Request Assistance/Advice

PhiKK

Jul 31, 2004
Recently, the stock engine of my Toyota Corona MKII 1974 died on me. And my only option is to chuck in something new. I was thinking of taking the 1JZ route, but I also have SR20 in mind. I really am not so sure where to send it (recommendations please? preferably somwhere that can do up old cars), so any help advice would be greatly appreciated. I dont know about what hidden costs there might be.

Before the engine died, I stopped over Garang Auto in sunway and they quoted me 15K on eevrything, including chassis reinforcement. PRD (Putera Racing)'s workshop quoted about 10K for the 1jz and 8K altogether for the Sr20.

The original engine is a 2.0 carburetor engine, and previously was told by mechanics that the car body is strong, but obviously, rusted points should be checked out n fixed.

I am unsure as to what to do. I have no experience in this.
Someone please help me? and also I cant chuck in something that consumes more fuel than I can feed the fellow. I'm also a student and i dont really have much money so I cant afford to get myself into somethign which I cant pay for later.

Any response will be greatly appreciated

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
Hi Phikk.

If you're looking for the cheapest solution, use the 10k to buy another corona. It would be the cheapest to maintain and most fuel economical.

But if you got the urge for speed, then the 1JZ is the way to go if you value the Toyotaness of your car. Fuel economy and maintenance should be acceptable if you keep it stock. But still more thirsty than your old engine. As a 6 cylinder mill, it is naturally smoother and i think has more torque than the SR20 in standard form.
(not toyota sifu. pls correct me)

I think the SR20 will be lighter and more compact than the 1JZ giving better balance to your car. In terms of mods, there's 2 less of everything to buy... plugs, pistons, injectors etc therefore cheaper to mod. In terms of power, maybe more or less the same as the 1JZ with some mild mods.

The chassis of the corona may be tough, but I doubt its very rigid as it was designed a long time before CAD/CAM was around. Probably a very good idea to get it beefed up with strut bars or spot welding if u can afford it.

Also don't neglect your suspension and brakes as it's the only thing that keeps us boostheads alive.

Happy boosting and good luck

PhiKK

Jul 31, 2004
of course.. i would opt for a complete package, paying lotsa attention to braking n suspension as well. As for the chassis.. i wont be putting in a highly powered engine without beefing it up as well.. thats my plan.

and naah, im not looking to buy another 2nd hand old car. This old machine holds alotta sentimental values to me n my family:)

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
PhiKK : I'm really interested in seeing your car's transition.. coz the first ever car i've driven was MARK II!! Battousai's comment is right... 1JZ's kind of a pain on d wallet when it comes to fuel consumption... also 1JZ's road tax aint cheap either...

BLaCkHoWLiNG

Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Also, u can look into other alternatives..

1. RB20 - 2 Liter (available in NA or Turbo)
- From Nissan, Cefiro or Skyline
2. 1GGTE - 2 Liter
- From Toyota ... err... forgot wat model
3. 4AGE - 1.6 Liter
- From Levin, Trueno...
4. SR20 - 2 Liter (available in NA or Turbo)
- From Nissan... Silvia.. etc

PhiKK

Jul 31, 2004
Thanks, the engines that u have noted we're also in my thoughts,
ah u've driven a mK II, :) nice.

also, whoever's reading this, kindly point out things that i should take note, smaller things, but equally as important, eg fuel pump, oil cooler, drivetrain, transmission, engine internals, clutch, anything that i should take note of...

also if anyone knows of those "hidden cost" items that mechanics dont tell u in the beginning, please let me know...
:)

BLaCkHoWLiNG

Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
hmm... d normal stuff... timing belts.... transmission flush... engine oil.... clutch plate / cover... etc.... engine internals should be alrite.. d workshop should actually be able to pick out the good ones.... fuel pump should come along with the halfcut.. if not, if an external fuel pump is needed... should be covered by the workshop under the 'package' deal...

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Hi, I offer my website for your study....

simply think that KE70 is your type of car

As for engine ???? .......... it's your call, adapt whatever necessary as per your need.

You'll find reading phil bradshaw's website a fundamental help.

PhiKK

Jul 31, 2004
thats my darling right up there... altho a slightly different model. the back lights arent sunken inwards, it juts outwards.

acoustic, will be checking out your website.
phil bradshaw's website? could u pass me the link?

anyone know any good workshops? cuz i havent really decided where to send it. i dont really know many places, n im afraid that i'll get conned out.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
hehehe, when talk about link, try clicking on one of my link labeled "research" but not scientific research - sure cun for you :)

cress

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
My advize to u is to go to www.toymods.org.au and search for your car model. Do a research on which engine is the best setup for ur Toy.... Carzy Aussies i say!!

As for me, done a little research on the site....and came up with setting my Cressida up with a 3rd Gen 1GGTE......

Budget wise, you'll need about 10K...includes the halfcut, workmanship, replacement of unusable parts and be sure that the engine is re-balanced, overhaul if you want to avoid future headaches/heartaches/pocketaches....(Currently experiencing.....)

Keep us updated on the mods ya..... Please take pics of the proceess....Helps you heaps...

Cheers...

PhiKK

Jul 31, 2004
Sure, I'll try my best to get a hold of a digicam. Mine got stolen just a month or two back! Argh. Hmm I'll read up on the websitess that you guys have suggested.

Also, im lookin for a place that can really knock an old car back to its shiny condition. Alot of people have been telling me to look for a place which specifically does up knocking n reconditioning old cars. Is that a rule of thumb i should follow? Or would any place be good enough? Im also lookin to put a new coat of paint once all is done, and also a good set of rims!

But that is all later after the main stuff has been taken care of.

cress

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
I know this is a kindda old thread..... but hows the modding goin man>???

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After 6 years BMW has finally finished construction on BMW Welt (World), which opens to the public in just a few days. While serving as a center point for everything that is BMW, this unusual eye-catching building is a clear example of progressive architecture combined with modern design and engineering.
<object height="360" width="500">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSuvep7ctBw&rel=1"...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience