port matching question

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
i know port matching is basically matching the head port to intake manifold port. can someone explain more on this? how different is port matching to portnpolish?

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Port matching is as you said - matching the intake manifold port to the head port.

"Polish" is just the smoothening out of the insides of the port for better airflow

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
ok so chances are head port will always get widen than stock in order to match the manifold right? i mean manifold port cant be smaller than head port even in stock casting. correct me if im wrong

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
ok so chances are head port will always get widen than stock in order to match the manifold right? i mean manifold port cant be smaller than head port even in stock casting. correct me if im wrong
initial size for both intake manifold and cylinder head is small... u will port the intake cylinder head to get the best maximum volumetric efficiency... after that, u port the intake manifold runners to match the size of the ported cylinder head intake...

port match is to reduce air turbulance in between intake manifold and cylinder head... better air flow means improved performance....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well..for something that is mass produced...there's always some miss-produced measurement....

altough not significant in a glance..ppl who chase big power+drivability need fine tuning....

this is one of the area that need to look carefully.....as example on bike's engine head,mine can plonk in any type of camshaft and still got space for the cam lobe to rotate freely.....but some of my colleague's bike have trouble where to install exactly the same camshaft in different engine head(same bike model)....we need to grind the internal space for camshaft to allow it rotate freely....thats small example on casted product....(wouldn't happen on precision machined product).....so there's always room for improvement.... :adore: