Foreign object in fuel tank

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

theorekz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
hiztorikal.c.t.
Visit site
guys, is it possible to extract foreign object eg like nuts and etc fell into the fuel tank? what is the pre-caution step i can take now? dont start the engine?? will it be cumbersome to do such extraction process? its a '94 camry

really appreciate ur help... :_: thanks in advance..

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
What actual fell into the tank? If its just a nut, then I won't worry so much, as there is a filter to filter out foreign object. Some tank oso have a built-in strainer to capture large object. Heck, even the fuel hose would restrict the movement of the nut before reaching the filter.

I would be very wory if the foreign object was smaller in size, like fine grain of sand or fine dirt as they would possibly pass thru the filter and "KONG" the fuel system later.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
put double fuel filter lor... some say got better response if dual fuel filter.... jz some myth la...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
just don't tell us that your hamster is the foreign object...

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
theorekz said:
ken taikor.. means if quite big item no need sacred lar?

like that i feel better bit.. kekeke...

If big item, depends lor........if the big item is plastic and solvable in petrol.....the item will simply"disapear"......:_:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
why big item will end up in the fuel tank la??... got people sabotage u when u refill at petrol station??... the worker throw stone inside ar??..

when i pump petrol, i dun remove the cap early.... i only remove it when i pick up the nozzle.... after finish pumping, i quickily replace the cap back....

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Quite rightly said, there's actually a filter to stop any foreign particle from entering the injector. However what i worry most is water entering the fuel line, rather than sand. Sometimes there's bound to have moisture or when you refill during a rainy day.

theorekz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
hiztorikal.c.t.
Visit site
in fact.. the thing that went into the fuel tank is a chop stick.. hehe.... cause the '94 camry's fuel tank got a security valve.. and the valve is tightened with a spring mechanism.... poke with chop stick, mana tau half of the chop stick snap and drop in... next week sending to workshop to dismantle the fuel tank lor.. wht to do..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
theorekz said:
in fact.. the thing that went into the fuel tank is a chop stick.. hehe.... cause the '94 camry's fuel tank got a security valve.. and the valve is tightened with a spring mechanism.... poke with chop stick, mana tau half of the chop stick snap and drop in... next week sending to workshop to dismantle the fuel tank lor.. wht to do..
lolz... tangan gatal la tu....:regular_smile:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Oh man, thats the first time i heard a chop stick dropped into the fuel tank. Haha. Tough luck mate!

But i'm just wondering was the valve spoilt or something? Otherwise, why would you use a chop stick to poke the safety valve? Don't tell me just for fun.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if the chopstick is plastic, I think by the time u open up the petrol tank, the plastic might oredi being disolved in the petrol.....

I don't know wat grade of plastic used in chopstick, but I have seen plastic from butter container being turn into jelly and later "disappear". I suspek it has been disolved.

Anyway, good luck undergoing the chopstick "salvaging".

theorekz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
hiztorikal.c.t.
Visit site
cause want to fill petrol lar... the valve is so damn tight... and cant source any suitable stuff to do the job.. so poke with chop-stick lor...

ken taikor, if really dissolve.. is it ok to start the engine?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Brader, Theorekz,

Well, I'm not too sure abt how plastic reacting chemically with petrol if the plastic disolved oredi.....

If I were you, I might to flush the entire fuel system, then masuk balik petrol supply. ...thats all I can think of.

Any ZTH brader can help/suggest ani other way??

[s]UpErNoVa

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
haha chopstick? wont cause any harm bro.. it'll jus sink to de bottom of de petrol tank.. but ah well, best is still to dismantle de petrol tank n take it out.. :regular_smile:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
but i wonder how u r going to take out the chopstick? the tank cannot open into half.
btw, no harm if its left in the tank. i think it wont even get near ur internal fuel filter "socks" as there is a "bowl" covering the fuel pump and filter socks.

Lopot

Known Member
Dec 24, 2004
K.L
Visit site
If the chop stick is made from palstic you shouldn't be worry if its vaporised in your fuel tank because plastic is made from petrol based polimer. So it should be okay lor. Anyway it just half of the chopstick vs 100 liter of petrol shouldn't make any different what.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
You must first be really sure that the plastic chopstick has indeed been dissolved by the petrol. What if it has not been dissolved? You're gonna waste a whole tank of petrol.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
well, to be on the safe side, better check the fuel tank and see whether there is a chopstick. The decide on the course of action...

You can't be too careful, can you?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

NEW comer here!!! I'm 2nd batch GTI owner which using siemens not mmc engine, what can i do to upgrade my existing engine?? is it reasonable if i install turbo kit to my engine...wut choice i hav??? could u guyz help me???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience