More questions! sti inj+stock fuel rail on evo mani

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
I might not bothering to attempt this haha. I haven't even installed my evo cams yet! Have dropped boost down to 12psi until i sort out BOV issue and install cams/front 3" down pipe.

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Update: The evo 6 intake with evo 5 fuel rail is in and working with a new set of Bosch 1000cc injectors (same as ID1000's)

The Airtrek fuel rail won't fit as the regulator sits right where the accelerator cable goes and connects to the throttle body...

I've had some fun getting the scaling and latency right for the new injectors and still fine tuning but it's all running.

All of the vacuum lines and solenoids I mentioned before have been removed and all is running fine with no issues or diagnostic codes.

I've now started on my manual conversion too which I may start a thread on to run through the fun I've had with that so far :)

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
Sorry didn't get to meet up in Welle. Looks like i am not going to attempt the intake manifold change, was there any improvement in response/top end? Still being super pissed with my cars performance lol. However the handling despite having 16", crappy front shocks and average tyres is really really good with the strut braces, had some cars struggling to keep up with me on the corners! :D

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
Russell are you running resistor packs? Also i tried a friends stock BOV and i still get compressor blow back. I think i found how to fix it though (i nearly bought a evo 9 BOV fo $200 too would have been a waste) i am going to cut my BOV pipe to the shortest possible length and try atmosphere. If that works it's just a matter of using a larger pipe for the BOV to have enough force to remove all the air in the 3" intercooler pipe (or i might leave it atmospheric). Will post results up.

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
I still don't have the injectors setup quite right (running a bit rich under boost) so I can't really say how much difference the intake manifold has made... It doesn't feel much different on the "butt" dyno but I need to log some runs with virtual dyno to compare.

The Bosch injectors are high impedance (same as STI pinks etc) so no need for a resistor pack.

I did have to re-wire the injector plugs though as they are different, so one more thing to consider if you are looking to go down this route.

I still get a bit of compressor surge under partial throttle too... I've cut the soft spring in my GFB response further and each time I do this it helps a little more. I have to run the BOV fully recirculated now (no vent to atmo)

Are you getting the surge / blowback on partial throttle or full noise?

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
I still don't have the injectors setup quite right (running a bit rich under boost) so I can't really say how much difference the intake manifold has made... It doesn't feel much different on the "butt" dyno but I need to log some runs with virtual dyno to compare.

The Bosch injectors are high impedance (same as STI pinks etc) so no need for a resistor pack.

I did have to re-wire the injector plugs though as they are different, so one more thing to consider if you are looking to go down this route.

I still get a bit of compressor surge under partial throttle too... I've cut the soft spring in my GFB response further and each time I do this it helps a little more. I have to run the BOV fully recirculated now (no vent to atmo)

Are you getting the surge / blowback on partial throttle or full noise?
Only Partial. Will try today again and will see what happens.

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
Ok, i decided not to bother buying a stock BOV as it's not going to fix the problem after some testing. Will have to cut the spring some more! Hopefully the larger evo 8 cams will help. These are going into my car in a few weeks all going well! Need to source some new lifters too as mine are quite ticky!.
Also need to change the rate my boost is hitting, as when i floor it at low revs it bogs down (drops timing) due to too much boost (20psi around 2800-3000) so needs to progress boost to 20psi by 3800rpm to help.

How is manual conversion going?

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Im not sure the Evo 8 cams will help at all with the compressor surge, but I'm sure they will provide other benefits!

Yes our cars with the TD05 turbo's do make a lot of boost at very low revs... I did also try to slow down the ramp rate of boost via ECU and a 3 port boost control solenoid as that definitely has an affect on the partial throttle flutter / surging, but I had other issues with that so reverted back to manual boost control and softening BOV springs as a workaround.

The manual conversion is going slowly, about 3/4 of the way through now. Hurt my hand so didnt get as much done over the last week and a half and was hoping to have it finished by now.

So far the auto is out, the 5 speed is in with new clutch etc, shifter cables and shifter are in and connected. The footbrake is gone :) and the clutch pedal is mounted.

I finally have all the right engine mounts and had a great time (not!) trying to get the transfer case back in.

Anyone who is thinking of giving this a try at home on jack stands should be prepared for a fair bit of work! I've been taking photos along the way so when I'm all done I'll write up a decent "how to" of sorts :)

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
The manual conversion is nearly complete and I drove the trek for the first time today :) :)

It's like a totally different car! so much more responsive and so glad I finally did the swap even though it's taken the best part of 3 weeks of nights and weekends to get it to this point.

I still have to mount the handbrake, cut down the brake pedal, mount rear console / armrest and put all the interior back in, hook up the reverse light and speed sensor then look to get it certified once complete.

I'm still having fueling issues with my new injector setup so I wont bother with virtual dyno runs until that's sorted and the clutch is bedded in, but very happy with my "new" car :)

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
You literary have a evo now man. Congrats. If my slow box fails one day, it'll be manual too for me.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Evo too old alrdy. If i chg car, it won't be a car at that age unless it's a super cheap one with good condition.

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Yes but I never wanted an Evo 7... I like the practicallity of the wagon / SUV Airtrek - this is still the MAC (Malaysia Airtrek Club) forum is it not :biggrin::biggrin:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If you throw in Evo parts + manual conversion, literally you have a Evo wagon with higher leadliner..

I like the space actually. In fact when I travel long distance, even my kids are teens now, they like the bigger cabin space to move around. And they can even have meals in the car with leisure. :) It's a good car but kinda old.

Poacher

Known Member
Nov 21, 2012
Auckland, NZ
They are still newish in NZ terms, most of us still drive in 1990's corolla's etc! haha. even evo 5/6 are very expensive, similar cost to Airtrek, evo 7-8 manual are like cost of evo 9/10 nearly it's crazy because of our new import laws. Too bad Airtrek doesn't hold as good value, might be time to sell for me, too many ongoing issues

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
nowadays car maker is not producing good old car like they used to.......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys...any shop tat can recommand to install wastegate wit good workmanship and reasonable price??

for Selangor :
Shah Alam,Sunway,Klang,Subang,USJ,Damansara,Puchong,OUG

for KL :
Cheras

i only familiar in tis few states,so if there is other tat not so far from it,can list down wit address and map wil be much more conveniance..thanks..

ps:i know sunway a lot...but duno which shop provide installation and the price must be reasonable...not 'parang' price.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience