Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Evo 2,3 Hidden costs :)

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Dougster

Known Member
Hey all..

Really nice to see such a healthy amount of conversation going on in this forum :)

Anyway,

I'm actually considering getting an Evo 3... And as great as the performance stats may be, as impressive as the heritage is, i'm definitely considering the whole financial part of this "commitment"... I do understand that running an Evo does require its fair share of money...

So before i make the leap, i'd like to know what sort of hidden costs should i be looking for when getting an Evo 3.

Considering that its about a 15 year old engine, im sure the wear and tear parts will start to show up...

So, generally speaking from anybodies past experience, can you share what sort of costs to look out for, what sort of things to keep an eye on?

I did read that "buying an evo" sticky thread and it did provide good insight, but not sufficient from a financial point of view...

Do share.

Thanks all in advance :)

i was a Putra Evo3 owner...1997~2006...based on my own experience...1st step you have to choose and buy a good, healthy engine half cut...during convertion what i've done...do top head basic overhaul...beside ported and polished change neccessary things..ie head gasket (metal better), oil seal, valve seal etc...timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, service the radiator and also check belt tensioner and all pulleys bearing...all cost around 3K plus installation...if u got budget do overhaul the turbo unit also...After all these things were done...I used for 5years without problem..:biggrin:

Last edited:
ilmu not only high......skills must be higher....

wow...Zi u putra evo3 dulu ?? hehe me putra mivec :P

wow azizi... that's why your "ilmu" is very high. respect la sifu :adore:

ilmu not only high......skills must be higher....

Yeah, i was... and i also 'kacau' real evo last time...hehehehe:biggrin:

Bump: Can lah...sikit2...still learning..hehehe

Don't be modest la, Zi!! Everyone pay homage to u .... Already achieve 'Enlightenment on the Mountain (read: Pikes Peak)' liao ....

So in actual fact, must be called 'Guru' ..... like the one acted by Mike Myers in the 'Love Guru' ..... :rofl::rofl::thefinger::thefinger:

***Pls. see my signature***

Don't be modest la, Zi!! Everyone pay homage to u .... Already achieve 'Enlightenment on the Mountain (read: Pikes Peak)' liao ....

So in actual fact, must be called 'Guru' ..... like the one acted by Mike Myers in the 'Love Guru' ..... :rofl::rofl::thefinger::thefinger:

***Pls. see my signature***

Mike Myers in 'Love Guru'....hehehehe i like that movie...:biggrin: btw i'm still learning...:biggrin:

i was a Putra Evo3 owner...1997~2006...based on my own experience...1st step you have to choose and buy a good, healthy engine half cut...during convertion what i've done...do top head basic overhaul...beside ported and polished change neccessary things..ie head gasket (metal better), oil seal, valve seal etc...timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, service the radiator and also check belt tensioner and all pulleys bearing...all cost around 3K plus installation...if u got budget do overhaul the turbo unit also...After all these things were done...I used for 5years without problem..:biggrin:

oo...thanks for the pointers bro... i actually have a 4e in my charade now...pretty much did the same stuff in the beginning stages of the conversion.... but its great to hear that it lasted u 5 years with no problems... gives me good hope that it will last if done properly :)

Any problems that the Evo 2,3's are notoriously famous for which i should look out for as well?

i mean 5 years no problems...btw must with good maintenance...oil change , timing belt hehehe for me....there's no famous problem of Evo 2 or 3...as long u keep it as stock as possible...but when u start modifying (even u start 'touching' the BOV)...that's different story already hahahaha

Yea.. fully agree with the "fully stock" thing..lol..

UNfortunately...the few that ive found, have got slight mods... DUmp pipe, larger wastegate, etc...

once u start , u cant stop lolx

Oh yes..very true...lol...

Anyway thanks a lot for the pointers... if you can think of anymore, id be really grateful to hear it.

Thanks guys, been a pleasure talking to you all.

You must also budget for the replacement for the alternator, radiator fans, turbo actuator, aircon compressor, radiator hoses, intercooler hoses, door seals, window seals, steering tie rod, absorbers, bushings, brake hoses, brake pads, brake discs, brake oil, engine oil, gear oil.

Last edited:
You must also budget for the replacement for the alternator, radiator fans, turbo actuator, aircon compressor, radiator hoses, intercooler hoses, door seals, window seals, steering tie rod, absorbers, bushings, brake hoses, brake pads, brake discs, brake oil, engine oil, gear oil.
Question 1:
Are the following parts commonly known to wear out very fast??? Coz generally speaking they shud have a decent lifespan of a good number of years..
"door seals, window seals, steering tie rod, absorbers, bushings, brake hoses, brake pads, brake discs"

Question 2:
"radiator fan and air con compressor"
Are mitsu's air con systems not durable?

Question 3:
These are parts which MUST be changed anyway... and if changed consistently shouldnt pose a problem right?
"brake oil, engine oil, gear oil"

Question 1:
Are the following parts commonly known to wear out very fast??? Coz generally speaking they shud have a decent lifespan of a good number of years..
"door seals, window seals, steering tie rod, absorbers, bushings, brake hoses, brake pads, brake discs"

Question 2:
"radiator fan and air con compressor"
Are mitsu's air con systems not durable?

Question 3:
These are parts which MUST be changed anyway... and if changed consistently shouldnt pose a problem right?
"brake oil, engine oil, gear oil"

Answer 1:
It's a 15 year old car. We have hot weather. All the rubber parts do get hardened and crack. Absorbers, brake parts and tie rod are wear and tear parts. It's a high performance car and you can expect the previous owner to drive it quite hard with hard braking. If you are lucky, the previous owner changed them recently so you won't have to.

Answer 2:
5-7 years is the life span of a radiator fan and air compressor. Any car company is the same.

Answer 3:
Yes you are right.

I drive an Evo6 year 2000. Most of what I mentioned previously I have already changed. I haven't changed the window and door seals and they haven't leaked yet, but the condition is not very good.

You can look at it this way. The Evo 3 will be quite cheap to buy. Just keep in mind that these will need changing so you won't feel frustrated and that you got a bad deal. Things like the alternator and radiator fan motor will continue running until they fail and there's no way to find out before then. So keep using the car until it does. There's no need to go out of your way to change them. For the hoses, have a mechanic check the condition. You don't want any cracked hoses to affect your engine or braking.

the rubber seals n plastic trim shouldn't be a problem to source.u can always get proton wira ones.some of these items are identical.:biggrin::biggrin:

Online now

Search

Featured thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom