How to repatch/repair such damages on car body/paint

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear detailing Sifu... My car got some damages on the body... One glance at it, no problem... But once I learn to see things through KC's eyes (kena influence), so many of those ugly things came out...

To begin with, my car is 2k white with a clear coat that changes colour over sunlight.

Here are the pictures...

Paint chip off from front left fender

Compared to 20 cents...

I coat it with a layer of clear nail polish. Then repainted it back with the same paint as my car. I got a bit of spare paint left... Now the colour is uneven, dull, rough as you can see. How to fix? Cut-polish that area?

Gap between door and body... Paint chip off...

Gap between front left door and fender... Paint chipped off and got rust (door)

My driver side front door's window frame. I don;t know what the hell is this...

Close up...

Forgot where is this... I think its the near the outer ceiling. Where the door rubber contact when you close the door.

Random chip off...

And this is the place where when you open the front door, you can see... It is also where the door rubber contact and seal when you close the door... What ever you call that area...

Close up...

Car roof water drain... Notice the water drain size increases a bit at the front. I don't know why. Only the driver's side... It becomes really wide..

Close up....

Water drain between the body and windshield...

Rear bumper... bumper is plastic... I understand the chipped off paint part. But there is a part where the paint is on. But it is a bit sunk in. And the colour is a bit different and rough. Why is it like that? Clear coat?

Front bumper

I repainted it myself with the same paint... But soon after that the paint around it started to peel off! Help!

My rear fender got scratched when a bolt hit it... Chipping off some paint...

Please.... Please sifu if you have any tip... I don't mean to make my car dazzling... But I am just worried that if the exposed metal is not treated, it will rust and the rust spread. As you can see, some of the places have paint cracks and rust juice coming out from it...

2. How to fix areas where I have repainted myself but appears uneven, dull, rough and dry? Should I cut-polish the area? But will cut-polish destroy the clear coat and make the whole part appear dull compared to the other body parts? Will it remove the colour-changing effect under the sun?

Thank you!!!!!1

Attachments

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha... Thank you...

KC might have a different opinion?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

KC product good for cleaning. But not to repair that kind of paint.
If the paint already "koyak" you have no choice...
Seems the rubber also need to replace to new units...
Cost for repainting kinda expensive in Sabah.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Of course the product cannot fix this... But I mean I guess maybe he got an idea to fix it? Not using the product. Just need a guide... Maybe paint then polish the area to even it up or something... Last time he also taught me to fix some chipped paint damages caused by lorry travelling at highways...

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Primarily, I need advise on:

i. how to even up the paint. (The original paint and the paint that I just patch up)

and

ii. If I polish, will if destroy the clear coat and make the area dull? If so, how to even out the paint without destroying the clear coat?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

Sorry for miss-understanding...
How long the paint already?
Any chance to re-paint all over the car?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Veloc,

Sorry for miss-understanding...
How long the paint already?
Any chance to re-paint all over the car?
The paint? Car paint about 1 and a half year.... Quite new... So I don't think of repainting... Mahal la... 2k white With chameleon clear coat. I don't know the 2k white is called pearl or metallic la... i don't really know how to differentiate.

The paint that I patch up only 1 week. Just patch up. Now I need to even up the patched paint and the original paint.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
KC cant perform miricles, we detailers can restore ur paint. but cracked that can be felt by fingernails cant be fixed with our products.

i see that it is starting to rest, i suggest if you want to keep this car u better act fast and send it to the painters to strip the paint off, sandblast it to remove rust, then fill back the holes then repaint.

cracks like those on the door etc etc felt by fingernails most likely cannot be saved edi.

if you seriously want to DIY it with nail polish,, i suggest u wer sand the whole patch of 5"x5" then only apply, after apply dry it with higher grid sandpaper, then again paint it again, then wet sand it 1 last time. after that use polishing machine buff it even.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
u should have sanded down (with a block) the chipped off paint area before repainting to ensure an even surface... then of course primer, paint and clear (if needed). the area to be painted will of course be bigger...but in the end, better.

as for the rust... theres a chemical that stops rust dead in its tracks...dont know the name (but quite often shown on discovery turbo's wheeler dealers like THIS ONE).

the entire process is the same in the video for ur patches... but without the rust steps (rust remedy, filler) for areas without rust

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Rust is like cancer..

once u get it.. u have to cut it.. & replace with a new metal..

well, that's from the tv show 'Overhauling'..

Gudluck

:burnout:

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
yup..it like cancer...repaint or re repair also will come come after few month or few year depend how good the paint or sifu skill.just potong that rust metal...if on door/bonnnet.i think better change whole door/bonnet ..it ok,maybe expensive bit..

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
bro veloc,

how good the paint is also no use if your car always expose under hot sunlight and contaminated acid rain. looks like your previous painter dint do a good job removing all the rust spots and now it started to spread already. my car got problem like yours especially around roof drainage and windscreen rubber area. below is what i did

1) removed everything and do sand blast until clean. can ask sifu from paint shop do it for you.
2) get hammerite rust removal chemical from ACE hardware shop and paint it over the sufface. rust area will turn dark brownish. remember to sapu few layers and wait it til dry. the price is not cheap. small amount cost about Rm50 if im not mistaken.
3) then use hammerite paint direct to rust. it will take some time to dry. go youtube to see how this thing works.
4) final step is just like normal use primer and then follow by base and clear coat.

after above steps, my car looks ok after 1yr plus now. finger cross it can last at least 2 - 3 yrs before i get repaint.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Wow.. That is a lot of work and just last for 2-3 years? Hmm... Thank you la... But it sounds like a big project. Might do it but not in the near future... Some more this car old already. Not sure if want to spend the time and money and trouble like that.

But cracks and rust marks like that... Some people see and said it is normal for an aged car. Is it serious then? Will the car disintegrate and rot off some day because of this? Or is it safe to just leave it?

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
well, im not sure how long this going to last because my car also always expose under hot sun and rain due to my working place parking has no cover.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Wow.. That is a lot of work and just last for 2-3 years? Hmm... Thank you la... But it sounds like a big project. Might do it but not in the near future... Some more this car old already. Not sure if want to spend the time and money and trouble like that.

But cracks and rust marks like that... Some people see and said it is normal for an aged car. Is it serious then? Will the car disintegrate and rot off some day because of this? Or is it safe to just leave it?
definately not safe to leave the rust..

coz it will break.. yeah.. i mean break like 'patah' with a lil impact..

it's too risky to drive a rusted vehicle..

:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

if you're about to buy a 2nd hand car, how to make sure it is 100% accident free..
- insurance claims record can be change? or it is impossible to change?
- hiring a professional consultant?
Pls Help..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience