Launching a FWD

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Toxique

Known Member
Dec 7, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I was at the traffic light just now and i saw a Wira and a Civic EK sedan revving their engines and preparing to race , and when the traffic lights turned green , both car launch themselves , tyres were squeeking and disappeared in an blink of an eye and so i wonder , how do they launch their cars?

Sent from my RM-821_apac_malaysia_316 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Both cars are heavily modded

Sent from my RM-821_apac_malaysia_316 using Tapatalk

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
For manual, firstly, engage in the first gear but do not release the clutch yet. Rev the engine with your right foot on the throttle pedal until like maybe 4000rpm or 5000rpm. Release the clutch pedal when you want to launch the car. But doing this can be damaging to the clutch and tyre thread...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You need to find the rev range that's a balance of tyre grip and clutch grip. Too much and you get wheel spin. Too little and the revs aren't enough to launch the car.

But like what Renesis said - launching will kill the clutch fast. Kinda like the Ferrari 358, the launch control system will only work 2-3 times before the clutch needs replacing. But that's probably because of the big power the car has. Normal cars something else will probably break first before the clutch (or together).

Don't race la.. Wanna race do it on track - rolling start :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hehe.....perhaps some ppl wants to feel the sensation of sticking to the seat when doing brutal acceleration.

Anyway, Bro Izso is right. Burning clutch and tyres = burning more fuel= burning money.
Road cars are not to made to rev like crazy and burn the asphalt. Doing it frequently, something will eventually break. and that mean break the wallet.:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You need to find the rev range that's a balance of tyre grip and clutch grip. Too much and you get wheel spin. Too little and the revs aren't enough to launch the car.

But like what Renesis said - launching will kill the clutch fast. Kinda like the Ferrari 358, the launch control system will only work 2-3 times before the clutch needs replacing. But that's probably because of the big power the car has. Normal cars something else will probably break first before the clutch (or together).

Don't race la.. Wanna race do it on track - rolling start :biggrin:
That's why when I wanted to accelerate the car, I usually let the car go until like over 10kmh to 20kmh on the first gear then only I started to put pedal to the metal. :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For me, I just pedal to the metal from the get-go. The engine will just catch up with my throttle position eventually. As long as the engine is warmed up of course.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
For me, I just pedal to the metal from the get-go. The engine will just catch up with my throttle position eventually. As long as the engine is warmed up of course.
You mean after releasing the clutch from low rpm, straight away pedal to the metal?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hahah....this reminds me of my sarawak fren that like to floor the accelerator to show off this powderful charade aura, kick some dirt up and scaring kampung kids........until one fine day, the accelerator cable putus!....and had to push his car back through kampung road.

Donna to kesian him or serve him right for this case.....:biggrin:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
there is also a important part called "pedal or throttle control":biggrin: , mean when after launch while tyre slip, need to ease on throttle to gain back traction, which is important especially drag race, it is bit hard since need lots of practice ,need immediate judge on the throttle in that 1 sec of launching, too much throttle ease off will bring the car down to the non power range, too early pedal back"especially high torque car" will made wheel slip again, sadly i learned that after my first and last drag race.... but normally now i just pumping the pedal when launching if it slip,lol

Jose

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Subang Jaya
those standalone ecu and some piggyback ie: EMU have this launch control.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You mean after releasing the clutch from low rpm, straight away pedal to the metal?
Yeah. It's not like the engine will suddenly rev to 6000rpm. It'll be still slow and steady. Why destroy the clutch all for the sake of a traffic light drag?

Wana learn how to launch a car manually? Go play Daytona Arcade version 1
Yaaaaaaa.. hahahahahaah.. 4k rpm, left foot brake, then just floor and let go pedal!

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hi,

The water level in the radiator keeps on falling everytime I come back from a ride and each time before taking it for a drive I need to fill up the water.
The interesting part is the water level in the spare tank for the radiator keeps going up (as I would always check the water level in the spare tank is at the maximum mark and not topped all the way before taking the car out). Is this due to a problematic water pump?
I have recently (2 months ago) taken the car for a radiator...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience