Ignition timing tuning and some spare parts questions...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
on saturday...at 8am i went out with my #12 socket wrench n loosened the 3 bolts to my distributor...then pushed it all the way backwards...no pinging at all..but an ex5 would have more power than i did that time....so i pushed it halfway...good pickup. can wheelspin at pickup n 2nd gear change but horrible pinging...i adjusted n adjusted n adjusted for about 2 hours along a road near my house...can u-turn n keep testing(got 1 motor oso tuning his engine there n we both looked at each other n grinned :rofl:) in the end got it to have some basic power while keeping the pinging to minimum...now it only pings slightly between 2100 and 3000rpms...not so good since most of town driving will be at that range...no choice. pushed further back so now very very little pinging.

good point - no more pinging(very little till almost cant hear anymore)
bad point - i still will loose to ex5 at pickup.

i think that dizzy is faulty la...kena conned with high price n lousy product...i went back to the shop n complained...he say he will check with the recond shop n try get refund n change to halfcut dizzy...anybody can find a good dizzy? at the same time...i got my vtec valve seal changed so no more leaks...very ez to do...just need to find a place to remove the valve safely cos the engine oil will flow out as soon as u remove the valve...nex time if it leaks...i know how to change already.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
ex5 also honda maaa... he also powwahh maaa...

but, seriously, i think its more towards ignition wasnt adjusted correctly, and nuthing much to do wit the dizzy. u cud adjust it, dats the main point. its not about how much u pusing2, but rather how advance the ignition is. what ron are u using eh? what about the plugs sir? what grade are those plugs?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
EX5 memang power...thats y all the rempits using. pickup is phenomenal. maintanance cheap n bomb-proof. hehehe should have said jaguh?

leo...still havent checked my plugs...the sparkplug removal tool i bought too big to fit in my engine :banghead:

using ron97. dun dare use ron95. previous dizzy aredy knocking when i used ron95...other b16a have this problem or am i the only 1?

well...i did some mild adjustments again n adjusted the gear shift cable too...so the pinging sound is barely there...i'll change the plugs to a 7 rated plug this weekend n see whats the effect. any recommendations on wat plugs to use?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
okie, ron95 doesnt kill dizzy, fyi..

weve recently tuned a bone stock b16A civic eg ferio wit ron95 and it made 160hp on the dyno dynamics, no ping, no fuss.. it was able to produce more powwahh wit d 97fuel, but i prefer to tune wit the worst option and maintain it wit the best u can afford. wit dat, he can use 95fuel if a 97 isnt around, convinient kan?

so, back to ur problem, yes imo u r the only one facing dis problem. is ur car in question here uses an auto tranny btw sir?

get a stock NGK is okie dah, i dont believe in those fancy plugs

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
sorry..wrong grammar..i meant back when i was using the previous dizzy, was having pinging when i used ron95...no pings when i used ron97...this new dizzy...havent tried ron95 yet but ron97 already pinging.

yah mine is an auto. 160 on wheels? stock engine? thats impressive...i think mine wouldn't even touch 120whp...cant find a good tuner....i know the power's there...just cant find it. DIY hasnt really worked haha

i'll get a set of NGKs n see how it goes...mind sharing what u did with that 160whp b16a?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
so, uve done sumthing to the engine, care to share what those changes are sir? u may have done sumthing dat upset the air intake temperature? zorst size? PLUGS (LOL)?

d auto B16 wasnt made for powwahh imo, but rather to give u sum extra umph compared to a non-vtec engine, the cams also different from what ive seen.. if tuned properly, the engine shudnt be pinging at all sir

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
no la. havent touched the engine at all. only regular maintenance. even the air filter is still stock. hmmm...now that u mention air intake temperature...it could be cos mine is a convert n the hole where the airbox sucks air is sort of sucking air from inside the engine bay more than from the fender hole...do u think that could be the cause?

i agree that auto doesnt do justice for this engine...but still hell fun to drive heheheh

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
If you have changed to a good working distributor and problem persist.. perhaps there are too much carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that causes your low RPM pinging. I suggest get the mechanic to clean it up by using special chemicals to clear the carbon if else fail the only solution is by doing top overhaul.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Ya-la same suggestion from foremen on bushing but I always suspected that they were trying to pull a fast one as they did not have the press machine & it cost more to change the whole arm (unless it is half cut, then how long can it last?)

For your timing, did you reset your ecu after changing the dizzy? Normally tune by ear oso okay, but your case use timing stobe still got problem.

How I normally tune by ear : 1st push the dizzy down full (do not tighten the bolts too much) drive around, sure got knocking as ignition is too retarded. Adjust higher slightly & drive around. Repeat until there is no audiable knocking then push abit higher :biggrin: (unless you worry but FC)
Did the same thing tuning my dizzy but i advanced it and slowly retard it when driving around till the knocking sound was no longer heard.:biggrin:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Did the same thing tuning my dizzy but i advanced it and slowly retard it when driving around till the knocking sound was no longer heard.:biggrin:
yah...tats wat i did too...but still not happy with the results. feels like less power than compared to last time n still have pinging.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
ohh, den u cud avoid pinging ler? okie den, set the dizzy to dat position and get power from sum other places ie fine tuning it, bigger cams, better intake, etc

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

CorsaMotorsport was officially established back in 2010 and is made up of knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful professionals who love cars. The team was very active in motorsports events prior to the establishment of the company and collaborated with third party organizations in coordinating various motorsports related events. Their mission?

"To enable and empower car and driving enthusiasts...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience