DIY Session : Car Battery Relocation

differ

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Petaling Jaya
danielczh.multiply.com
Hey guys, as you all know there are the new MF car batts in the market now.

First some info for all ZTH bros before we go on, when you buy MF batts, pick the Expanded Metal types. Batts like Century MF are not Expanded Metal and are from Thailand, hehe. There's a difference but it gets really hard to explain, maybe in my next post when i have the time.

And even better, we should support local made products so buy ABI MF batts, those are made in Malaysia. GP MF Batts are made in Philippines i think, not local. Hehe, not doing advertising, just stating facts.

Anyway, i know a lot of ppl in the car batt industry and they just told me that actually MF batteries have their lifespan shortened in most Japanese cars. The simple reason being the battery is too near the engine, thus the ambient temp gets very very hot. Heat kills MF batts and it shows since MF batts last much longer in continental cars as compared to jap cars.

So me and a buddy have come with an idea to rewire our car batteries to the car-boot instead of having it under the bonnet next to the very hot engine.

The bracket and 'holding' mechanism we have figured wouldn't be so hard to DIY and customise it. But for the wiring, we will go to a good wireman to do it.

The thing is, i'd like to share this idea and get any opinions (positive+negative) about this project from all you ZTH bros out there.

Esp from mr.johnsonlam the DIY SiFu... :lol:

Seriously, any feedback (positive or negative) is appreciated! Thanks!

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Sorry ah...

but can tell me what is MF...??

The only thing thats comes to mind is Mother F&&^#$............... and I dont think that is quite what you meant....

:o :o :o

Boink Boink

K-Kid

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Earth
Originally posted by Boink Boink@Dec 1 2003, 09:21 PM
Sorry ah...

but can tell me what is MF...??

The only thing thats comes to mind is Mother F&&^#$............... and I dont think that is quite what you meant....

:o :o :o

Boink Boink
MF = maintenance free

antonio

Old Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

hahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MF=Maintainence Free...

akekekke :lol:

differ

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Petaling Jaya
danielczh.multiply.com
yeah, MF is Maintenance Free. this means you won't need to add battery water or acid, just let it run. just pay attention to the Magic Eye indicator (on ABI batteries at least) and if it's green, no problem.

but again the problem is with the proximity of the battery to the engine in japanese cars, lowers down the MF battery's lifespan.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by differ@Dec 1 2003, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, as you all know there are the new MF car batts in the market now.

First some info for all ZTH bros before we go on, when you buy MF batts, pick the Expanded Metal types. Batts like Century MF are not Expanded Metal and are from Thailand, hehe. There's a difference but it gets really hard to explain, maybe in my next post when i have the time.

And even better, we should support local made products so buy ABI MF batts, those are made in Malaysia. GP MF Batts are made in Philippines i think, not local. Hehe, not doing advertising, just stating facts.

Anyway, i know a lot of ppl in the car batt industry and they just told me that actually MF batteries have their lifespan shortened in most Japanese cars. The simple reason being the battery is too near the engine, thus the ambient temp gets very very hot. Heat kills MF batts and it shows since MF batts last much longer in continental cars as compared to jap cars.

So me and a buddy have come with an idea to rewire our car batteries to the car-boot instead of having it under the bonnet next to the very hot engine.

The bracket and 'holding' mechanism we have figured wouldn't be so hard to DIY and customise it. But for the wiring, we will go to a good wireman to do it.

The thing is, i'd like to share this idea and get any opinions (positive+negative) about this project from all you ZTH bros out there.

Esp from mr.johnsonlam the DIY SiFu... :lol:

Seriously, any feedback (positive or negative) is appreciated! Thanks!
Hi differ .. You rock

This is a really good DIY and you will be really satisfied with the result. Especially when you open up your bonet and see more space there and people see... "Eh, where's the battery" :lol: :D

Anyway.. Back to the DIY part. Yes it is possible to do that. But must be very very careful to check the wiring from time to time to see if it is hot. (Afraid, will melt / burn)

Things needed :
- Very very thick power cables (4 gauge minimum) RED Coloured
- Very very thick power cables (4 gauge minimum) BLUE or Any DARK Colour
- Battery Clips
- Good Quality wire insulator
- Battery MOunting Pieces

Steps :
- Remove original battery
- Install battery in the rear
- Connect original -VE part of the terminal wires to your new Dark Coloured Cables
- Connect original +VE part of the terminal wires to your new RED coloured cables.
- Wire all the way to the back. (DON't conceal the wire yet. MUST TEST)
- Connect the RED to +VE terminal and DARK to -VE
- Check all connection before plugin into the Battery (-VE Go first)
- Start your car.. on all electronic, drive around (Hold the new cables once a while to test if it is HOT.)
- IF HOT : Change thicker cables...
- After testing (Better if a few days..) Conceal the wire loh.. :)

DONE !!

old_junkie

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
if we are to rewire the battery to the rear.. can we use normal battery?
i heard from a fren that if use the normal battery, the acidic smell will flow to the cabin

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by old_junkie@Dec 2 2003, 10:53 AM
if we are to rewire the battery to the rear.. can we use normal battery?
i heard from a fren that if use the normal battery, the acidic smell will flow to the cabin
Well.. maybe true.

Anyway, if someone so hardcore until re-locate battery.. Usually either use maintanance free batt or Dry Cells loh..

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by old_junkie@Dec 2 2003, 10:58 AM
thats the problem.... my car still wif my mech.. rewired the battery to rear... still using the normal battery... scared got smell... :)
Can try install air scope at the boot :) hahah (Joking)

ANyway, check your boot. My rear have air holes.. To flow out the hot air in the boot area (Old car Nissan Sunny).

b11boy

Nov 21, 2003
Yeah, that's what was in my mind when I start thinking to engine transplant....

Well, is it easily done by DIY??? or just let the mech to do that during transplant. My plan is a bit different one, add on another bat at the back there instead of move it.

Why, because after the transplan definitely will play with the ice one lor... takut not enought power lor.... :blink:

headache

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
The longer the battery wires(resistance) are from the alternator/regulator, the higher the losses are - Ohms' law.
Look at the location of your existing battery and look for air pathways that it gets. It may not be necessary to relocate it for cooling purpose.
My 2 cents.

headache

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by b11boy@Dec 2 2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah, that's what was in my mind when I start thinking to engine transplant....

Well, is it easily done by DIY??? or just let the mech to do that during transplant. My plan is a bit different one, add on another bat at the back there instead of move it.

Why, because after the transplan definitely will play with the ice one lor... takut not enought power lor.... :blink:
You may need to change to a higher rating alternator. Remember that it's the alternator that provides the power to your car/ICE, once the engines starts.
My 2 cents.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone knows how to improve a car's braking power? My car uses disc brake in front and drums for the rear...rear very hard 2 convert to disc brake.. :( got any steel braided brake lines for proton or not? can proton tiara use other car's brake lines? i mean da steel braided ones designed for other cars... :shocked:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience