lighter rims..worth it?

adrianlek

Known Member
May 20, 2005
sgor
hi guys!

if a rim is lighter by 5kgs each,will it make a big difference in acceleration? (about 20kgs overall)
does it give better pick-up like compared to changing air filter/exhaust/spark plug etc?
or d difference more khau?hehe

tq

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
To put things simply, YES, they DO make a significant difference, especially during take-off.

The other mods -- well -- they do give some degree of performance increase if done properly but the rims, I must say, it a good step forward. I'd go for it 1st :smile:

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Actually come to think of it. I think manufacturers should ut more and more info on their light wheels. Most wheels are balanced weighed from the core, spoke and rims. But i have come across a website (link broken liao) where they manufacture 3 piece wheels with different material and weight combinations. You could have full lightweight core, spoke and rims. Or you mix it up. there was this formula they had where if you require more acceleration you use the lightest setup. And if you drive on track you could keep a combo of heavy core with light spoke and rims. If you do high speed you install a heavy core a light spoke and heavy rims. They also had a momentum calculation for each setup.

Sadly that only works for 3 piece wheels. Most of the stuff we buy is one piece construction. But lighter wheels does work overall for performance.

m1adam

Known Member
Feb 23, 2006
but must make sure light and strong dowan a broken rim when enter potholes

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
I have a set of 14 inch 6 kg/pc sport on hand for sale ... interest?

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Lighter rims also help in suspension, enabling the suspension to react faster because of the reduced inertia.

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
wth... sell things here pulak..

anywayz, if your rims are lighter by 5kg a piece, that is a HUGE difference. You can't measure simply by its dead weight... as in putting it on the weighing scale to see how light it is... of course, it reduces the overall weight of the car definitely...

but most importantly, the lesser the weight of the rims, it takes lesser energy to rotate the wheels... which in turn, less fuel needed to get up to speed... better FC and better performance.... it is very very significant. That's why lightweight japan rims are damn expensive and quite hard to come by... :)

adrianlek

Known Member
May 20, 2005
sgor
wow so many advantages...better braking & suspension react faster....i tot only get good pickup...hehehe

what about tyres?
for the same profile,series & rim size, is there much difference in weight between d available brands?
i read somewhere it says azenis is 1 of d heaviest...true ah?

Last edited:

m1adam

Known Member
Feb 23, 2006
14" is not my style of rims need at least 15" i really like the sparco racing rims can angkat wit 2 fingers

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
all these talk of lighter rims make me reli wanna sell off my 15" to go back to 14" .... aihhhhhhhhhhhhhh

but if u want performance instead of looks, ppl later laugh n say "eelehh 14" only, sure tipu punya car" .. hahhahhaa

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
light weight wheel is the way to go if u can afford it.more pros
then cons.even the Taiwanese is cracking their head to
produce l/w wheel that is affordable for most of us.i think
by the time the manage to make that kind of wheel,those
high end user will no longer using aluminum wheel.
magnesium will be the IN thing.btw...bro alexklg
nice ride.

m1adam

Known Member
Feb 23, 2006
must beware that most taiwan rims we buy is not certified so quite dangerous to use .