Problem with performance

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hi Bros,

I drive a hyundai coupe and i noticed my top speed could only reach 130 max. The engine is pretty old with over 200000km done. Need some advice on how to increase the top speed as i have the need for speed. Would overhauling my engine help? As it is a pretty expensive procedure, i am hoping a cheaper alternative would help like maybe, A SAFC or e-manage, simple tuning or maybe port and polish. The engine is running smooth but the top speed is just devastating. I could use some advice on what to mod in my car.

Current mods to car
5zigen exhaust
4-2-1 extractor
Apexi carbon fibre air filter
Thermal wrap
Zaptor voltage stabilizer
Custom nylon bushing
Gab hi-lo suspension
17" rims

Please post any advice regarding my car. Thanks.

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
Hi Bros,

I drive a hyundai coupe and i noticed my top speed could only reach 130 max. The engine is pretty old with over 200000km done. Need some advice on how to increase the top speed as i have the need for speed. Would overhauling my engine help? As it is a pretty expensive procedure, i am hoping a cheaper alternative would help like maybe, A SAFC or e-manage, simple tuning or maybe port and polish. The engine is running smooth but the top speed is just devastating. I could use some advice on what to mod in my car.

Current mods to car
5zigen exhaust
4-2-1 extractor
Thermal wrap
Custom nylon bushing
Gab hi-lo suspension
17" rims

one of the things u can do is a compression test to check the state of the engine

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Woah :O
130kmh or mph?
LOL...
LOL...
If 130mph= 208km/h I don't think he would ask for helppppppppppppppppppp.

Anyway 130km/h with ALL those mod is sad...very sad.
Surely something is wrong with the engine.
Pls first do compression test as advise! wet and dry..
It will roughly tell you what is the problem...

"badan tak sihat" where can lari kuat kuat...
makan maajun ke, tongkat ali ke will not help. (e-manage/safc)
Make sure body is fit first.... clear?

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Hi Bros,

Current mods to car
5zigen exhaust
4-2-1 extractor
Thermal wrap
Custom nylon bushing
Gab hi-lo suspension
17" rims

Oh just notice another things.... you are running with 17" rims..
What is the tires spec you are using?- it will "slow' down the meter reading.
You could actually be doing faster then 130km/h...

Pls tell me you original tire specs.. e,g 195/55 15"
Pls tell me your currrent tire specs..

I will recalculate your actual speed best maybe.. case 143km/h. TQ

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Overhauling is the best thing to do. But if the price is comparable to a good halfcut/engine lantai, better swap the engine coz the amount u paying cud giv u a better kick. U must rectify the problem first n keep your engine tip top, only by then u add a piggyback. (And why would u want a piggyback on a stock engine ?)

@.@

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Little White Wagon - Yes its 130 km/h. very sad indeed

tofu_manic - Where can i do this compression test. Anywhere u recommend? Around PJ would be great.

DanzEterna - I dont want to change my engine as it is costly and i heard it cost more problems. I will changer to an evo engine in the future. but for now short on cash.

E-Tech - I have a feeling my engine is not healthy and do u have any recommendation to do compression test? The stock tired are 195/60R14 and now its 195/55R17. How do u calculate. Please share cause i want to know as well.

tigger5251 - Yeah thinking about overhauling and changing engine but it cost a lot therefore looking into other alternative and methods to identify the problem first. Thought simple tuning will help cause i read a lot of post that say tuning alone will help increase the performance. Am i wrong?

Thanks everyone for the comments.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
get a speed cut:biggrin:

Hyundai Coupe is a chick's car. All looks, no grunt.......Even so, my stock Hyundai Coupe can get to 190kph before bogging down. So there is obviously something very wrong if he cannot get his car to go beyond 130kph. Nothing to do with any speed cut.

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

tofu_manic - Where can i do this compression test. Anywhere u recommend? Around PJ would be great.

DanzEterna - I dont want to change my engine as it is costly and i heard it cost more problems. I will changer to an evo engine in the future. but for now short on cash.

E-Tech - I have a feeling my engine is not healthy and do u have any recommendation to do compression test? The stock tired are 195/60R14 and now its 195/55R17. How do u calculate. Please share cause i want to know as well.

tigger5251 - Yeah thinking about overhauling and changing engine but it cost a lot therefore looking into other alternative and methods to identify the problem first. Thought simple tuning will help cause i read a lot of post that say tuning alone will help increase the performance. Am i wrong?

Adoi, piggyback is to "manage" something NOT stock in your engine, like highcams, bigger pistons, port n polish, ignition bla bla bla. Its the internal upgrades gives u raw power, and the piggyback "manages" and make use of the mods to produce optimum power.

If u install piggyback alone, maybe u only improve 6-8%, not worth laaa

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Hyundai Coupe is a chick's car. All looks, no grunt.......Even so, my stock Hyundai Coupe can get to 190kph before bogging down. So there is obviously something very wrong if he cannot get his car to go beyond 130kph. Nothing to do with any speed cut.
Actually, it is borned with overheating problem.....hehe.....

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
At any reputable workshop with a compression tester haha

sorry im not from anywhere near that area so i have no idea

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J

Wow... that sure will mess up your speedo readings. Where do you find tires for that size? :confused:

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
Wah taiko, how u want to run the car with such big size rims. R u sure the size is 195.55.R17? Try change ur rims to 15inch, i sure it will make alots of diff.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Std coupe.....
Tire Width 195
Aspect Ratio 60
Rim Diameter (in) 14

Tire Height (in) 589.6

Distance per rot. 1852.28736

Rim beso...
Tire Width 195
Aspect Ratio 55
Rim Diameter (in) 17 inches =

Tire Height (in) 646.3 mm

Distance per rot. 2030.41608 mm

as i guessed.... your speedo is off about 9.6%
You actual car speed is 142.5km/h and not 130km/h(speedo only).
Anyway comfirm hv engine trouble...
Tq

before you ask me.... 2030/1852 X 130km/h=142.5
dun you :adore: me?

Last edited:

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
E-tech u r the man. :adore:
His engine is very old, so i think the hp also bye bye de.

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hey thanks everyone for the reply and E-tech, thank u so much for the calculation. Totally respect you man *Salute* lol. By any chance are u in the engineering field. Thanks for the calculation. Yeah please help. A lot of car has been disturbing me just cause my car looks like that. lol. I will get the compression test done first and see what is the problem. Anymore ideas do let me know. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i have a bmw e28 with 1jz turbo engine....due the different size and shape of the 1jz...i've had to modify my brake system....so now the linkage from the brake pedal to the brake pump runs inside the car and NOT inside the engine bay....my brake pump is on the left side of the car so its not directly in front of the pedal......i do have a linkage in the car but the brake feel is terrible....the pedal is so soft and it almost feels like there is no brake...but the brake actually works....im...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience