Safe boost pressure for stock e8 turbo

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
hi guys,

wat is the safe boost pressure for a stock e8 turbo for highway "runs"? is 1.5 too much? appreciate your feedback. tks :)

Mizu, i think the topic has been discussed b4 somewhere in MLOC forum. If recall for stock E8your 'safe high boost' shud be around 1.4 (+/- 0.5 bar). U can do a search ...

tks bro, i'm actually browsing through the tech sections to look for more info while i post my question here. sorry i so greedy... lol

ok, i've managed to dig up some info that the stock e8 turbo can boost up to a max of 1.5 bar (22 psi). i guess i'm on dangerous grounds here. anyway, i have 1 more question, as i hav upgraded the intake and also the intercooler, boost seems to climb pretty fast and when in 6th gear on highways, i have to ease of the accelerator as the boost warning keeps blinking. will i be killing my turbo anytime soon? :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
tks bro, i'm actually browsing through the tech sections to look for more info while i post my question here. sorry i so greedy... lol

ok, i've managed to dig up some info that the stock e8 turbo can boost up to a max of 1.5 bar (22 psi). i guess i'm on dangerous grounds here. anyway, i have 1 more question, as i hav upgraded the intake and also the intercooler, boost seems to climb pretty fast and when in 6th gear on highways, i have to ease of the accelerator as the boost warning keeps blinking. will i be killing my turbo anytime soon? :confused::confused::confused:

Do u have a boost controller fitted?

dewa : oic... tks bro :D

pablo : yes i have. there are 2 settings currently. 1.3bar for normal driving and 1.5bar for some fun driving. as i'm a bit paranoid, i think i'll just stick to 1.3bar. :laugh:

btw, when is the next tt session? there are still a lot of questions that i wanna ask u guys. i didn't get a "briefing" from the previous owner about the car as he isn't really a techie and also he seldom drives it so i'm still very blur about a lot of stuff.

Jun, mind to share ur experience...so far what i know we can't simply higher the boost...:listen:

jun, tks for the warning. i hav a few more questions, hope u can help :)

1. since i cant simply lower the boost, wat is the minimum boost that i should run?
2. is there a way to calculate the minimum boost for a turbo?
3. wat happens if my boost is lower than the recommended minimum boost?

tks ya... i'm not familiar with tech stuff, hope u can help to clarify :)

No such thing as minimum boost. Stock ECU or if ur ECU is tuned for hi boost even if u switch off ur boost controller car will run alright...slightly rich, dat's all. With our weather 1.5-1.55 boost with the supporting mods on stock turbo shud be ok. Best thing to do is pay 100, dyno the car & the wshop will tell u if the car is running fine with ur present setup...peace of mind.

Last edited:
tks kob. my car was dyno-ed b4 by the previous owner and the current boost settings were pre-set by the tuner, hence got 2 settings (1.3 and 1.5 bar). i just wanted to know if i was on highway and in 6th gear, if the warning lights comes on when i hit 1.5 bar, i should ease off the accelerator to preserve the turbo right? or can i just hold that speed at that boost? sorry ya... i'm really noob on these stuffs.

if u tuned your car alr u cant simply lower the boost ..cause i try to lower then i go dyno the a/f is lean

If the car is tuned for 1.5 bar peak/held boost & on d dyno chart the AFR is 12 or below then its ok to maintain that setting..the turbo can handle the boost-no problem...at any gear u don't hv to lift off. All u hv to do is to change the boost controller warning settings to get rid of the nuinsance warnings...set the warning levels to 1.55 bar. Get somebody who knows to do it. If u still get the warnings when set at 1.55, it means u r overboosting beyond 1.5.

PS: When the car is tuned for hi boost & the controller is switched off there is less air avail for combustion therefore it will be in a rich state.

Last edited:
hi guys, i have 1 more question. since i'm running a stock turbo but boosting at 1.3 and sometimes 1.5 bar, will i need a wastegate to ensure that my turbo lives longer?

As long as u r maintaining steady boost u don't need it...it won't lengthen the longevity of ur turbo. Save d money & buy a 6.5RS/9 [TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T] titanium turbo if u can get it <1.5k. Or u can spend 2.5k & upgrade ur stock turbo to 20G.

Side by side comparison E8 v E9 turbos (E9 is on the left and E8 on the right)

Attachments

• e9vse8turbocomparo0hq.jpg
    e9vse8turbocomparo0hq.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
wa... escape from wastegate poison but kena turbo poison plak. lucky i got very good anti-virus (bank n wallet no money) :rofl::rofl::rofl: anyway, i need some time get used to my car as i haven't owned a turbo car before and would like to get to know my car much more before i do any other upgrades. just learning how to take care of it oso pening liao... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

tks kob for sharing so much. i really appreciate it :wavey:

hope can yamcha with u guys soon. there are so many questions to ask. hehe...

"anyway, i need some time get used to my car as i haven't owned a turbo car before and would like to get to know my car much more before i do any other upgrades..."

:top: Good attitude...u r on d right trk. Best mod is yr driving skill. 1.5 bar is plenty enuff power. With properly set up suspension ur car will b just as fast as any seriously modded evo ard Ulu Yam or any winding roads. Gd luck...

Last edited:
that's why i wanna go for the advanced driving course and learn how to properly control a car :driver:

mizunori77

ur from PJ? I believe we're driving the same car :driver: I'm from Kelana Jaya. Maybe we cn yamcha sometime when I get back to PJ. there're lots of things to talk about :biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom