Scam along Karak Highway

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi Guys,

I am writing to share an experience which happened to my parents along Karak Highway over the weekend.

They were returning to KL and were travelling on the inner lane because there were kids in the car. For those who frequent this highway route between Genting and KL, you know that there are ups and down with bends.

While going round one of the bends, my dad saw a honda city parked on the emergency lane and it just dashed out onto the moving lane. The collision was inevitable and my dad's car smashed into the city and the city swerved into the ditch. Fortunately, my parents and the kids were ok, and suffered minor scratches. Unfortunately, the car could not start anymore.

Anyway, as soon as that happened, a few cars stopped and pretended to be helpful and caring. A chinese man and another indian guy in white perdana and heavily tinted glass. The honda city had no car plate number on it and my dad could not find any road tax on the glass. The indian guy the offered to help him settle everything including the police report and my dad does not even need to be present! It was weird that all this while, no one actually talked about the honda city. The indian guy claimed that the Honda was his and he will sort out its repairs. He told my dad that he also got tow truck (which arrived very fast) and that his workshop is in selayang and can handle the repairs completely.

Possibly due to the shock of the accident and the crying kids, my dad allowed this guy to tow his car which was brought to a compound near bukit tinggi. In my opinion, this was a big mistake. He should not have let anyone else tow his car. At the compound, there is nothing more that can be done but to leave the car up to this guy.

It was revealed that all he is interested in is to make insurance claims and from the damage, he will be making quite a substantial claim. It is quite likely to be a few months before we can see the car again.

Ironically, a police office came to the compound and enquire about this case. after chatting a while with the indian guy, he rode off. So i'm sure there is already some agreement. There were as well a few other cars there with smashed fronts there.

It is rather disappointing to see how Malaysia is turning out to be, everyday, we read news of kidnappings and day-light robberies in the safest neighborhoods and on the highway, things like these do happen as well. On top of that, you see authorities having a role to play in it.

I am just sending a warning out to everyone to be careful on the highways and especially this route because it looks like they do this quite often. I think the best is to stay on the middle lane or the outer lane as they seem to target slow moving cars.

more importantly, do not ever let them tow your car. If you get into an accident like this, call your own tow truck and just tell them that you'll make a police report. Do not offer to settle it otherwise.

Thanks.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
one reminder...

don't accept any towing offer from people u didn't know....

atleas call the insurance company no matter how far u were from town...if even better if u have some friends that knew some true towing services..... :adore:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
What ever happened at karak hiway, never ever let anyone tow your car or repair it to nerby workshop.

1st story happened to my brother, his car broke down at genting sempah area than someone came offer to repair at nearby workshop at janda baik.
After checking, the foreman said gearbox is kong. Then my brother decide to tow back to kl. Guess what, they charge rm300 to took the car as they promise free checking before.

2nd story happend to my brother in law. His engine got leak and repaired at basement park of hentian genying sempah. Been charge rm400 for that.
Then drove to kl, his car broke down again at sg penchala. Guess what, 1 of con rod broke. Tow it to my foreman, my foreman said it's been sabotage.

So, please remind all of us. Just call your towing panel if anything happen

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well I encountered a break down at Karak Highway before. It was just before the Bentong toll plaza and my car totally canot start. The first thing did was call the insurance company and ask for assistance. Unfortunately the insurance tow company does not cover towing if my vehicle is 4got how many km from town. So the next thing I did was I called the Highway Patrol units and asked them to toll my car to a safe place. Then I called my fren (a mechanic in KL) and asked him if he has any frens in towing business. I wanted to tow my car straight away to his workshop. Before agreeing, I asked for price first.

Then this tow guy who works for Karak Highway told me that he'll be going to Gombak and asked me if I'm willing to pay RM70 for towing my car from Bentong to Gombak toll. I agreed and asked my fren's tow guy to tow my car from Gombak to Jalan Ipoh. He charged me RM80 so total RM150. Saved alot lol

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
They used to put oil or even an object in the middle of the road. I kena 2 times, 1 is a bumper (when missing after incident) and big chunk of stone (made a hole at tire side wall).

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Last time when I got involved with car accident.....and I imeadiately called my authorized towing company for their service.....

Guess what??

The authorized towing company never send their tow truck (while telling me the truck having problem, traffic jam, delay, etc).

and strangely, 5 "cari-makan" tow trucks conveniently came to the accident site (without even telephoning them) and offer their service....
How the heck did they know about the accident sooooo fast?? No body told them about the accident. Police oso cannot reach so fast, right?

What is the story behind this?

I believe the authorized towing company call-centre personel would gets ""commission", for the info they received, more commission if there were successful towing service carried out by "cari makan" tow truck operators.

Blardy conmen.....taking advantage of unfortunate ppl....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi Guys,

I am writing to share an experience which happened to my parents along Karak Highway over the weekend.

Ironically, a police office came to the compound and enquire about this case. after chatting a while with the indian guy, he rode off. So i'm sure there is already some agreement. There were as well a few other cars there with smashed fronts there.

It is rather disappointing to see how Malaysia is turning out to be, everyday, we read news of kidnappings and day-light robberies in the safest neighborhoods and on the highway, things like these do happen as well. On top of that, you see authorities having a role to play in it.

I am just sending a warning out to everyone to be careful on the highways and especially this route because it looks like they do this quite often. I think the best is to stay on the middle lane or the outer lane as they seem to target slow moving cars.

more importantly, do not ever let them tow your car. If you get into an accident like this, call your own tow truck and just tell them that you'll make a police report. Do not offer to settle it otherwise.

Thanks.
Sorry for what happen to your parents, but they should take it as a learning experience.
For this type of case, have been on going for years and will happen anywhere.
I had an accident many years ago in PJ, and being young then and without experience let the tow truck tow off my car to their workshop. I did ask why not to the police station and they answered that the police Sargent will come to their workshop to take the pictures.
Later I found out from a friend that what they will do is remove all the good parts and replace with damaged parts before they take the pictures, that is why they tow to workshop and not to the police station. This way they can claim more from the insurance.
Finally after looking at my car damage, it will cost about RM1k for repair so instead of losing my NCD, I decide not to claim, but the workshop refused to let go of course. Then with my brother help, he got his company's workshop to talk to them and finally they let go and I just paid the tow truck fees to them....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Agree AAM is the most reliable one...

Previously my car breakdown after switching off the engine to accompany my gf to her flight at KLIA.
My parents were waiting by the car, When I came back, car couldnt start. So, suspect battery Kong,
called AAM, arrived within 45mins.

Came to check on the problem, confirm battery date, and my battery warranty just expired for a few days...
He said, nvm, I can settle for u, just replaced free one. So, he replaced it.

To show our appreciation, gave him some tips to thank for his help on helping us on saving the cost of a new battery.
Friendly and good!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well I encountered a break down at Karak Highway before. It was just before the Bentong toll plaza and my car totally canot start. The first thing did was call the insurance company and ask for assistance. Unfortunately the insurance tow company does not cover towing if my vehicle is 4got how many km from town. So the next thing I did was I called the Highway Patrol units and asked them to toll my car to a safe place. Then I called my fren (a mechanic in KL) and asked him if he has any frens in towing business. I wanted to tow my car straight away to his workshop. Before agreeing, I asked for price first.

Then this tow guy who works for Karak Highway told me that he'll be going to Gombak and asked me if I'm willing to pay RM70 for towing my car from Bentong to Gombak toll. I agreed and asked my fren's tow guy to tow my car from Gombak to Jalan Ipoh. He charged me RM80 so total RM150. Saved alot lol
I am surprise they do not tow if distance is too far. I remember reading the conditions of my insurance is that if further then certain distance then I have to pay for the extra distance.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Last time when I got involved with car accident.....and I imeadiately called my authorized towing company for their service.....

Guess what??

The authorized towing company never send their tow truck (while telling me the truck having problem, traffic jam, delay, etc).

and strangely, 5 "cari-makan" tow trucks conveniently came to the accident site (without even telephoning them) and offer their service....
How the heck did they know about the accident sooooo fast?? No body told them about the accident. Police oso cannot reach so fast, right?

What is the story behind this?

I believe the authorized towing company call-centre personel would gets ""commission", for the info they received, more commission if there were successful towing service carried out by "cari makan" tow truck operators.

Blardy conmen.....taking advantage of unfortunate ppl....
Sometimes not the authorized tow truck company, but their vultures around on their walkie talkie...:listen:
Their inform very fast one, if not how to cari makan....:banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, vultures, seen one kancil where a guy holding walkie talkie, saw a Van breakdown, quickly drive through emergency lane and turn into their direction even it is red light...

Hungry for victims...

alonso

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
but in Karak highway the famous tactic its they throw used engine oil at road surface, seriously coz ive got info from Highway Patrol normally we can see some lose control accident happens after rain or wet road....they only thinking about money compare people life :banghead:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
but in Karak highway the famous tactic its they throw used engine oil at road surface, seriously coz ive got info from Highway Patrol normally we can see some lose control accident happens after rain or wet road....they only thinking about money compare people life :banghead:
Not only karak but many trunk road at the bends also.
Yup, they think of the $$$ only, never thought what happens to other people.
Just hope this happens to their own family and friends, then see what they think.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
V2 taiko, sry I should rephrase the sentence. What u mentioned was correct. They will charge is the car break down out of their coverage area

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all ZTH sifus, recently i've bought a new set of car alarm featuring with shock sensor..i'm planning to install it by myself, but really no idea on which wire to which wire...although there is the installation diagram, by i'm still blur blur with it =.= so, anyone can help me out here? ur idea n advice r appreciated.... thx...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience