Saga LMST carburetor replacement

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
I have a friend that is experiencing some problems in his carburetor on LMST. So, he is planning to replace the whole carburetor with a new unit. The question is, he is not sure of the price, brand and type of carburetor that is suitable for LMST. Anyone here can give some information? Your reply and help is much appreciated. Thank you.

I have a friend that is experiencing some problems in his carburetor on LMST. So, he is planning to replace the whole carburetor with a new unit. The question is, he is not sure of the price, brand and type of carburetor that is suitable for LMST. Anyone here can give some information? Your reply and help is much appreciated. Thank you.

If worried just buy back same type.
By the way what is wrong? Carb can be serviced...:driver:

He told me he went to Proton and they quote him 3.5k for replacement. He says that is too expensive.

He did plan to get it fixed or serviced but he says he can't find the right shop. His car is at Kuching, Sarawak now but he is from Ipoh.

He told me he went to Proton and they quote him 3.5k for replacement. He says that is too expensive.

He did plan to get it fixed or serviced but he says he can't find the right shop. His car is at Kuching, Sarawak now but he is from Ipoh.

If his car is in Kuching then hard to tell him where to fix. Just need to ask around friends in sarawak to recommend workshop

If his car is in Kuching then hard to tell him where to fix. Just need to ask around friends in sarawak to recommend workshop

Here got sifu from East Malaysia also ma. :biggrin:

For now, he just want to know about the price and brand of carburetor suitable for his LMST. Or perhaps I think he can get parts over here and ship it back to Sarawak later.

Here got sifu from East Malaysia also ma. :biggrin:

For now, he just want to know about the price and brand of carburetor suitable for his LMST. Or perhaps I think he can get parts over here and ship it back to Sarawak later.

Most of the time problem which caused by the carb is not caused by the carb itself.carb are very sensitive to vacuum leak.

if he can rebuild the carb then just buy a repair kit.repair kit suould be well below rm500.
from the look of carb servicing manual for my pajero,it can be diy but he must have patience.

Most of the time problem which caused by the carb is not caused by the carb itself.carb are very sensitive to vacuum leak.

if he can rebuild the carb then just buy a repair kit.repair kit suould be well below rm500.
from the look of carb servicing manual for my pajero,it can be diy but he must have patience.

He told me that somehow his RPM idling is not stable and his car will jerk if he drive below 2500rpm. A question, is the repair kit easy to carry around? I was thinking maybe he can buy the kit here and bring it back to Sarawak to get it sorted out over there. He is currently not in Sarawak.

He told me that somehow his RPM idling is not stable and his car will jerk if he drive below 2500rpm. A question, is the repair kit easy to carry around? I was thinking maybe he can buy the kit here and bring it back to Sarawak to get it sorted out over there. He is currently not in Sarawak.
carb repair kit is simple and can fit easily in a backpack.it consists o-ring,gaskey,sometimes solenoid and small spring.

rough idling can be caused by a vacuum leak or just dirty internal.try using carb cleaner both spray and pour-in-tank type.
On my pajero,the carb has an idle thing which, when the throttle is fully released,the carb will turn this idle valve on with its own mixture setting to save fuel.

jerking below 2500 rpm could be caused by the distributor.i exp jerking above 90kmh in my pajero and was traced to a faulty distributor.the jerking does not happen at lower speed.

thing is with carb is that not many people knows how to tune it or troubleshoot anymore.most just blame the carb and ask for the carb to be replace.

Yup, not many can do Carb service and tuning nowadays. Only the older mechanic knows, as new ones all doing injection dy.

If RM3.5k, he can very well fit in Weber Carb dy.....:driver:

see.. like everytime i write on the forum, here my place too ulu already..... everything even oem part need to buy from semenanjung and ship to sarawak:banghead:

anyway, i suggest do a proper check up to ensure and double confirm which part is faulty... do not hesitate to contact sifu peterj .. opps:vroam:

carb repair kit is simple and can fit easily in a backpack.it consists o-ring,gaskey,sometimes solenoid and small spring.

rough idling can be caused by a vacuum leak or just dirty internal.try using carb cleaner both spray and pour-in-tank type.
On my pajero,the carb has an idle thing which, when the throttle is fully released,the carb will turn this idle valve on with its own mixture setting to save fuel.

jerking below 2500 rpm could be caused by the distributor.i exp jerking above 90kmh in my pajero and was traced to a faulty distributor.the jerking does not happen at lower speed.

thing is with carb is that not many people knows how to tune it or troubleshoot anymore.most just blame the carb and ask for the carb to be replace.

Thanks for your info. I'll tell my friend to check this post. He just registered over here today after I told him that I posted here.

Which Pajero are you using by the way? I've heard of old Pajero using V6 petrol engines and some are diesel. But never heard before of carburetor models.

Yup, not many can do Carb service and tuning nowadays. Only the older mechanic knows, as new ones all doing injection dy.

If RM3.5k, he can very well fit in Weber Carb dy.....:driver:

Maybe I should tell him to seek for those old uncle mechanics. :biggrin: I guess most automotive graduates nowadays are dealing with fuel injection engines more.

I'm curious about weber carb... Is it really better than fuel injection system when it comes to performance?

see.. like everytime i write on the forum, here my place too ulu already..... everything even oem part need to buy from semenanjung and ship to sarawak:banghead:

anyway, i suggest do a proper check up to ensure and double confirm which part is faulty... do not hesitate to contact sifu peterj .. opps:vroam:

Eh, you're one of the sifus from Kuching. :biggrin: CD9A sifu. :adore:

East Malaysia sifu......or more precise Kuching sifu.......:adore:

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Maybe I should tell him to seek for those old uncle mechanics. :biggrin: I guess most automotive graduates nowadays are dealing with fuel injection engines more.

I'm curious about weber carb... Is it really better than fuel injection system when it comes to performance?

Would not say they are better then injection, just that since original is carb, Weber are easily an upgrade. All it needs is an adapter so that the Weber can be mounted on.
Weber are more powerful than original carb because they are twin choke and have larger fuel feed. But with large fuel feed, better power, comes higher FC. Here I am talking abut down draft Weber.
If more power required, there is a twin side draft but this needs a change of inlet manifold...:biggrin:

Best is to check properly whether is carb fault before buying a replacement.....:driver:

twin side draft is the equivalent of a 4 throttle efi system; performance between the two is similar only thing is that the ideal rpm operating range for the carb is narrower than that of a fuel-injected system, where you have more flexibility what with it being a 'smarter' system than the carb

however some might believe the fuel atomisation by carbs are superior to that of efi

Thanks for your info. I'll tell my friend to check this post. He just registered over here today after I told him that I posted here.

Which Pajero are you using by the way? I've heard of old Pajero using V6 petrol engines and some are diesel. But never heard before of carburetor models.

The first model pajero,the one that won the dakar rally..heheh.
People refer it as LO model or 'lampu bulat'.
Oversea its referred as mk1.
Engine is 4g54.my carb is Mikuni brand.
The stock carb has a big downside which is unlinear power delivery and very high fc.
There is a weber mode dgav32/36 which will improve the fc and power delivery.If i want more power then dgav 42 is thw way to go.
if i want superb fc then i will have to source for 2nd hand fuel injection system from mitsubishi magna model.

i am not sure what engine is your friend on but if he dont mind spending abt 2k-3k then he can buy fuel injection kit for proton wira and install it on his car.my friend did that on his saga 1.5.
works like a charm.

with carb,its easier to play around but the effective range of improvement is confined just like tofu_manic said.

Would not say they are better then injection, just that since original is carb, Weber are easily an upgrade. All it needs is an adapter so that the Weber can be mounted on.
Weber are more powerful than original carb because they are twin choke and have larger fuel feed. But with large fuel feed, better power, comes higher FC. Here I am talking abut down draft Weber.
If more power required, there is a twin side draft but this needs a change of inlet manifold...:biggrin:

Best is to check properly whether is carb fault before buying a replacement.....:driver:

Now I get it. Twin side draft is what they call as twin weber is it? Seems like changing the carburetor is the only way to improve carburetor engine performance. In fuel injection, there are things like intake manifold, injectors, throttle body and fuel rail to be considered.

My friend can't check his carb now. He is now having his university semester break at Ipoh now. Car is at Kuching. He won't be going back so soon yet. :biggrin:

twin side draft is the equivalent of a 4 throttle efi system; performance between the two is similar only thing is that the ideal rpm operating range for the carb is narrower than that of a fuel-injected system, where you have more flexibility what with it being a 'smarter' system than the carb

however some might believe the fuel atomisation by carbs are superior to that of efi

Yeah, when I look at it, twin weber does resemble those independent throttle body setup in fuel injection system.

I guess the reason for more flexibility in fuel injected system is because the ECU can control the amount of fuel sprayed by the injectors?

The first model pajero,the one that won the dakar rally..heheh.
People refer it as LO model or 'lampu bulat'.
Oversea its referred as mk1.
Engine is 4g54.my carb is Mikuni brand.
The stock carb has a big downside which is unlinear power delivery and very high fc.
There is a weber mode dgav32/36 which will improve the fc and power delivery.If i want more power then dgav 42 is thw way to go.
if i want superb fc then i will have to source for 2nd hand fuel injection system from mitsubishi magna model.

i am not sure what engine is your friend on but if he dont mind spending abt 2k-3k then he can buy fuel injection kit for proton wira and install it on his car.my friend did that on his saga 1.5.
works like a charm.

with carb,its easier to play around but the effective range of improvement is confined just like tofu_manic said.

Oh, the oldest generation of Pajero. The one that looks rather square with round lights at the front. Those models are going rather cheap nowadays when I look at it in mudah. In fact, cheaper than Kenari and Kelisa. Seems to worth the money. :biggrin:

He is running on stock 4G13 engine in his LMST Saga. I told him about considering to convert to fuel injection but he told me that he wants to remain stock. To me, I think it wasn't a bad idea converting to fuel injection since it delivers more power with better fuel consumption.

To play around with carb, a skilled mechanic is needed. The problem he is facing now is that he can't find any suitable mechanic at Kuching to deal with his carb. :biggrin:

One of my mechanic's client did that on his 2nd Gen Prelude. The intake manifold were custom-ed made and was so short the moment the carb opens the fuel is like practically in the combustion chamber....:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

To play around with carb, a skilled mechanic is needed. The problem he is facing now is that he can't find any suitable mechanic at Kuching to deal with his carb. :biggrin:

He can also fit other carb make, provided it fits and the foreman knows what he is doing....:hmmmm:

One of my mechanic's client did that on his 2nd Gen Prelude. The intake manifold were custom-ed made and was so short the moment the carb opens the fuel is like practically in the combustion chamber....:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

He can also fit other carb make, provided it fits and the foreman knows what he is doing....:hmmmm:

The response for that Prelude must be quite fast...

He did ask around for prices at Ipoh. What he found out is RM1400 plus for Aisan carburetor from Japan and another is RM450 plus from Taiwan brand.

The response for that Prelude must be quite fast...

He did ask around for prices at Ipoh. What he found out is RM1400 plus for Aisan carburetor from Japan and another is RM450 plus from Taiwan brand.

The 1.8 Prelude can match the pick up of the older beemer 323i. We tested them together....hhahahha:biggrin:

New carb nowadays not cheap too....:banghead:

The 1.8 Prelude can match the pick up of the older beemer 323i. We tested them together....hhahahha:biggrin:

New carb nowadays not cheap too....:banghead:

323i is 2.5 litre if it is from E36 generation... Quite good for a carburetor 4 pot to match a fuel injected 6 pot. :adore:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom