Help! Washing Microfiber Cloth After ONR

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
The one thing that really put me off about using ONR is dirt would literally stick on the microfiber cloth and I had to resort to really hard scrubbing and, even then, I'm not able to wash most of them off. Considering how sensitive microfiber cloths are, these kind of scrubbing would tremendously shorten it's useful life. Good quality microfiber cloths are not cheap and difficult to find over here and I just can't convince myself to use those cheapo ones. I've also tried using the Schmitt, lambswool, those dreadlocks kinda mf wash mitt, synthetic wool, etc. but they are either not as effective in safely picking up the dirt or difficult to clean as well. I still find that a plush microfiber cloth works best.

There are lots of information/guides out there on how to use ONR. But I just can't find anything good information on how to clean the mf after using ONR. Do you really have to throw one away after one use?

So, ONR users out there, do you use mf cloths and which type? How many mf cloths have you wasted? How long do your cloth last when using it with ONR? Do you still use them even though you can clearly see the black dirt stain on your mf? How do you clean them? Any alternative but still safe (for paintwork) wash media to use with ONR?

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Bro there is a post kc did that also covered how to clean the mf.

Another option u may wanna consider is getting the new opti mint. It's a washing mint made for onr see kc's latest post and u will see it there

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I have the Schmitt. Looks identical. Do you know if there's any difference between the two?

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
The one thing that really put me off about using ONR is dirt would literally stick on the microfiber cloth and I had to resort to really hard scrubbing and, even then, I'm not able to wash most of them off. Considering how sensitive microfiber cloths are, these kind of scrubbing would tremendously shorten it's useful life. Good quality microfiber cloths are not cheap and difficult to find over here and I just can't convince myself to use those cheapo ones. I've also tried using the Schmitt, lambswool, those dreadlocks kinda mf wash mitt, synthetic wool, etc. but they are either not as effective in safely picking up the dirt or difficult to clean as well. I still find that a plush microfiber cloth works best.
Bro krismas. You have answered your own question about why the dirt sticks to the MF towel when using ONR. As you have rightfully pointed out, the reason the MF towel collects the dirt is so that it is SAFE for the paint and does NOT scratch the paint while washing. ONR was designed in such a manner whereby the polymers in ONR lay down a protective layer on the paint as well as encapsulating the dirt particles and pulling them into the MF towel to PROTECT the paint from scratches which is why MF towels are the recommended medium for washing with ONR as the microfibers pick up and trap the dirt particles.

I posted a ONR guide quite some time ago:
ProDetailing: ONR- Optimum No Rinse Guide

At the end of the post I show how easy it is to 'release' the dirt from the MF towel. Just spray on some APC and rinse off.

I will also be posting a review on the Optimum Opti-Mitt soon.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
There's no question on how effective the ONR in 'encapsulation' and 'lifting' dirt, and I agree that the best 'dirt-collecting' media is a plush mf. I'm just curious whether there's a more effective way to remove the dirt from the mf without causing much harm to the mf itself. Cuz most of the time I can only wash off around 60% - 70% of the dirt. It doesn't seemed to be as easy as the guide there and some dirt stain still remained. And I'm talking about trying out everything that I have from APC, OPC, Degreaser, Dawn, FAB, BREEZE, Sunlight, etc. (hehehe...I think you already know how many types of 'chemical cleaners' I have). This including shooting it down with my pressure washer (which in this case works the best but really beats the convenience of having to bring it out and set it up just to wash the mfs). I haven't resort to scrubbing yet as that would definitely spoil the fibers of the mf. Anybody else is having this kind of situations or is it just me being too OCD about it....

Anyway, since I can't really get them clean enough (by my standard), how safe is it for re-use on the paint?

Oh...since you mentioned Opti Mitt, how does it compares to the Schmitt in term of foam construction?

Note: the particular mf that I'm talking about is the Cobra Shamrock, my most preferred choice when using ONR/DNR.

Last edited:

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
There's no question on how effective the ONR in 'encapsulation' and 'lifting' dirt, and I agree that the best 'dirt-collecting' media is a plush mf. I'm just curious whether there's a more effective way to remove the dirt from the mf without causing much harm to the mf itself. Cuz most of the time I can only wash off around 60% - 70% of the dirt. It doesn't seemed to be as easy as the guide there and some dirt stain still remained. And I'm talking about trying out everything that I have from APC, OPC, Degreaser, Dawn, FAB, BREEZE, Sunlight, etc. (hehehe...I think you already know how many types of 'chemical cleaners' I have). This including shooting it down with my pressure washer (which in this case works the best but really beats the convenience of having to bring it out and set it up just to wash the mfs). I haven't resort to scrubbing yet as that would definitely spoil the fibers of the mf. Anybody else is having this kind of situations or is it just me being too OCD about it....

Anyway, since I can't really get them clean enough (by my standard), how safe is it for re-use on the paint?

Oh...since you mentioned Opti Mitt, how does it compares to the Schmitt in term of foam construction?

Note: the particular mf that I'm talking about is the Cobra Shamrock, my most preferred choice when using ONR/DNR.
I think that it would almost be impossible to remove 100% of all the stains in the MF as it also depends on what the MF picks up off the paint. The OPC does work very well to release, most if not all of the dirt trapped in the MF so it should be safe to reuse even if there are some stains on it.

If staining is an issue then maybe it would be better to use some cheaper MF towels and just throw them away after a few washes. (Which is still cheaper than any roadside car wash.)

Have not tried the Schmitt but just posted my review on the Optimum Opti-Mitt here:
ProDetailing: Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) Guide with Optimum Opti-Mitt and Optimum Opti-Seal

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Opti Mitt is 85 - 90 ppi. Got it. Let see if I can find anything about the Schmitt. Thanks Jack.

Since the Opti Mitt came out, a lot have been asked about it's color and I'm wondering about the same thing. Why black? What do you think? Would it be more preferable if it's light colored so that you would be able to see if there's any dirt left after you rinse it off and before it goes back onto the paintwork?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

hhmm...looks like the Shmitt is 80 ppi. I wonder whether that would make any difference. Let see if I can find one to make a head to head like CEE DOG did.

Last edited:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Just a simple hobby....it's not really as complicated and it sound....hehehe....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's not the hobby I'm referring to, it's the attention to detail! Like the dirt getting stuck in MF when using ONR! That's not something I would have even noticed if it were me!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Well....there's a saying amongst the detailers...."the difference between normal polishing and detailing is in the details."

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
hmm bro krismas i never really seen ur work before. mind to post some?

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I just work on my own cars and on a few friends and family members'. Never done any for money/commercial detail. Let see if I can find some photos......

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

This is my cupboard under my porch with most of my maintenance stuffs

Testing out the 'cleaners' pH the other day

Wet sanding and doing some leveling on the front portion of my Waja

Not-so-good 50/50 of my attempt in removing the sanding marks

All done and pulling out the car outside for inspection under the sun

Engine bay

Nice beading......:biggrin:

My myvi

Inspecting under the sun before going further

Sheeting action when experimenting with a glass coating

50/50 restoring my sister's Atos headlamp

Is it snowing.....

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks bro eohl79, but sometimes pictures tend to exaggerate a bit. But I really do LOVE the reflections after some good leveling....:biggrin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
So, ONR users out there, do you use mf cloths and which type? How many mf cloths have you wasted? How long do your cloth last when using it with ONR? Do you still use them even though you can clearly see the black dirt stain on your mf? How do you clean them? Any alternative but still safe (for paintwork) wash media to use with ONR?
KrisMas... :wavey:
I think I know what you mean... Haha... I get frustrated too the first time I use ONR. You can ask KC. I know it hurts to not being able to return the MF to original condition... I know that feeling!!!
Anyways, to answer your questions...

I use a 80/20 type with nice weight. Not light ones. It comes free when I bought ONR from KC.
How many I've wasted = none.
How long my cloth last = all 3 still ok now. Half bottle ONR gone.
Do I still use them when I clearly see black = yes (i explain later).
How do I clean them = either spray OPC, agitate and rinse off; or I soak in laundry detergent for about an hour, then rinse off. I tried overnight soak but trust me, its not good to do so.

Quoting wat Seech said:
I think that it would almost be impossible to remove 100% of all the stains in the MF...
Yes it is impossible to return it to ori condition. But why do so? The role of the MF is to pick up dirt. Even after cleaning with OPC or detergent, some dirt is left there and yes my MF isn't as smooth and plushy as new. But think. OPC and soaking in detergent is very thorough already. If that can't remove some black stuff, I can only conclude 2 things:

1. It is micro/nano level fine.
2. It is colouring (some contaminants have colour)

Consider the first case, if it is nano level fine, do you seriously think that it will cause damage/scratch to your paint? I don't think so. Since it is trapped there, it will remain "in" there. Why will it come out when you are washing and scratch you paint?
Second case, since the contaminants are neutralised and it is only coloured transfered to the MF, this is fine too bro.

So stop wanting to return it to new. If you achieve that, means that the MF is not doing it's job. You should be worried then.

If you feel it is costly, what I can advise is that there is no need to buy some super expensive branded MF. No need for mother's, Megs, or what ever brand. No harm for those, but cheap ones does just as good. From around RM 9-12, you can good weight 80/20 MF. If you feel uncomfortable with it, just throw it off and use new. MF is MF. Cloth is cloth. Corporations get stuff from china factory too. Then they stamp their grand-brand on it and sell if off 10X higher. Cloth is no rocket science. But is wash solutions, there is :).

Btw, you have an almost laboratory level of equipments and products there. Very nice workstation! Nice works too! :adore:

I really hats off to you guys. You guys take detailing "seriously" to a whole new level
Bro... You took DIY to a celestial level as well. I never thought there were so many things that we could DIY before reading your posts.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks Veloc, that is very assuring. I've found a source for cheap, plushy, open-loop microfiber cloth. Not sure what's the blend but will try them out instead. RM10 for 3 pcs and won't hurt as much if I were to just use it for a couple of washes and throw away.....

Thanks for the compliments, but there are a few more people that I know of who would make my stuffs pale in comparison.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
wow good job and amazing range of products u have there! ITS INSANE! HAHA

hmmm i wash and scrub my MF and most of them comes out 90% like new with the plushy feeling. but does not last for long... i use OPC to scrub them then soak them overnight with detergent

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I think bro Kris already knows what I am talking about here but just sharing my info and usage of ONR. Bro Kris wanted a clean MF towel on every use to ensure that the MF towel can trap and hold more dirt than a dirt stained towel. I believe a dirt stained MF towel would have more chances of swirling the surface as the dirt trapping capability has been reduced (each strand of fiber can only hold so much of dirt). Some people can live with swirls, some can't. I know bro Kris is a perfectionist!

I use open ended wooly MF towel for wiping the dirt off the surface with ONR - the cheap ones that you can get from morning market for RM3 per PCS!!! I find it very good in picking up dirt as the MF strands are long, hold lots of ONR solution to prevent swirling/scratching the surface and best of all very easy to clean compared to the regular or more expensive MF towels. Most MF towels have a loop/hoop based fiber which tends to hold/trap dirt but difficult to release/wash off the dirt. I don't even need to soak the MF towel overnight (based on my experience deteriorates the fiber making it not so plush) or resort to using OPC or any other expensive cleaners to get the towel cleaned. All I use is cheap Tesco soap powder and rub the towel by hand to get the dirt out - I would say more than 90% of dirt comes off easily. Any grease/oil stains can be further removed by OPC if needed. Towel still remain plush and soft after a few months of using it.

BTW, I use the regular MF towels with hoop based fiber for drying the surface - better/drier.

Last edited:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks eohl79. Will be getting them cheapo mf very soon. Just in time though, got hold of two other 'rinseless' wash to test out. One of them really intrigue me as it's said it doesn't leave any protection behind - just wash only.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Baja 1000 is one of the most grueling, demanding and torturous rally’s in the world. And Bill Caswell is going to take part in it with his $500 BMW E30 bought off Craigslist and put together in his mom’s garage and partially at the SEMA show before heading to the sand dunes of Mexico.

Caswell’s no stranger to competing in beat up machines and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience