Rebuilding B16a questions

Civic-si

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Shah Alam
My ek milage is above 220k already, and i am thinking of rebuilding the engine b16a. Please advise on the parts need and the estimated cost for rebuilding the engine using oem parts.

For info, the engine dont have any problems. Civic ek4 sedan, auto tranny.

any help is appreciated.:driver:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
very subjective question bro. by rebulding u actually mean overhauling?

i think prepare somewhere within the region of 2-3k la, labor would be quite intensive as they would dismantle your engine and check from there onwards. 100% guarantee most of the rubber seals/sealant/gaskets has to be replaced, other than that.. most likely as well...

cheers.

Civic-si

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Shah Alam
I also have asked around some workshop, One workshop quoted around 1k to replace the timing belt, seals, gasket. Radiator, cooling hoses, other belting that timing belt and water pump have been replaced before.

Please advise on how to make the car to run more reliable, as i am not confident to travel long distance right now. Hehe.

Maybe what i meant is top ovrhaulig..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
1k inclusive of labor? if so that would be reasonable. your engine isn't modified, it should be reliable ...

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
if theres no major problems just do top overhaul... check ur water pump n radiator too..
check the sensors, wiring & electronic parts as well... these will give more problems since they r not easy to troubleshoot...

Civic-si

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Shah Alam
MY engine are standard except for 4-2-1 header and 2 inch piping. What the cost for top overhaul? Radiator have been changed before. Thermostat also have been replaced.

USJ101

Known Member
Aug 1, 2009
Selangor
Brother,

No doubt he quoted 1k, provided only the mentioned parts are being changed only.
They never dismantle your engine, they can't get u the exact amount.
Trust me!

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
my recent top overhaul costed me about rm1500 but that was cos had to change the valve seals a 2nd time+workmanship to "pump" out the old seals n put the new ones in...if not it would be less than rm1300.

neokenzo

Known Member
Oct 5, 2006
PJ
Sorry to hijack the thread but how often do you need to overhaul/rebuild the engine and what are the signs to that your engine needs to be overhauled/rebuild?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
if ur engine isn't giving u any funny signs, then i dont believe an overhaul is required. the most common symptom that your engine requires an overhaul is when your exhaust releases white smoke.. that means u need new piston rings (most likely).

else, dont bother. the engine is built with such reliability.. dont temper if possible.

neokenzo

Known Member
Oct 5, 2006
PJ
if ur engine isn't giving u any funny signs, then i dont believe an overhaul is required. the most common symptom that your engine requires an overhaul is when your exhaust releases white smoke.. that means u need new piston rings (most likely).

else, dont bother. the engine is built with such reliability.. dont temper if possible.
Roger that. Thanks for the advice :)

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if your engine mkn minyak hitam & exhaust has white smoke,
as arrowhead quoted, top overhaul is required, but becareful, always check your oil level,
if its low, it will makan your piston rings, worst your pistons, u gotta change all 4....
so becareful, other than than, rebore is required.

Civic-si

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Shah Alam
Thanks for the info guys, I hope to spend less than 1.5k overall. Currently my car exhaust smoke is normal, no color. But my main concern is the timing belt, i was changed only once during the 100k mileage, but now the mileage is 220k++ already.

Can change timing belt only ka?

kian27

Known Member
Sep 28, 2008
Petaling Jaya
can,why not...u are the one who pay...

btw,change it asap!!! lifetime for timing belt is 100,000km(correct me if wrong) so normally people change it when 80,000-90,000km because of traffic jam,waiting ppl with engine start etc...
if timing belt............., will cost u a bomb :banghead: :bawling:

fairy

500 RPM
Aug 24, 2007
bro, remember to change the timing belt auto tensioner :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear all, my question might sounds dumb 2 some of u...but i need 2 know whether there are any products out there which meant for maintaining rims colour? i have a new white rims and want to maintain the whiteness hehe...As i realised there are many cars with white rims out there, have turned yellowish.

Any idea guys? I went to ACE Hardware and the staff over there said no such products.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience