be the Ipod making the sounds and just passing it along through the HU?

Any info is appreciated :regular_smile:

^BuMp

Hopin' someone here knows :)
Found this article on Crutchfield, but didnt have the answer im looking for. I'll put it here just-in-case someone else is interested.

CLICK FOR LINK

the HU will only be passing the sound thru from the ipod. anyway mp3 in general arent that good in SQ anyway, so i dont think theres much difference.

Zenn can u confirm that? Pls share some links for the tech info if u got any ;)

I know how mp3s are a lossy compression and arent recommended for SQ. But, i would expect the HU to be able to make better SQ when compared to the Ipod..
Anyway, i listen to new music/songs from mp3s frequently. Im just getting tired of burning cds and having burn-errors 60% of the time.

I was thinking with the Ipod, i can just use it sortof like a thumbdrive. Store music on it, plug into HU and play. Less hassle :) But ive heard how lousy the sound is when using the Ipod thru the HU by radio frequency (I-trip or somthing?) so i was afraid i was gonna get the same lousy sound.

you'll get the same sound quality as if from the ipod.

request your installer to try it out in your car. if the sound is
ok to you, pay the installer and keep the kca-420i.

alternatively, you can buy a frequency modulator and use a
thumbdrive to play your mp3 songs.

if you are still afraid to try, stick with cd.

haha if compare to the Fm modulator thingy definitely with adaptor + HU much better la....

the ipod will be a source and u can use the HU to scroll your songs/folders etc...

but u know la, the sound will only be as good as the source, in this case mp3, will only be as good as the process it went thru..

Last edited:
bro',
our fren mentioned thumbdrive ma...

Built, That's a good suggestion. But, the problem is.. the local installer's out of stock at the moment :( I've asked their sales person, and she said the sound will be from the HU. But, u know.. cant really believe with wat everything they say.

Im just trying to figure out the source for the sound processing. If its done on the Ipod, i'd rather not buy the adaptor. Cuz itd be causing loss from the original source again. And the HU will just basically be turned into a remote :(

Anyways, im not even going to consider using the frequency modulator. Cuz my GF ran hers in my car and boy was the quality horrible!

Thanks for the replies guys, if anyone else has any input please share em :)

nehemiah,
i have used it with a 9847 before. imo the sound
is from the ipod. the 420i and the hu only act as a
transporter. to be honest, the sound quality is not
bad. of course, don't la go and compare with cd
play by the hu. what amp and speakers are you
using now?

btw, do you own an ipod? have you explored it
by hooking it up to some home hifi system to see
its real potential? try it; you might be amaze of
the sound quality it produces.

if you often travel long distance, i say go for the
420i.

DOh! u called me out :) I dont actually own an Ipod..so am not really familiar with them. To be honest, i wasnt even interested owning any till now.

Im using MBQ Discus 6.5 comps fronts on Alpine MRV-F340 four channels bridged. No rear speakers. Two 12" Alpine Type-Rs sealed on Kx400.1 mono.

So i've been reading on the Internet about the Ipod adaptor. Is it true going from track to track takes a bit of time? I'd like to know wat ur experience is with it since u've used it before :)

nehemiah said:
...going from track to track takes a bit of time?...

no, it will just play like normal.

fyi... ipod by apple has one of the best (if not
the best) sound quality amongst it mp3 peers.
and if you down load direct from cd, the sound
quality is not much different from the original
cds or it could be that my hearing is not up to
mark... anyway, if you are the lazy type (like
me), go buy an ipod at lowyatdotcom.

cheers.

Last edited:
Let me share my thoughts.

I have an iPod video and it is currently connected to my head unit's (Sony CDX-GT350S) aux-input via my Belkin Auto-Kit (almost direct connection, not an FM modulator). The auto-kit has a built-in amp. Sound quality is good enough for me. Go for the iPod!

Once you get the hang of scrolling through songs on the Ipod, its pretty fast..

I cant give any comments on the SQ tho, just a thought..what about those USB HU's that support mass storage like the portable HDDs ?

In those scenarios it would be impossible for the HDD to play the music and feed it off to the HU, so the HU would have to be the one playing the music..

Would that make the SQ better compared to a HU with an Ipod?

In those scenarios it would be impossible for the HDD to play the music and feed it off to the HU, so the HU would have to be the one playing the music..
Actually, thats what i originally had in mind :regular_smile: Have my files stored off of a device and have it fed into the HU. I know the newer models prolly have these features. But i really like my current HU and i dont feel like changing to a newer one. So looking at my available options i decided to investigate the Ipod route :_: And whether or not i'd be able to use it as a substitute hard drive..

Oh alright, well maybe you could just buy the adapter first, then borrow an Ipod to test it out..

Save you buying the Ipod if the sound quality is not up to standard..hmm?

Top Bottom