Is this disc brake safe?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hi all.. Just need your opinion here. Preferably those with experience in this please...

I bought a disc brake set to fit into my car about a year ago from a seller in this forum. Suppose to fit it in today but I spotted some problem. It is full of rust. The knuckle, the caliper bracket, the rotor shield (that round thing like a shield don't know what is it called). I don't think it is due to me keeping it for one year because I kept it indoors and I bought another set and kept it for the same period and that set didn't rust. I don't expect new because it is halfcut item, but is this too much?

I am not blaming here. But I want to get some opinion on:
(i) Is it safe to use
(ii) What can I do to solve the problem

Below are some pictures:

At a glance, it is ok. just like any halfcut item

Zoom deeper. Everything is badly corroded and crusty.

Can poke thru the rusty rotor shield with finger.

Part of the rotor shield is already gone. Eaten by the rust. Is this part crucial?

I'm worried about the caliper bracket too. The rust is so thick that it formed layers of flakes.

So... Can use? Any ways to solve this?

Attachments

Last edited:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear Veloc,

From the photos I think its worth throwing it away....

Dont compromise safety for that small sum of money....

Sorry if my frank opinion offended you...

Also dont understand how it can be that rusty...

Salvaged from the sea? hahaha....

VTEC LoVeR

500 RPM
Jun 30, 2010
Kulim
Dear Veloc,

From the photos I think its worth throwing it away....

Dont compromise safety for that small sum of money....

Sorry if my frank opinion offended you...

Also dont understand how it can be that rusty...

Salvaged from the sea? hahaha....
Agree with you bro...

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i think the rotor shield is there to protect your rotors from stones and stuffs. I have seen cars with disc brakes without them. Practicality wise, no idea.

The thread seems to be pretty rusted as well and these are critical points. As Lesley said, best to scrap this away and get another set. This is not useable anymore and should not be on the road. Think of your love ones, yourself and other road users as well.

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
It looks like a Titanic salvage.
Well at least a Titanic Salvage has waaaaayyyy more value than that. Anyway, it is a shame and loss on what you purchase couldn't be used at all. I have no personal experience with these issues, but judging from the picture, the disc brake set is beyond repairable.

By the way, are the rust that bad on both of those disc brake set or just one side?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thanks for everyone's frank opinion. Hmm... Anymore? No one can tell me that it is repairable? If really like that, I might throw it.

Well at least a Titanic Salvage has waaaaayyyy more value than that. Anyway, it is a shame and loss on what you purchase couldn't be used at all. I have no personal experience with these issues, but judging from the picture, the disc brake set is beyond repairable.

By the way, are the rust that bad on both of those disc brake set or just one side?
Both are rusted. Just that one side is more severe. Screw that seller. Costed me rm 450.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Veloc, that shield is easily replaceable. Spare parts shop only.

For the rest, I suggest lots of WD40 and dismantling evertyhing. Then sandpaper off the rusted parts then you can see how bad is the damage. It could be just the paint that's chipping off. Don't try to repair it if it is badly rusted underneath (there's some rust convertors out there, but mostly used for car body parts) but if it's just surface - I'd use it. The bracket is a customized fit for your car? If yes - redo that bracket la. One piece change is better than buying a whole new set.

Personally I'd try to salvage what I can and just buy what I need to replace.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
agreed with Izso. sometimes rust looks way more than is actually there. clean away all the rust either by bead/sand blasting or lots of elbow grease and then only see if the metal is really worn out. after all the rust is cleaned, u'll need to go find metal crack penetrant dye and stain the entire assembly to see if there are any cracks in the metal assembly which could have been further eaten by the rust.

The shield is there to prevent oil from leaking shocks or any other source from getting onto the rotors. ever tried wd40-ing somebody's rotors? its like disney on ice until it burns off from friction (theres a sabo method for you. dont say it came from me.). the shield can be bought from halfcut shops...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Veloc, that shield is easily replaceable. Spare parts shop only.

For the rest, I suggest lots of WD40 and dismantling evertyhing. Then sandpaper off the rusted parts then you can see how bad is the damage. It could be just the paint that's chipping off. Don't try to repair it if it is badly rusted underneath (there's some rust convertors out there, but mostly used for car body parts) but if it's just surface - I'd use it. The bracket is a customized fit for your car? If yes - redo that bracket la. One piece change is better than buying a whole new set.

Personally I'd try to salvage what I can and just buy what I need to replace.
Thanks Izso! This is what I had in mind too. Feel so wasting to throw the whole thing without trying to save it. I also plan to remove the rust. But instead of DIY, I'm finding an engineering shop to sandblast it it or remove by using chemical. If not possible, then I DIY... As for the bracket and calipers, I got a spare. So thank you... I think that is what I'll do! :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro., you bought a year ago, means it was in this shape already?
Anyway, try to salvage. The rusted through shield is very thin only, but the other parts are cast iron, so whole thing is solid.
After getting of the surface rust then check the condition again....

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Agree with Izso. It's hard to tell when it comes to rust. Better do a through check first.

The brake shield is not really crucial as some do remove it to save weight. But that's up to you.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
tedious job to revive this unit back on working condition...

not to mention a lot of sweat,swearing and elbow grease....

might be worthy as junkyard sales and bought another set instead of using this set... :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
tedious job to revive this unit back on working condition...

not to mention a lot of sweat,swearing and elbow grease....

might be worthy as junkyard sales and bought another set instead of using this set... :adore:
Aww come on man. Where's your DIY spirit? :biggrin:

Imagine the huge grin on his face and the huge amount of satisfaction if he manages to DIY repair the whole thing and install on his car.

Some of us are DIY-ing not for the money saving, some of us do it for the satisfaction ecstasy!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any wira owners got do leg room light .... can teach me how to mount the light ar ? coz i cannot find any place la ..... any sample or explaination ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience