Sell / Trade in my current ride or get a new car

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask your opinions as stated in the title. I'm more into looking answers in if you were in my shoes what would you do. If you do own the cars listed below, I'd be delighted to know your experiences with the vehicle for example like fuel consumption within town use or traveling further distances, services and maintenance and etc. Of course by the end of the day, the decision still falls on me.

Currently I'm driving my parents rolla. Originally it was an EE100 SE (equipped with a 1.3 2E manual transmission) and bought in 1992 (according to geran kereta). Few years ago changed to 4AGE 20v BT with auto tranny (miss driving a manual car :banghead:). The car has been with the family for 20 years and going to be 21 coming this February 2013. Even though it has been my parents car, maintenance, servicing, fuel, road tax and etc. has been financed by me. Only insurance pops covered it, (phew...) and using Chartis. August next year habis insurance.

The rolla has been used mostly in KL for the past 10 years or so, only on certain occasions it is driven outside of KL. Next year probably gonna involve further distance since I'll be driving between KL and Tanjung Malim probably on a daily basis for work or at least 3 times a week. (Pindah Tg Malim, since future wife works there :love:).

Mom and dad has been thinking of letting the car go and get a newer car. With my pay, I'm only eligible to go for:

• Viva
  • MyVi
  • Saga FLX
  • Persona (Maybe)
  • Alza (Maybe)
  • Exora (Maybe but really slim chances)
Anyway, IF I intend to keep the car does anybody know what insurance company will insure a car that is above 20 years old? Will it be insured as 1st party or 3rd party (not sure if I have the correct info for it).

Would be delighted to hear opinions and experiences from peeps that has insurance for cars above 20 years old.

Personally I don't mind getting a 2nd hand car, but chances are gonna get nagged to death :secruity: which I may not be able to withstand hehe. Also, they say they will help out a bit on financing the car even though I personally do not like it. Main reason they are willing to help to finance it is because they know I'll be the person that will transport them or their goods to anywhere they desire (pops and ma already 78 and 76 this year).

After being through thick, thin and deep shit the car has been a really reliable car. It saddens me to let it go. Of course I'd be happy to 'restore' it though. But, that's another story. :biggrin:

P.S.:Sorry if my thread is kinda tunggang - langgang. Obviously I'm not a really good storyteller. :rofl:

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Cars above 20years will automatically be third party cover..unless your agent is powerful enough to get Underwriting's approval for comprehensive, or you work at an insurance company.

I'm sorry.., but the cars listed above are all boring as hell. If I were you, I'd keep the 'rolla. Perhaps only the body needs some work, my last AE92 BT had rust developing around the windscreen, now I'm wanting another 4AGE powered ride. My current is a 21year old beemer.

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Keep the car as weekend ride and buy another fuel saving car for daily commute.

nawruz

Apr 12, 2010
Selangor
Keep the 'rolla and go for the Saga FLX. Why? Sedan with ample room space. Future family car over Viva and MyVi. I've driven my sis' Viva for about 6 months. Good FC, but in view of family + future wife + in laws + ferrying goods...Saga FLX would best fit the budget vs function. My 2 cents.

lingkesh

500 RPM
Aug 20, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
i drive a Ke70 which is already 30years old this year. It is covered by AXA insurance 2nd party. Sum insured is RM10000 and the premium i paid is around 550. So you can actually get insurance for your car.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i drive a Ke70 which is already 30years old this year. It is covered by AXA insurance 2nd party. Sum insured is RM10000 and the premium i paid is around 550. So you can actually get insurance for your car.
Sorry to say that i never heard 2nd party insurance before...

Ive heard first party, third party, but never hear second party....

Can u elaborate what this 2nd party covers? :dontknow:

Tq

lingkesh

500 RPM
Aug 20, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
its similar third party but the only difference is that it covers for theft and fire where third party doesnt. In layman term we call that. I am not really sure about the correct word. Sorry. =)

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
its similar third party but the only difference is that it covers for theft and fire where third party doesnt. In layman term we call that. I am not really sure about the correct word. Sorry. =)
Thanks for letting me know about this 2nd party insurance, my personal car is running on 3rd party, sometimes feels a bit unsecure when think of it....

If its stolen, then its gone with the wind....

On the TS matter, if i were him,

I would sell of the current ride and get the latest Myvi, better if its manual, can last at least another 25 years or so....

Its only my opinion, may not reflect the taste or preference of others....:driver::love:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
yeah ive heard of that...Ooo..so they call it 2nd party haha...
plan to get it next year for my perdana.

lingkesh

500 RPM
Aug 20, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah thats what i was told. Not really sure what is the correct word or name for it. Its quite ok as the difference in price for 3rd party insurance and 2nd party is only like 100 bucks. so better go for this as it covers for theft. As we know our cars are never safe even though we have the best alarms in the market. haha

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
hmm if i were you probably keep the corolla? unless if its in really bad condition, engine, gearbox, high fc, etc etc..
then probably be better off selling it in place for a new car with lower fc..

since your main objective is as a family car and point A to B car, then it would suffice!

either go for Myvi or saga flx depending on the boot size and space u need. i wouldnt go for bigger cars like exora and alza unless u will be ferrying alot of people. if u mostly drive alone or just 2 people, i would reckon u need not get such a big car.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

and also, what is actually the main reason for changing ride?

insurance problems? or ?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Why do you need a new car? Is there a problem with the Corolla or its just old and you butt itchy? If its simply because of insurance, can definitely get, but not easy.

HONESTLY, unless you got a better reason than insurance, keep the car and use it. Spend the money on something more worthwhile like investments or on your business.

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions, lads and lasses (?).

Hmm, I might keep the rolla instead. I gave thought of keeping the rolla and buying a new car instead. But, after much consideration and calculation I doubt I can maintain 2 cars, even though the rolla may be used as a weekend car. Consideration and calculation is done on my current pay. Who knows in a month or two, salary increase *pray* I might consider this option again.

Lingkesh:
Thanks for informing about AXA insurance. 2nd party insurance sure looks interesting. I might inquire about it in the near future. Hopefully they don't change anything next year.

infinity.melvin & ixeo:
In a glance, mechanically its working fine I suppose except for the diesel sound (which if I recall due to the VVT pulley after reading the forums in here). Which I don't mind for the time being.

Main reason? In my parents eyes, they want to sell their (had to highlight that :tongue:) car while the car still has value and not to mention a bit worried due to the car's age, which from my experience the car still can go.(not easy trying to convince a 78 and 76 year old otherwise :dong:). Its hard to get a car that is somewhat spacious and have ample boot space. Sumbat 2 boxes of 32 inch LCD TVs (not mine, ok) and still have some spaces around it. Probably can fit 3 boxes.

For me personally, main problem is insurance. But after Lingkesh told me of AXA, I consider it as a solution. At least I know there's an insurance company that insures older car :biggrin:.

Caples5
Peugot 207? doubt loan approve. Parents as guarantor? tak lepas daa. Bro and sis? They all got a lot of cars already under their name. Don't think BNM will allow.

lingkesh

500 RPM
Aug 20, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Heyy Buroq.
There are other insurance companies as well that insures.
Try asking around you might get some good prices.
Gudluck.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It was my friend's car. Happened at Hartamas. The funny thing is, the thief stole the cd player and lcd. Smart tag still there. The weird thing is we dunno how the thief broke into. Glasses are all intact, no scrathes on the car and no door was broken. We even open the door using the remote. :-?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience