Mod to fit 2 pot brake on AE111

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hi all sifus here...

I just got a pair of twin pot calipers and front rotors of a JDM AE111 GT. Want to fit it into my local model AE111. I heard it requires some slight modification. Anybody ever done this before? Any problems? What is the cost and maintenance?

Thank you...

autocrosser

Known Member
Aug 13, 2006
I thought it was plug and play. Just that you need to run at least 15inch rims because of the big rotor.
I guess i was misinformed.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I guess the single pot one is plug and play. This twin pot is bigger. The holes on the caliper and knuckle don't align with each other.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Twin pot is plug and play, you need to shave the disc to 260MM
Hey you sure? Ever done before? By the way, it's twin pot from superstrut. I got disc and caliper. No knuckle because they guy said can use back original knuckle.

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
I am using it and I sold 1 off with the same instructions and the person didn't complain back to me. Maybe you should to ask in the Toyota forums.

Twin pot only for superstrut and MR2. The guy who sold you already told you, use back original knuckle means plug and play. If you don't shave sure cannot mount. Original size is 275mm

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Brake pads cost around rm160 for OEM

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thanks for your sharing experience lkeong88. Will keep this in mind. It's good to know that it is plug and play. I'll see how.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Caliper is PNP, the disc must shave down smaller as mention..

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Hi all sifus here...

I just got a pair of twin pot calipers and front rotors of a JDM AE111 GT. Want to fit it into my local model AE111. I heard it requires some slight modification. Anybody ever done this before? Any problems? What is the cost and maintenance?

Thank you...
Did you mean this brake is from 4 door Corolla GT? Not from a Levin?
If that's the case maybe the Japanese owner already modified it from a Levin.
Please confirm the disc diameter as commented by other forummers.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi, I am 2 pot user. The caliper is plug and play. If you want to use original rotor, you have to skim it smaller a bit in diameter.
But I am using Levin single pot rotor, so everything is plug and play

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Did you mean this brake is from 4 door Corolla GT? Not from a Levin?
If that's the case maybe the Japanese owner already modified it from a Levin.
Please confirm the disc diameter as commented by other forummers.
It s from a AE111 superstrut. The diameter i have checked and it is 275 mm.

Hi, I am 2 pot user. The caliper is plug and play. If you want to use original rotor, you have to skim it smaller a bit in diameter.
But I am using Levin single pot rotor, so everything is plug and play
Thank you for feedback. This si good news. So far, 3 people have told me that it is plug and play. Only one mech told me that have to modify the knuckle. I hope no need. Because I do not want to compromise the rigidity and strength of the knuckle. Shimming the disc down to 260 mm is a must. That is no problem.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sorry to bring up this old thread. But I just thought of a question.
I will follow the advise given here and reduce disc size from 275mm to 260mm. But then I want to ask:

1. Since I reduce the rotor size, will the 2 pot caliper give any advantage over the single pot? Because by reducing rotor size, the point of contact is already reduce.

2. If don't want to reduce disc size, can we modify to refit the knuckle to give more clearance between the rotor and the caliper?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi bro Veloc, check this thread 'new disc for twin pot'

I've mod DC5 rotor which is exactly 260mm to fit into AE111 local (you can see that I cut disc cover to fit larger disc) becoz one of the rotor disc already bend.
By reducing it to 260mm diameter, it will not reduce contact between brake pad and the rotor. Thus, it nicely fit with the brake pad contact.

It's not advisable to mod knuckle or caliper to fit becoz skim rotor to 260mm will work like charm

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
The modification you did is abit weird because its too near to the middle of the rotor, your brake pads are even touching the indicator of disc thickness. Also using Honda disc on a toyota creates another problem, because the middle hub clearance is bigger on a honda compared to toyota so you need an adapter to prevent vibrations.

Contact area for JDM Single pot and Twin pot is the same. Its just that twin pot got bigger disc originally so it can dissipate more heat. You could actually modify a single pot disc into a 2 pot caliper without much problem, thats what I am using now.

If you want to use the full 275mm, you need a 16 inch rim and an adapter to mount the caliper further out.

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Caliper p&p... disk need to skim to small diameter.
If you dont want to skim the disk, u need to do a caliper bracket or mod the knuckle and need to use at least 16" rims unless you can find 15" offset rims.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Caliper p&p... disk need to skim to small diameter.
If you dont want to skim the disk, u need to do a caliper bracket or mod the knuckle and need to use at least 16" rims unless you can find 15" offset rims.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi bros and sis..
can anyone tell me which shop is recommanded to install D1 bonnet pin ?:confused::confused:
fiber hood
in suitable area Puchong / sunway (or somewhere in KL)

thank you ....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience