Problem(or mabye not?) with Gen2 1.3 AT

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
Hello guys. Firstly im not sure if i posted this thread in the correct section. forgive me if i did. very new here!

Okay here is my so called problem. I have just got my brand new Proton Gen2 1.3 AT yesterday. It was running all ok, but just that when i turn off my engine and remove the keys, the radiator fan just keeps spinning. I have to start my engine and then turn if off then only the fans will stop spinning.

THen today, I brought my car to the EON service centre, they told me they are not sure what is the problem, and since my car was bought from Proton Edar, they recommended me to the service centre in Jalan 222, PJ. When I approaced the mechanic there and told him my problem, he told me its normal in Gen2 cars, and it is nothing to worry about unless the fan continues to spin for like an hour. Few minutes with max 10 mins is in the "normal operating condition" I have not personally tested how long the fan spun, but then while at the EON service centre I noticed it turned off after about 3-4 minutes.

Consulting some friends, they say its not normal. So what is the problem guys? Is this really normal as claimed by the PRoton Edar mechanic? Dont seem normal to me too! Thanks guys for reading n helping me out! :smile:

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
If i remember correctly my old honda SM4 when it came brand new it had the same thing 2.. the fan would continue spinning for a while after the engine has been switch off.. its normal for my old car.. dun know about yours..

anyways how is the GEN2 1.3 performance... ?? and welcome 2 ZTH

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
Dino@Casper said:
If i remember correctly my old honda SM4 when it came brand new it had the same thing 2.. the fan would continue spinning for a while after the engine has been switch off.. its normal for my old car.. dun know about yours..

anyways how is the GEN2 1.3 performance... ?? and welcome 2 ZTH
I have done my own testing and found out it did turn off by itself after around 3-4 minutes so for now what the proton edar guys said were right.

Mine is the Gen2 1.3 auto...so 1.3 on auto, not really much of a peformance... just so so. Not responsive or so called powerless, even after stepping to about half the car will take its time 2 pickup :biggrin: cant hope much for a auto 1.3. but this is my first car and i think its way better than taking the ParkMay Bus 51 to Subang :tongue:

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
gsrTurbo9166 said:
is it gen 2 1.3 auto good???
pls comment more
i would like to get 1 for my gf
Ok comments on the car after my 2nd day driving.
Gear more responsive, prob adjusting to my driving style, getting the more feel of power. Basically comfortable to drive. Prefer to drive the Gen2 than my bro's Waja but of course waja more powerful. For normal city drive I guess the 1.3 is just okay.

One thing is the fuel consumption. I pumped full tank the day i got my car, around RM63, used for 160km++ and the meter went down the middle bar. I think fuel consumption quite high. Is this due to new car? didnt really rev so much. Will wait for the 2nd pump see how is it. Anything else u guys want to ask? :D

But this 1.3 really stripped off many things. manual adjust side mirror, no power window for the rear windows, back seat no head rest, no sport rims, no fog light, no spoiler, no reverse sensor, no cd player.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
But this 1.3 really stripped off many things. manual adjust side mirror, no power window for the rear windows, back seat no head rest, no sport rims, no fog light, no spoiler, no reverse sensor, no cd player.
wah... sad case man... better buy wira with all those stuff... should be cheaper rite??...
overall, i dont really like the design of gen2 la... so i didnt go in detail whats pro and con about it...
but this certainly up to the driver/owner... if u think its sufficient enough for u, love it...
about the high FC... i think its because of new engine... run it for about a week and see whether it improves or not...

bridgestoneRE711

500 RPM
Jan 20, 2005
let it be .
the most stupid thing of gen2 is the interior design is not even friendly to anyone in this world . yet TM can approve such design .

by the way , gen2 is nice to drive . about FC , yeah , first time , evertying is tight , the FC will be high . and the power will be lower . in long term , everthing will loose up abit then u got more power . at the same time , because the setting of the ECU too , it mean to give more rich burnign during the first run , nvm , it will be okay soon .

oh , before i forget . enjoy ur car .

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
bridgestoneRE711 said:
let it be .
the most stupid thing of gen2 is the interior design is not even friendly to anyone in this world . yet TM can approve such design .

by the way , gen2 is nice to drive . about FC , yeah , first time , evertying is tight , the FC will be high . and the power will be lower . in long term , everthing will loose up abit then u got more power . at the same time , because the setting of the ECU too , it mean to give more rich burnign during the first run , nvm , it will be okay soon .

oh , before i forget . enjoy ur car .
yeah agree interior bit problem, but oh well i shud b grateful for the moment :biggrin:

I just finished rm63 for 260km in 3 days :eek:
actually this thread was originally bout my radiator fan prob but becom the FC prob lol

and thanks bridgestoneRE711, i will surely enjoy the car. its better than parkmay cityliner and metrobus lol

lude

Known Member
Aug 5, 2004
KL
Dino@Casper said:
hahaha the fan thing also happened to my prelude last time.. nothing to worry bout.. and yeah FC should get better after putting in a few more km..

putra4767

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
gen2

Looks like no one said it's underpowered like the wira 1.3

My brother also will be getting his next month..

Anyway, what is the engine code for the 1.3

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
i am hoping that the symptom u have with ur gen2 1.3 is actually made to function like that.

all old mitsubishis (that means including 1st gen saga) is using a timed relay to let the fan runs for maybe 10 seconds in case temperature quite high. i experienced it with my father's recond galant sigma in 1989, my own supertouring in 2001-2005 and my saga auto in year 2000.
all alfa romeos also have same features. the minus point is, if the fan relay failed, the cooling fan can run continuosly over the night causing battery drainage. next morning cant start the engine.

my wife is driving gen2 1.6 which at times i drive also (and thrash also, but dont tell her). 1.3 got trip/fuel computer or not? every time fuel gauge is at E, i will refill full but can only get about 30 litres. proton never states the fuel tank capacity in the owner's manual, or the sales brochure.

i know waja has a 60 litres tank so it does not make sense for a gen2 to have a 40 litres tank. somehow, that's what proton hotline told me...

gen2 only has fuel tank capacity of 40 litres!!

but this morning a fren who works at platform division, Proton R&D informed me that the correct figure is actually 50 litres. just like wira. stupid!

anyway wahlau, u shud have purchased Savvy AMT. i suggest its a better buy compare to gen2 1.3A. u gained on more space though.

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
i hope the fan relay doesnt spoil... mine will run for about 2-3 mins sometimes, not all the time.

FC is really really high on the gen2 1.3. i just pumped full tank... around rm60 drove around 100km and gonna reach the half bar already. the manual book did state the tank capacity if i didnt remember wrongly. hope the FC will not be so high later. my engine already run like 400++ km with average of 100km a day.

1.3 has the trip/fuel computer. (the one that shows how many km i have left?) there are a few menus there and it is same with the 1.6 gen2.

It was my dad's say when it comes 2 buying the car hehe. still cant afford 2 buy my own car yet.mabye in a few years time. but i feel the savvy is kinda small for my much bigger size lol. btw.. wads this savvy amt about? some auto and manual gear?

TOE PECK

Banned
Oct 29, 2005
same thing with honda accord.apparently its for cooling the engine after u shut off..safety measure..no problems what so ever..and it will not stay on if the relay kaput..it just dont turn the fan on..

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
yeah, i forgot..the waja does not have similar features, nor the gen2 1.6 my wife drives.

if the relay kaput toe peck..its either the fan not jalan or the fan will jalan until battery kaput.

either will harn the engine...

wahlau, if really fuel tank capacity stated in ur manual, cud u please fax it to me? i had gone through the sales brochure and owner's manual and it is not stated how much. well, i believe my fren at proton who says its 50 ltrs. not happy though as its smaller than waja when both cars are 1.6.
ur gen2 auto will consume more petrol, more terrible in start-stop city driving. try to lose some weight. and btw, if u want to install sport rims, pls sell to me the original 15" steel wheel... they look niceeeee :D

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
my honda accord sv4 is having the same problem too. The fan keeps spinning after turning the engine off. But since many of u had this problem, so i guess it's alright hehe

[wAhLaU]

Oct 20, 2005
zan said:
yeah, i forgot..the waja does not have similar features, nor the gen2 1.6 my wife drives.

if the relay kaput toe peck..its either the fan not jalan or the fan will jalan until battery kaput.

either will harn the engine...

wahlau, if really fuel tank capacity stated in ur manual, cud u please fax it to me? i had gone through the sales brochure and owner's manual and it is not stated how much. well, i believe my fren at proton who says its 50 ltrs. not happy though as its smaller than waja when both cars are 1.6.
ur gen2 auto will consume more petrol, more terrible in start-stop city driving. try to lose some weight. and btw, if u want to install sport rims, pls sell to me the original 15" steel wheel... they look niceeeee :D

yeah waja dont have this system. my brother owns a waja 1.6 premium. So i tot my problem was unusual. but it doesnt happen often these days. anyway its normal i can assume now.
Yeah i checked the manual booklet and didnt find the tank capacity. remembered wrongly. sorry bout that

u wan the 15" steel wheel? nice meh lol. ill be changing it la but not so soon. just spent alot on changing accesories 2day. changed my player, tinted, reverse sensor, new alarm system. rims can wait :biggrin:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
aiyoh wahlau, ur gen2 wheels kenot fit into my wira laa...

tensen! tensen!!

TOE PECK

Banned
Oct 29, 2005
i thought gen2 1.3 comes with black steel rims with plastics hub resembles sport rim?why do u want that?

Mrnazmi

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2005
Drag City
Visit site
Like my brother's honda, but after a few minute, the fan will stop spinning because the radiotar is cool back..emm..