Proton parts any good?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
why i bother because im planning for next time parts to change. and the question was are the parts any good or as good/reliable as aftermarket parts. checked bosch cables are around rm100 -150(ori??)~.

the cables are different between my ori and new.... the part numbers on the cables are different, pricing also different 100~ and 300~.

after checking the new cable is for cps models. i bought my neo baseline model maybe cutdown all cost. but i must admit now throttle i play no need go half way, only quarter press can go already. not sure if placebo but more pick up.
When I had Wira time, there was always 3 quality my mechanic will ask me which I want. Aftermarket cheapo parts, Proton and MMC from Japan. This was especially for the mounting and the prices quite vast difference, and quality just as vast....

Nowadays I use the 555 brand. This is aftermarket Japan made parts....

2,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2005
can give your mechanic contact because vr4 front & rear mounting rubber can use wira, near cam pulley can use perdana

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
why i bother because im planning for next time parts to change. and the question was are the parts any good or as good/reliable as aftermarket parts. checked bosch cables are around rm100 -150(ori??)~.

the cables are different between my ori and new.... the part numbers on the cables are different, pricing also different 100~ and 300~.

after checking the new cable is for cps models. i bought my neo baseline model maybe cutdown all cost. but i must admit now throttle i play no need go half way, only quarter press can go already. not sure if placebo but more pick up.
Proton original parts are good, but not everything. For example an air filter you can do better for the RM30+ you'd pay for an original Proton air filter. And if you know the OEM manufacturer you can get the Proton equivalent for much cheaper. Like the Wira spark plug cables are from Bougicord. So if you bought Bougicord, you'd have the same quality and will be long lasting as stock.

Having said that, if you're concerned about long life and your car is stock, then ori parts is fine. But if your car isn't stock and expecting stock to last that long might be stretching it.

My old Wira had a lot done on it, the stock crank pulley was changed 3 times (2 times new original, one time halfcut) because of failure and finally an aftermarket pulley was used and it lasted 5 years until I sold the car.

So your question on whether it's good or not, yes it's good. But there are caveats.

2,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2005
pm to you already....
But VR can use Wira mounting?
wira front full rubber mounting pump out the rubber with the ring then pump back into vr front (that full rubber can be used for the rear mounting too). Are you using half rubber for front? Btw perhaps we should meet up some day

Last edited:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
When I had Wira time, there was always 3 quality my mechanic will ask me which I want. Aftermarket cheapo parts, Proton and MMC from Japan. This was especially for the mounting and the prices quite vast difference, and quality just as vast....

Nowadays I use the 555 brand. This is aftermarket Japan made parts....
Original part is going to be better than most aftermarket part.
They fit easily too.

555 is a reputable brand and almost all of the pajero (at home) front suspension part is using 555 now on.
Can easily see the different in visual quality compared to other brand which helps in the confidence.
It has been abt 3 years now, no freeplay at all.
Last time was even lucky enough to find new, ori MMC lower ball joint for the Pajero. Last stock so the shop sell same price as 555. The MMC looks a bit more better built than 555. Still, 55 is good enough as finding MMC can be hard.

I think there is another brand, Asahi if not mistaken. Cheaper than 555 but not buy much.

A story to share which is a sign than OE part is always better.
My car is running on french engine and can be tricky to maintain esp the parts availability.
Last time the GB oil seal develop a leak and it was sent for repair. The mech trying to save RM8 in part bought the same size compatible oil seal original made in Japan. He is confident it will fit well as he did measure it multiple time, refer the numbering on the seal multiple time. So he install the part and guess what, the leak becomes worst.
after 2 day i sent back to him. This time he bought original Renault's oils seal at extra RM 8 compared to the Japan's seal. Install the seal and...not a single drop untill today.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
They fit easily too.

555 is a reputable brand and almost all of the pajero (at home) front suspension part is using 555 now on.
Can easily see the different in visual quality compared to other brand which helps in the confidence.
Last time was even lucky enough to find new, ori MMC lower ball joint for the Pajero. Last stock so the shop sell same price as 555. The MMC looks a bit more better built than 555. Still, 55 is good enough as finding MMC can be hard.

I think there is another brand, Asahi if not mistaken. Cheaper than 555 but not buy much.

My car is running on french engine and can be tricky to maintain esp the parts availability.
Last time the GB oil seal develop a leak and it was sent for repair. The mech trying to save RM8 in part bought the same size compatible oil seal original made in Japan. He is confident it will fit well as he did measure it multiple time, refer the numbering on the seal multiple time. So he install the part and guess what, the leak becomes worst.
after 2 day i sent back to him. This time he bought original Renault's oils seal at extra RM 8 compared to the Japan's seal. Install the seal and...not a single drop untill today.
Wow same thing but so different? :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
They fit easily too.

Yup, my tie rod ends and a few others things all 555 brand also.

Probably the oil seal not suitable and needs the original...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Wow same thing but so different? :hmmmm:
I know, it surprised me too as i have embedded in my brain that as long as its the same size and dimensions, design and purpose then it will fit. Just like bearings.
Same with power steering switch which can be bought for less than RM100 for an aftermarket part. Used it a month and it will leak worse than before. Bought ori renault for RM150++ can use for a long2 time. Could be the tolerance is so tiny...micro level.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
wira front full rubber mounting pump out the rubber with the ring then pump back into vr front (that full rubber can be used for the rear mounting too). Are you using half rubber for front? Btw perhaps we should meet up some day
Okay, will study the mounting. No problem, can meet up. TT also can, DIT TT also can, at mechanic also can....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how does having a larger intercooler piping,lets say 4" , bigger plenum and bigger throttle helps in gaining performance? how would it affect otherwise? heard that it will bogged down like hell if things are not done properly. very interested in it.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience