• Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 996
  • See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
X

xjasonx

Hi,
anyone why my honda civic es, the air bag indicator light from the dash is always ON now...anyone have experienced this before?and how to solve it...please help..thanks

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
yup... if a reset is needed then it is about RM40 if not mistaken...
or DIY,...
i sAW a thread somewhere,...

u want it?

Bump: juz pinjam from european forum,...
thanx the thread poster,...

BACKGROUND:
I must make it clear that I do not really know anything about the SRS system and it's components, however I have done a lot of research online to find out how to reset the system after a fault. Honda's seem to suffer from the light coming on (even though there isn't a proper fault with it) quite a lot as I found instructions for doing this to Civics and Integras etc, but nothing specific to the Accord, hence I've put this together.

The fault may be triggered by disconnecting and reconnecting a battery, an unusual voltage drop, or more serious things such as control module failure (= £££). If there is a genuine fault with the system the light will probably come back on after you've reset it and when the light is on your airbags and seat belt pretensioners WILL NOT ACTIVATE in a crash. At this point, assuming you want your airbags to work, it's time to go to the Honda dealer.

SRS light reset

You will need:
- Jumper wire: this is just to bridge two connections. You can use either a short piece of wire stripped at both ends, or two short pieces of wire stripped at both ends (this is how I did it), or a paper clip (or similar). This will make more sense when you see the pic below.
- 8mm socket with extension bar
- Philips screwdriver

1) Locate MES Plug. I undid the 3 philips screws under the steering column shroud and removed that. Then I removed the panel beneath it which is held in place by one nut and several clips. The nut is accessible through the coin tray:

The clips thankfully are robust and I didn’t break any! Gently pull the panel and it will unclip.
2) You’ll now see the MES plug – it is the smaller of the two yellow connectors attached to the back of the fuse board (circled in the pic below). It actually isn’t connected to anything as such, it is just clipped into the board to keep it in one place.

3) Unclip the MES plug and prepare your jumper wire (with ignition OFF). I chose to use two pieces of wire as it made it easy to disconnect and reconnect the circuit for the procedure in point 4.

4) Using your jumper wire, follow the sequence below:

NB "Ignition on" means turning the ignition to "on" (not accessory, not start)

- Short and hold the leads while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
- When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will come back on.
- Short and hold the wires again. The SRS Light will go off.
- When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will blink twice.
- Turn the ignition off.
- Start engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.

NB: This series of shorting/unshorting needs to take place within a 4 second window of the SRS Light going on/off each time.
If anyone has anything to add to this please let me know. This is a well documented procedure for Honda's and as far as I know is perfectly safe and restores the SRS sytem to it's 'armed' state. I accept no responsibility for, well, anything! A quick google search on something like 'honda srs light' should reassure you that this is a safe practice, I've just adapted what I've read to make it Accord-specific.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
useful info... thx fobby
this is specifically for the accord type-R (fuhhh,... i went in to their forum, showed my ride, one guy keep pestering me to remove the euro-r emblem "saying, if it is not a euro-r, it is not worthy to wear that badge",... cheet org puteh cannot, malaysia boleh!!!), so,.. maybe itz similar for the same age hondas,...

btw,... the TS asked u to goooooogle!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

looking for kaki to play swift sport.. any bro out there has bolt on turbo on swift sport..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience