Just one rim gets too hot

ianbr26

Jun 19, 2011
JB
i've not been driving my car much lately as its more like my weekend car. even just not, i decided to go fill up petrol, that's why i brought my car out. after refueling, just went for a slow drive less than 5km. when i reached home, i got out of the car and walked pass my driver's side rear tyre. i cud feel the heat. i know my car n this is sumthing new. i went closer to the tyre and could smell like sumthing is hot. touched the rim, it was damn hot. went to the ohter rims and touched them. still can touch. was like suam only. but this rim was boiling hot.

why? what is the problem? what cud be the cause?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
dat particular caliper jammed up and emitted excessive heat. u may need to service the caliper jer, or may be caused by sumthing bigger/more expensive.. i suggest u check the caliper first, and check whether the master pump one way valve is clogged by dirty brake fluid, or simply gave way cause of wear and tear

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
could also be a bad wheel bearing, is the car pulling to either sides?
i'm not sure how much heat can a bad wheel alignment be but you could be excessively grinding a tyre

hope this helps

Katsumoto

Nov 19, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
agree most likely is caliper jammed .....

how to know the caliper is jammed let me teach you a way

1) jack the car up , all 4 tyre has to leave the ground

2) then manually rotate all 4 tyres , this way you can check the wheel bearing is ok and the caliper is jammed or not

# how to look for symptom of wheel bearing faulty
when you spin the wheel tend to vibrate and got humming noise

#how to know caliper jammed
when you spin the wheel it was hard to spin (turn only for abit then stop) , and you should notice your inner brake pad is much more
worn out compare to outer side brake pad

in normal condition the wheel should spin freely for a while before it stop , when you do this test remember to release the hand brake for rear wheel & neutral gear for automatic car for front wheel

ianbr26

Jun 19, 2011
JB
Ok thank u all for ur answers. Will check by jacking up the cars. I only have 3 jacks, is it enough?

Now, lets say its really the beause of the calipers are jammed. is it an expensive repair? can i drive it to the workshop which is about 10-15km away?

Known Member
Jan 3, 2008
Your caliper is likely jammed... You need to service the caliper, maybe your brake pad need to replace also due to overheat. My car is also a weekend car, normally I doesn't pull the handbrake to high, just a click is enough due to gear is park at P.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I had this problem some time back. The caliper jammed. But the mechanic told me cant service.

May I know what to service or how to service actually?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I had this problem some time back. The caliper jammed. But the mechanic told me cant service.

May I know what to service or how to service actually?
I'm not sure about Honda calipers but if it's a caliper it'll have a brake piston. If there's a brake piston there'll be dirt guards or some sort of guard to prevent dirt from getting into the piston area. And where there's guards, it's 99% made of something that'll wear and tear. And where there's wear and tear then it's serviceable.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Damn!! Was I conned?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
depends on how severe the piston inside the caliper was scuffed..

just like the engine block and piston...if badly scuffed might not worthy to repair as it would leak badly after some time....

plus if replacement brake caliper was cheaper than repairing it why bother with repairs? :adore:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
no need to jack up yr car..just leave it on a slope...if let go the handbrake & brake pedal if yr car rolls down slowly
& brakes itself means the brake piston edi jam...are there more brake dust on yr rims compared to other rims?

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Damn!! Was I conned?
LOL .... bro, i just service mine, honda rubber seals and the dirt guard, cost me inside 100 for all 4 caliper:wavey:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
depends on how severe the piston inside the caliper was scuffed..

just like the engine block and piston...if badly scuffed might not worthy to repair as it would leak badly after some time....

plus if replacement brake caliper was cheaper than repairing it why bother with repairs? :adore:
I can't say exactly how bad my was my caliper but that mechanic said can't repair. haha. But all I can say that my tyre was barely turning and there was really a lot of brake dust on the rims. My brake pads were worn excessively.

LOL .... bro, i just service mine, honda rubber seals and the dirt guard, cost me inside 100 for all 4 caliper:wavey:
WHAT????? I paid 180 for the caliper with labour? Confirm dy la kena con. haha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

These are "HOT" cars and have higher chances of being stolen...

Owners of these cars listed should be extra careful and park in safe places....

1. Proton Perdana. Reason:- ?

2. Proton Satria GTi. Reason:- ?

3. Perodua Myvi. Reason:- ?

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience