• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

c00lric

500 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Hi Guys,

What's the cause of sludge residue in the water reservoir/tank? I found them sitting on the reservoir. Is this something bad? If is bad, what will happen to my engine? Do i need to rebuild the engine? Please help.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
same scenario if you have a fish tank. clean it once in a while.

Hi Guys,

What's the cause of sludge residue in the water reservoir/tank? I found them sitting on the reservoir. Is this something bad? If is bad, what will happen to my engine? Do i need to rebuild the engine? Please help.

type_one

Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
heehee..i've asked this before.. in my case, the water in the radiator was also "sludgiefied"... problem was a leaking head gasket...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I've been using the same radiator for the past 2 years with 120,000kms, and flushing out the radiator gives me the original blue/green colour of the coolant water.

If there's sludge, then it came from somewhere, like headgasket, or a cracked sleeve, or whatever that can cause the coolant to get the sludge from somewhere.

Like type one said, it's most likely the gasket.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
I've been using the same radiator for the past 2 years with 120,000kms, and flushing out the radiator gives me the original blue/green colour of the coolant water.

If there's sludge, then it came from somewhere, like headgasket, or a cracked sleeve, or whatever that can cause the coolant to get the sludge from somewhere.

Like type one said, it's most likely the gasket.
IF he dont flush often,... but flush only once in a few yrs,... and depending of what source of water is being used, or also what type of cheapo coolant,...

then MAY hv sludge

correct me if i'm wrong,...

gxfc,... happy mickey mouse year,...

c00lric

500 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Guys,

thanks 4 the comment.

The radiator has been flushed b4 and i have changed the whole radiator b4 flushing it plus I dont used el cheapo coolant.

The head gasket has been changed when i sent my engine 2 overhauled. The Gasket is ori honda. My mech told me that da head and da block both has been skimmed b4. Besides that i'm using b16b piston. Could that be da cause of leak from the head gasket?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Guys,

thanks 4 the comment.

The radiator has been flushed b4 and i have changed the whole radiator b4 flushing it plus I dont used el cheapo coolant.

The head gasket has been changed when i sent my engine 2 overhauled. The Gasket is ori honda. My mech told me that da head and da block both has been skimmed b4. Besides that i'm using b16b piston. Could that be da cause of leak from the head gasket?
High compression engines need slightly higher torque spec than stock, exactly how much is at the discretion of the mechanic. It's because higher comp usually puts more stress on the bolts due to the higher combustion pressures in a high comp engine. I'm not sure that this is the source of your problem though, but it could be. Another would be that your block and head surfaces where they meet each other isn't exactly flat, which is not surprising for heads that are skimmed before, or blocked that have been decked (or skimmed, as you would put it)

The sludge could also come from the remnants in the sleeves when the engine had a gasket leak previously, and would disappear after a few flushes.

c00lric

500 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Shiro San,

Thnx 4 that comment. I've just flushed the radiator and refill it with Motul Inugel coolant and add mineral water mix wif the coolant. And now i dont c any residue in the reservoir n radiator.

IF according 2 what you said in ur post, do i need to get another engine ? Is there any other way around it? Coz getting another engine is quite impossible.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
If you don't see residue, then there's no worry, isn't there?

If you keep seeing sludge residue even after flushing.. then there's not much of a choice but another engine.

B20B's a next logical step if B18/B16 is getting scarce. >P

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Shiro san,

Thnx. I will monitor the situation more closely. Btw, how often do we need 2 top up da coolant in the reservoir?
Almost never, if there's no leaks. The water isn't supposed to disappear anywhere. It circulates within the engine cooling pathways, and if it exceeds the 1.3 bar of the radiator cap, leaks out to the reservoir, and when it cools, it sucks it back. There's no place for it to disappear.

When you have gasket leak or from other sources, i.e. cracked/sunken sleeves, water pump gasket, etc. then it'd might be a tad more often.

Usually it's the water pump area or the head gasket, or the hoses, a loose clamp, etc.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
My personal opinion : Mineral water shouldn't be used, since mineral water got minerals inside it. Better use reverse osmosis water, i.e R.O water because R.o water have almost none, to very minimal minerals inside.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hye all, just wanna inquire about the problem of my 4age ST. I have changes da fuel pump using Walbro. My engine is like starving for fuel because i cant rev till 7 anymore. It just goes to 6 + then da car is just like not having enough fuel to burn. After a while of revving da engine, then it will just stall and doesn't wanna start. Takes around 5 mins or so to start it again. Had this problem many times in town, then have to push my car. Any advise is appreciable :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience