Need opinion on semi racing clutch..(mine broke on PLUS highway at 1am!! 0.o)

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
yesterday..my semi racing clutch (6months old) broke at PLUS highway 311.2 at exactly 1am..man i was scared as hell..it was dark..and not many cars passing by..to make the story short,my car was towed back to a workshop..the next morning,they confirmed that the clutch plate is broken..so..they changed with JKK clutch...

man i dont really like the new clutch..it was sluggish..not much pickup as the 4puck semi racing..the rpm climbs slow..and longer time needed to shift gears...

(1st situation / situation A = normal clutch)
but...the new clutch is giving me problem on third gear..whenver i shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear (fast shift) on high rpm (above 4k), its sounds like its stuck but the gear manage to engage..(sounded like when engaging the gear without pressing the clutch) but i did press the clutch to the floor..but when i shift it slowly..the gear engaged smoothly..

what could be the problem here?

(2nd situation / situation B = 4puck semi racing)
when i was using the 4puck semi racing clutch, on 1st gear,when i slowly press the accelerator,and release the clutch,there's brushing sounds like "vrusshhhhhhhhhh" (something rubbing against something)..and if i just quick launch it, there's also knocking sound "TOK TOK TOK" during the launch..this is evident when going uphill from standstill..even evident during jams on uphill..

1) could this be the cause of my broken clutch?
2) could this effect/hurt the gearbox itself?
3) is this normal when using semi racing clutch?
4) or does my gearbox is having problem? (as i checked with several mechanics,they said my gearbox is still fine)

A)i've made up my mind in using semi racing clutch..but i need to know some answers first,either i'll be living with it..or just forget it..(i hate to sacrifice the pickup and slight torque/g-force:mad::mad:)

B)so,if i were to choose a semi racing clutch,which one will any of you guys recommend?4puck or 3puck?mind that this car is daily driven..

C)what is the lifespan of a given semi racing clutch?

:adore::adore::adore:

hope you guys are not confuse with my questions..i tried explaining it in a manner format so to avoid confusing here..really need opinions guys

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
(1st situation / situation A = normal clutch)
but...the new clutch is giving me problem on third gear..whenver i shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear (fast shift) on high rpm (above 4k), its sounds like its stuck but the gear manage to engage..(sounded like when engaging the gear without pressing the clutch) but i did press the clutch to the floor..but when i shift it slowly..the gear engaged smoothly..
k semi racing)[/I][/B]
i also face the same prob on my gearbox but i dont think this has anything to do with the clutch but rather it might be a syncro prob in the gearbox but this only happens when im in the mood and need to shift fast then i hear a KRAKKK noise from the gearbox and can feel also there is some resistance in the gearbox but the gear still engages

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
i also face the same prob on my gearbox but i dont think this has anything to do with the clutch but rather it might be a syncro prob in the gearbox but this only happens when im in the mood and need to shift fast then i hear a KRAKKK noise from the gearbox and can feel also there is some resistance in the gearbox but the gear still engages
thx bro..but i never encounter this prob when using the 4puck semi racing clutch...?:hmmmm:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
thx bro..but i never encounter this prob when using the 4puck semi racing clutch...?:hmmmm:
:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:
i also now using exedy 3 puck full set clutch just changed in dec and still left quite a lot from my last check but my mech told me its a syncro prob

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:
i also now using exedy 3 puck full set clutch just changed in dec and still left quite a lot from my last check but my mech told me its a syncro prob
owh..but did u encounter any sounds like i mentioned in 2nd situation/situation B on my first post?

btw,how's your clutch?can give some feedback?i dont know which one to choose,either 4puck or 3puck..

how much did u get yours including installation?

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
i use exedy 3 pluck clutch on mivec. when this clutch just install, really got some krakk when launch 1st gear but after used for few thousand km, the sound n krakkk sound disappear.
when initially install, i think is clutch freeplay or uneven flywheel surface problem, coz i use skim flywheel+exedy clutch+exedy clutch cover but later check is not flywheel. so i dun bother anymore and the sound disappear until now.
my clutch use 15k km with play drag less than 20 times.
what car u use?

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
i use exedy 3 pluck clutch on mivec. when this clutch just install, really got some krakk when launch 1st gear but after used for few thousand km, the sound n krakkk sound disappear.
when initially install, i think is clutch freeplay or uneven flywheel surface problem, coz i use skim flywheel+exedy clutch+exedy clutch cover but later check is not flywheel. so i dun bother anymore and the sound disappear until now.
my clutch use 15k km with play drag less than 20 times.
what car u use?
hi bro..thx for the reply..i'm using waja 4G18..

mind telling me the pro and cons between 3puck and 4puck?or even 6puck?

btw,are you using full race clutch,or semi-racing clutch?

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
is racing clutch. but is cheaper series of exedy racing clutch(Rm900++). is S-metal 3 puck comes with clutch cover.
pro:can deliver all my engine (maybe 180++ h/p, use 1.9 mivec) to gearbox
faster gear shift
con: clutch pump wear n tear, i have change upper n lower PUMP few month after change clutch
because leaking. maybe original clucth pump cannot withstand high press
:hard to drive in traffic jam.

may i ask u, u use recon or brand new racing clutch. i noe some ppl recon used racing clutch. if u use the recon 1, then maybe is the problem why the clutch wear n tear in 6 mth.

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
owh..but did u encounter any sounds like i mentioned in 2nd situation/situation B on my first post?

btw,how's your clutch?can give some feedback?i dont know which one to choose,either 4puck or 3puck..

how much did u get yours including installation?
i dont ecounter the prob u have in situation b so i cant be of much help to you on that topic bro and my exedy the previous owner changed it before selling me it was about 1300-1400 for full set pretty darn expensive but the bite is awesome but in traffic jams when i first got the car i was like :bawling::bawling::bawling: hahha\
but now biasa already lol
but i only get the KRAKK sound when i try to shift fast normal driving dam smootn shifting ill get my mech to check it out one of these days though if i find a solution will be sure to post it here

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
is racing clutch. but is cheaper series of exedy racing clutch(Rm900++). is S-metal 3 puck comes with clutch cover.
pro:can deliver all my engine (maybe 180++ h/p, use 1.9 mivec) to gearbox
faster gear shift
con: clutch pump wear n tear, i have change upper n lower PUMP few month after change clutch
because leaking. maybe original clucth pump cannot withstand high press
:hard to drive in traffic jam.

may i ask u, u use recon or brand new racing clutch. i noe some ppl recon used racing clutch. if u use the recon 1, then maybe is the problem why the clutch wear n tear in 6 mth.
i dont know if its recond or not..because i converted to manual..and the guy gave the clutch to me..its new,and never been used before..so i changed the existing clutch (30%left) with the semi-race clutch

i dont ecounter the prob u have in situation b so i cant be of much help to you on that topic bro and my exedy the previous owner changed it before selling me it was about 1300-1400 for full set pretty darn expensive but the bite is awesome but in traffic jams when i first got the car i was like :bawling::bawling::bawling: hahha\
but now biasa already lol
but i only get the KRAKK sound when i try to shift fast normal driving dam smootn shifting ill get my mech to check it out one of these days though if i find a solution will be sure to post it here
alright..i think its some misalignment kot.. =P i'll check with someone later..

how much is a full set of semi racing clutch including installation?

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
ahh yes thx bro..

anyway,i've done searching the net about 3puck and 4puck..some says 3puck are not easy to drive..not recommend for daily driven car..4puck is better..

anyone has confirmation on this?difference between 3puck and 4puck

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
ahh yes thx bro..

anyway,i've done searching the net about 3puck and 4puck..some says 3puck are not easy to drive..not recommend for daily driven car..4puck is better..

anyone has confirmation on this?difference between 3puck and 4puck
well in theory 3 puck is harder than 4 puck but it provides better bite than 3 puck thats why some ppl mite say it is unsuitable for daily driving but i say its just a matter of getting used to it like for instance im using exedy 3 puck on my car which is purely daily driven
however, it will definitely take some getting used to at first but after the first week or so it should start to feel more natural and after that you will really enjoy the 3 puck without any regrets
however you should still test a friends car with 3 puck first and confirm the hardness just to get an idea of what u may be paying for then from there onwards its up to you bro :top:

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
exedy 3 puck s-metal is suit for daily. not so aggresive.for 4g9X engine is price around rm1000++ now.
i think u last time clutch failure coz the dunno what brand clutch. a good n durability racing clutch coz around 1k, where gt free 1.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
exedy 3 puck s-metal is suit for daily. not so aggresive.for 4g9X engine is price around rm1000++ now.
i think u last time clutch failure coz the dunno what brand clutch. a good n durability racing clutch coz around 1k, where gt free 1.
how bout the KRAKKK sound that happens when shifting gear fast??whats ur take on that bro??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all USJ members,

pls look out for 2 suspecions malay in their 20's driving a silver color toyota camry (new model). as this 2 fellow was commited to several house robbery case in USJ area such as USJ 11, 9, 5, 2 for the past few months.

"my house has become their target on 15th of June, about 5.30pm, they have run away with our cash money, watches, jewelery, lap tops, handphones, digicam. while in the meantime i have been forced to goin to the bank to withdraw my saving to them after...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience