good pre-amp VS well electronic cross-over. and my experience @:( just wanna share)

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

HL Milk

hi all ICE sifu arround. currently i got one big question. i'm using pre-amp at this moment. but after i install my soundstream XSC.6 component set at acces. shop. the boss told me that my woofer having the same frequency as my midbass. how can i be?

synthom: When he adjust the bass at the pre-amp go lower then my woofer sound strong. when he adjust higher then the midbass go strong. so at certain point i canot really feel the woofer tum, tum sound loh. i'm SQ also but sometime sleepy then go tum tum one leh. hihihihi :D

but my 2-channel amp for front comp. dun have high-pass and also my cheapo HU dun have. so he recoment me install a E-over to overcome that problem.

so i need some opinion that which option is better and great choice for me.

1. change the HU to high pass one (most expensive).
2. as the boss said remove pre-amp and install new E-over.
3. Got any other recommentation besides this? hihihi....... doubtful mah.

so which one is better? good amp or well electronic-crossover? hai......... hard to choose leh.

and here got some experience that share when i stall my comp. set.

1. the boss always complain about my thing bad cause all the speaker + and - terbalik.
2. using the pin for amp and also HU. normally when we install HU they will strip the wire roll it then tape with isulation tape. but the boss always complain that is wrong way.
3. Manually do the coiling for my comp. set. he said ori cross-over will not provide the better and nice sound. hai........ just follow loh. will this cause speaker or my tweeter become kentuky? hihihi....... hope nothing happen. i think this i have post it few week ago.
4. finally i kena charge RM460 wah lau eh. for me its expensive loh. thing that change:
i) RCA cable from HU to front comp amp.
ii) thick cable from amp to tweeter x2.
iii) custom made cross-over.
iv) tuning.
v) installation front comp. this one terrible charge me RM200 just have 2 pieces of wood nia leh.

any comment from my experience? hai........ i think i kena con loh. :mad:

erm...can't say con...
cos u agree to let him to do ur car

ur answers:
1)high pass ? those HU are expensive ....at least 1.5K
2)can be consider..but make sure wich x-over (brand, model)
3) used back original passives

RM460 for this 2 shit ?
bull shit !

sometimes, u r bound to upgrade the HU to a better one, with features like x-over (high pass, band pass, low pass), n-numbers of EQ, Time allignment/ correction, etc.. in a way, an external x-over unit may not be needed as everything is controlled from the HU.. indirectly, it saves cost if our budget are tight..

then, good reputable amps also has built in crossover, external x-over over may not be needed too..

for long-term icer, eventually, u'll save up more money to get better HU, better amp- the money spent on external x-over can be used for sound proofing doors or other stuff ;)

pjam...well said... try to save for a better HU... Pioneer 5750 will be a good start.. make sure u use it a while...dun change too fast.. next HU would be alpine 9833 or 9835 if u got money..

get a nice 6" comp set... probably those nice one between 450 - 900.... there's a sale at eneos...u can try.. audit urself.. because its ur money and ur car...and ur ear listening to it..amps... i suggest if possible...get high powered 2 ch for ur sub...if possible the bridge it.. more powerful...i did mine..
4 ch for front and back ...2 ch to the comp set.. and maybe if urs a family car...another 2 ch for the back as well....

i got my sound stream 6.5"component set liao. just xurious to know wether i wanna save more money for better Hu or add external X-over. so i think the most smart choice is change the Hu to better one. either pioneer or alpine rite? higher pre-out is better rite? cost?

Hi

1. change the HU to high pass one (most expensive).
If u wanna buy a new hu, then go ahead

2. as the boss said remove pre-amp and install new E-over.
There r 2 type of variable-exover,
1) front/rear-high pass/sub-low pass - this is not a full active setup n do not require a 4 channel to drive ur compset, u still need ur passive xover
2) hi pass/band pass/low pass - this is for full active setup n definately u need a 4 channel amp to drive ur compset

3. Got any other recommentation besides this? hihihi....... doubtful mah.
Try to take out ur pre amp n using the ori passive xover n c how.

1. the boss always complain about my thing bad cause all the speaker + and - terbalik.
In phase is important, but some driver need to off phase baru cantik. mid bass better to in phase

2. using the pin for amp and also HU. normally when we install HU they will strip the wire roll it then tape with isulation tape. but the boss always complain that is wrong way.
Not quite understand, sorry

3. Manually do the coiling for my comp. set. he said ori cross-over will not provide the better and nice sound. hai........ just follow loh. will this cause speaker or my tweeter become kentuky? hihihi....... hope nothing happen. i think this i have post it few week ago.
This will not fry ur compset but if he miss calculated might fry them hehehe, But why would u need to add this??

4. finally i kena charge RM460 wah lau eh. for me its expensive loh. thing that change:
i) RCA cable from HU to front comp amp.
ii) thick cable from amp to tweeter x2.
iii) custom made cross-over.
iv) tuning.
v) installation front comp. this one terrible charge me RM200 just have 2 pieces of wood nia leh.
Wah 460 for all the above, very expensive, item v) lagi teruk, normal installation with additional mdf to the mids sure less than 80 per pair, but if u custome ur door panel might be the price.

did you take back the oiginal passives? Though customized passives can sound better its best to stick with the passives taht came with the speakers first.

yes i got my passive back on hand loh. bert u from penang also rite? know where to find the reliable and trustable installer from penang (better from butterworth lah). cause i from butterworth. and with reasonable price one off cause. thanks for advice. cause i plan to upgrade my HU first. then slowly will upgrade my amp as well.

why in ZTH all member just discuss about alpine, pioneer, and clarion only. not others like JVC, panasonic, aiwa ........ got one Q here. is the panasonic CQ DFX 903 good? if compare with pioneer 7750? cause the price range also at arround RM1200.

Last edited:
Budget ones .. i would go for Pioneer. lol...

Though I am from Penang but I am based in Kl now... Most of the Penang Icers recommend Golden in Bayan Lepas area... nto so sure abotu b'worth area though.

For Hu's at 1.2k thats quite a good budget. Pioneers are popular cuz of the nice displays :) If you can find a 2nd hand Alpine 9815 that would be great too. Not so sure on the Panasonic as they are not so popular.

Personally I like Clarion and at that price I think you can get a DXZ-735 or mebbe a 835 :)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom