Saudi Arabia Prepares to Lift Ban on Female Drivers

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

If you're of the opinion that the religious right has too much influence on American politics, you should check out Saudi Arabia. The royal family has relied for decades on the support of fundamentalist Wahabi clerics who, in return for their support to the ibn Saud regime, have insisted on ever more stringent laws. Among those measures has been a strict ban prohibiting women from driving that has been in effect for 75 years since the founding of Saudi Arabia in 1932, but the Saudi government is finally preparing to lift the ban.

The government decision reportedly stems from an effort to placate a mounting women's lib movement, whose activists have been mounting rolling demonstrations by leading convoys of women driving around in the kingdom despite the law prohibiting them from obtaining driver's licenses or automobile insurance. According to the Saudi government, the ban will be lifted by the end of the year. Critics point out, however, that previous government commitments towards reform have not been met.

[Source: The Daily Telegraph via Instapundit, Photo by HASSAN AMMAR/AFP/Getty]

drMpower

May 1, 2006
i am a moslem and i dont think of any single reason for driving to be something the opposite of Islam.

i dont know why the RSA people dont give girls/ women the right to drive.

should move there lah - dubai - the Gold City like NT2. hoohoohhoooo

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
i am a moslem and i dont think of any single reason for driving to be something the opposite of Islam.

i dont know why the RSA people dont give girls/ women the right to drive.

should move there lah - dubai - the Gold City like NT2. hoohoohhoooo
So that they will have driver ma.. no need to worry about jam, parking and bla bla bla ma..hehehehehe somemore their husband also no need to run anywhere during weekend... have to fresh wife to buy daily use goods...hehehehehe:biggrin:

ozalkl

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2005
www.newmediaiq.com
well its good that they are going to lift the ban, i dun think it will have any effects of being muslim. its not against the rules of islam. any how currently most of the women in Saudi arabia they have drivers, so if u ask me its sort of pampering hehe... beside dun think of jam. not really an issue there, just my 2 cents..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey all sifus out there, my wira is currently having this problem that only shows when the engine is cold (early in the morning). When I start driving, the car like no power at all, and when it is in the 2nd gear it can't change to the 3rd gear, it will only raft but will go slower. Only when the I drive for sometime when the engine is heat up only it can drive smoothly. Any suggestions? D: I just overhauled my gearbox, at the start everything was okay, after 2 weeks of driving, the old...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience