imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Here's my first detail:
Car: Toyota Corolla SEG.
Age of paint: 1 1/2 years.
Time taken: 4 hours.
Products used: Meguiar's Quik Clay System, ColourX, NXT Tech Wax

I would like to extend a big THANK YOU to Mr Johan Wong of HyperCoat aka NXT for kindly giving me a few samples of NXT Tech Wax to try out!

It was a cloudy day so I had to use the camera's flash to pick out the swirls. The white specks are actually glitter in the paint. The car is sprayed diamond black

Click on the pics for the larger version. ZTH auto-resize makes the pic look blurry.

Before treatment:

Swirls, swirls and more swirls!

After washing the car at a snow wash service, I clayed the car. I can really feel the paint getting smoother after rubbing the clay over the surface and lubricating it with the Quik Detailer.

After claying, I went on with the ColourX.

Left side is untreated. As you can see, the colour on the right is richer and darker.

After treatment:

Swirls are less visible after polishing. But, some major scratches were still visible under a strong light.

However, the large scratch on the trunk was almost eliminated. Before this, it was really visible but now, if you don't purposely look for it, you can't find it. I was really impressed at this. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take some proper pictures.

Before

After

Final results:

"Stop looking at the other car and get back to work!"

Good reflection all round

The hood looks the best.

I'm really impressed with ColourX and NXT Tech Wax because they really do show a difference on the paint surface. The result is not stunning but it's certainly impressive. Maybe my technique is wrong.

What's next? Maybe a rotary buffer to polish out the remaining swirls.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
maybe u can try use the Scratch X to reduce all the minor scratch line, give it a few more round of polish and wax.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
maybe u can try use the Scratch X to reduce all the minor scratch line, give it a few more round of polish and wax.
Yeah. But this time, instead of hand polishing, the guys from Meguiar's forums recommended a rotary buffer. The defect remaining now is an "orange peel" defect, caused by shrinkage of paint.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Im getting a random orbit buffer to prevent swirls. Technique is also quite important.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
for beginners......it'll be best to get a random orbital buffer because it would not burn through ur paint. and trust me, using a machine the results are much much more impressive than using lotsa lotsa elbow grease. maybe u can try the bosch random orbital buffer.....very easy to use. and it works well with meguiar's buffing pads.

but still, nothing beats the rotary buffer but that one requires technique if not u'll burn through ur paint.

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
hi imoloq,where can get this meguiars?
interested n my ride also black:)
tq

Lord_darkslide

Known Member
Oct 19, 2005
nice thread...

i am also trying to detail my car... just.. i am thinking to get an mechanical polisher/orbital buffer .. the problem is.. what brand is a good 1.. i dunt want to further create more swril to my paint...

is bosch ok?? or the GIANT/TESCO/CARREFOUR Rm59.99 polisher is good enough???

heheh my car not fast... but i am trying to make it look fast.. .hehehe please help

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
plz get a good one. the Bosch random orbital is very popular in malaysia. alot of DIY-ers i know use the bosch GEX 270 AE.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks for the recommendation. How much is the GEX270AE?

Lord_darkslide

Known Member
Oct 19, 2005
imoloq.. i got this from a guys from other msia forum... i also in search for the ROB.... just trying to help...

1. BOSCH GEX270A Random Orbit Polisher = RM 320

2. BOSCH GEX270AE Random Orbit Polisher (w/ speed control) = RM 350 <---- this 1 seems to be cheaper than most hardware shop i ask..

3. BOSCH GPO 14e Polisher = RM 590

4. B&D KP600 Polisher = RM 220 (just now i see jusco sell RM189 with free B&D multipurpose pliers)

5. DeWalt DW849 = RM 670 <---- out of my budget... hehehheh

imoloq.... i have a bussiness proposal for u... since u have connection with a shop carry meguiars product... y dont u try to sell them here in ZTH... (with a special/a bit lower price than jusco Mid valley, or other store.. )

as i am in ipoh... so damn hard to get a good detailing product... best i can see is AmourAll (not full range product).. then normal stuff like KIT,polyglaze... bla bla...

mebbe other member in ZTH also want to have a good care for their cars... after all we r car enthusiast... :)

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
thanks darkside,i ll check out later at jusco midvaley:)

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
jusco midvalley selling meguiars products? i tot it is sold on some of the parkson, ace hardware, and eneos.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Remember the Mclaren F1 road car? The supercar from the 90’s that dominated auto bahns and other major highways for over 10 years. It held the title of ‘The Worlds Fastest Car’ for equally as long and some still believe it is. It’s considered the ultimate drivers car even next to a Bugatti Veyron. It produces so much heat, it needs gold platting in the engine bay just to reflect the heat. No power steering, no ABS, no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience