Power Steering Removal

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hi brothers and sisters, :adore:

I am thinking of removing my leaking power steering components and build my muscles. Ford Laser KH 4 door sedan with standard B8 180 engine.

This is just an example from the net.

1) The problem is, one belt is pulling the air conditioner compressor with the power steering pump. What should i do? Measure and get a shorter belt? Can the belt be tensioned without the power steering pump?

2) The removal means reroute both pipe ends at rack together again with fluid inside? Will it be possible my rack is leaking? I am afraid end up drying my rack.

3) Is there any manual rack available? This would be my last option as it involves current rack removal.

Thank you so much in advance. I spend RM25 (1 liter) per bottle of power steering fluid a month to top up the leaking system. :mad:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
i think u need to find idler/tensioning pulley and the bracket to hold the pulley.
but, if ur a/c compressor adjustable (which i doubt), it can be used to tension the belt.

powered steering rack i think not suitable to be used as manual steering.
the turning ratio/system might be different.

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
i think u need to find idler/tensioning pulley and the bracket to hold the pulley.
but, if ur a/c compressor adjustable (which i doubt), it can be used to tension the belt.

powered steering rack i think not suitable to be used as manual steering.
the turning ratio/system might be different.
Hi bro, hope it does come with a tensioner. I go get a clearer view tomorrow evening.

Not suitable? Ouch! :hmmmm: If like that then i better don't remove the components. Settle off the short belt with air conditioner compressor first.

Thanks bro.

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Any feedbacks and experiences from this free daily muscle building machine?

Can a powered rack converted to manual rack this way?

Thanks.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
maybe u can find suitable manual steering rack from ford/mazda that compatible to ur existing system.

btw, ur power steering leaking cant be repaired?